Airplane crashes into supermarket

The story said that two "victims" were treated at the scene.

What does that mean anyway? Their injuries were so minor there was no need to take them to a hospital, like when you burn your finger on a hot pot?

Does this mean all the times I have gotten a boo boo that I was a "victim"?

-John

The store is in line with a runway at Deland airport (KDED) and not to far out. One eyewitness said the plane sputtered then they saw fire out of the engine followed by starting a turn and a plunge into the store. Sounds like stall/incipient spin after losing power on the climb out. I'm sure we'll know more (and quite possibly different) after the NTSB report.

The two pilots are still in the hospital in critical condition but alive. I haven;t heard a prognosis. The folks on the ground were all treated and released.

(Hey, it's in my neck of the woods!)
John

The store is in line with a runway at Deland airport (KDED) and not to far out. One eyewitness said the plane sputtered then they saw fire out of the engine followed by starting a turn and a plunge into the store. Sounds like stall/incipient spin after losing power on the climb out. I'm sure we'll know more (and quite possibly different) after the NTSB report.

The two pilots are still in the hospital in critical condition but alive. I haven;t heard a prognosis. The folks on the ground were all treated and released.

(Hey, it's in my neck of the woods!)
John

Wait, the two pilots survived? It looked pretty bad in the video.

So it's not the experimental twin engine sky diving plane the news was squawking from the box earlier?:rolleyes:

No kidding - There's no apparent effort whatsoever by the groundhog media to get such "minor" details correct.

One of the local reports last evening plainly reported it as a twin-engine aircraft, in the paragraph immediately before a pull quote from an eyewitness stating it was a 'yellow, single-engine airplane.' Gotta figure one of them was probably right.

No kidding - There's no apparent effort whatsoever by the groundhog media to get such "minor" details correct.

One of the local reports last evening plainly reported it as a twin-engine aircraft, in the paragraph immediately before a pull quote from an eyewitness stating it was a 'yellow, single-engine airplane.' Gotta figure one of them was probably right.

Everything prior to that post I had seen in the media said twin engine ( likely misheard amphibian) experimental. I thought it was an AirCam.

National Traffic Safety Board investigator Luke Schiada said the aircraft, a four-passenger Seawind 3000 amateur-built plane, was almost completely destroyed and melted.

Well that's interesting considering we've been talking about the Seawind in another thread.

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if they were tankering as much fuel as they could haul.

That would be my guess too. I'm thinking they were on their way back to home in Illinois, I believe it was.

What thread?

Wasn't it the Seawind in the amphib thread?

Maybe some other "sea" named aircraft.

I will now quietly admit that without any aviation-authorized water around here for hundreds of miles, I often skim anything posted that's related to seaplanes to avoid jealousy. ;)

Wasn't it the Seawind in the amphib thread?

Maybe some other "sea" named aircraft.

I will now quietly admit that without any aviation-authorized water around here for hundreds of miles, I often skim anything posted that's related to seaplanes to avoid jealousy. ;)

If you fly to Leadville to replace your mug (did I read that in another thread?), there is a Seawind based there.

If you fly to Leadville to replace your mug (did I read that in another thread?), there is a Seawind based there.

Cool. I've never seen anything that's based there. The hangars are always all buttoned up and no other pilots around other than us transients.

Oh and that helicopter high altitude test group's equipment trailer was there but no whirlybirds the day I bought the mug.

I've always lusted after one.I got a ride in a turbine one years ago. It performed with that Allison 250.

When I read about that crash into the supermarket, I was worried until I talked with my parents. My parents live ten miles from there, and my father has a Seawind. It wasn't them, and they don't know the pilot.

This morning the local news radio station had a teaser "More info on why the plane crashed into the store". The they had two short sounds bites from the professor of experimental aircraft at Embry Riddle.
1) Announcer: "Most pilots prefer single engines"
Professor: "They buy a kit and build it themselves."

2) Announcer: "Even though Deland airport is controlled by the FAA, there is no control tower."
Professor: "The primary means of avoiding collisions is looking out the windshield."

Last bit: "The FAA did not return phone calls."

To quote Dr. Bruce: "Sigh."

John
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It wouldn't be so distressing if people didn't actually hang on every word of these news agencies because they never go outside.

Most smart folk either turn off the "news" completely or have developed sensitive BS and weasel-word mental meters that trip and alarm on every headline, and then attempt to pull fact from the hyperbole, if they really feel like watching.

Unfortunately, developing a solid BS meter requires thought and practice, something rarely seen as "worth it" by most.

And usually they're just watching to see what the latest fad scare is so they know which way the wind is going to blow tomorrow in D.C., so they're not caught too off guard at the next law passed that controls them and diminishes their freedoms while benefitting campaign donors.

It wouldn't be so distressing if people didn't actually hang on every word of these news agencies because they never go outside.

Most smart folk either turn off the "news" completely or have developed sensitive BS and weasel-word mental meters that trip and alarm on every headline, and then attempt to pull fact from the hyperbole, if they really feel like watching.

Unfortunately, developing a solid BS meter requires thought and practice, something rarely seen as "worth it" by most.

And usually they're just watching to see what the latest fad scare is so they know which way the wind is going to blow tomorrow in D.C., so they're not caught too off guard at the next law passed that controls them and diminishes their freedoms while benefitting campaign donors.

I haven't watched the news or TV in general (on a regular basis at least) in years. All it does is anger and / or depress me. Which means I depend on the people in my life (you guys, the people at work, my boyfriend, my family and friends, people in public) to keep me informed. And you know what? If anything major happens, my method works! I find out right away, and don't have to hear about all the non-major, non-important stuff. Ignorance is bliss.

I agree with Kimberly. We cancelled our cable 3 years ago and never looked back. What a wonderful life it is without TV, not to mention saving $100+/month paying for something we used less than 1/10th of.

I haven't watched the news or TV in general (on a regular basis at least) in years. All it does is anger and / or depress me. Which means

It is doing exactly as they intended. That's what they're looking for. People are so confused and scared, just add hungry and it's all over for the current system. That's why Wall Street makes sure that the tax payer subsidizes Cargil to ensure the farmer can only barely stay above water most years with a boom and a bust here or there. You can tell how prosperous the region is historically by looking how many additions are on the old farm houses. This allows them to maximize their profits while still keeping everybody that can be seen adequately fed.

Me too Kim.

The average person is only capable of X amount of thought. The goal of media is to occupy all that thought capability so they can perpetrate their evil in broad daylight barely noticed by the fringes. Everyone who has ever been through a failed relationship knows emotional issues take priority over rational thought, you can take 3 given emotional issues and incapacitate the average mans ability to attain rational thought much less see and understand the true evil that is being perpetrated on them. Fear and love are the strongest emotions we have. Love works ok, but fear is much more effective on a broader audience. If you have about 100 events across 7 highly emotional topics presented in such a way to provide the greatest emotion with minimal fact 24/7 through a plethora of outlets under many formats, one to meet everyone's personal quirk, you can then easily manipulate 80% of the people into perpetrating evil in emulation. That is the long and short of the society we live in.

The average person is only capable of X amount of thought. The goal of media is to occupy all that thought capability so they can perpetrate their evil in broad daylight barely noticed by the fringes. Everyone who has ever been through a failed relationship knows emotional issues take priority over rational thought, you can take 3 given emotional issues and incapacitate the average mans ability to attain rational thought much less see and understand the true evil that is being perpetrated on them. Fear and love are the strongest emotions we have. Love works ok, but fear is much more effective on a broader audience. If you have about 100 events across 7 highly emotional topics presented in such a way to provide the greatest emotion with minimal fact 24/7 through a plethora of outlets under many formats, one to meet everyone's personal quirk, you can then easily manipulate 80% of the people into perpetrating evil in emulation. That is the long and short of the society we live in.

Who you callin' average? I'm pretty far from average. I just don't agree with the way they present the news or what they choose to cover so I don't watch. They could EASILY find "happy endings" and "good stories" but they don't think that is news.

You know, "they" really do have it down to that much of a science.

Last edited:
Who you callin' average? I'm pretty far from average. I just don't agree with the way they present the news or what they choose to cover so I don't watch. They could EASILY find "happy endings" and "good stories" but they don't think that is news.

Where did I indicate you were average? Your rejection of the media wouldn't do anything to lead to that conclusion.:confused::dunno:

Back