Airman Cerification Standards

TommyG

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Last edited:
I think that they are excellent in that they serve as a syllabus of sorts. If an instructor covers everything in the ACS, his/her student should be better prepared than under the PTS.

Bob Gardner

It's always good to read the free FAA publications,after all they set the standards for the tests.

On my read, the biggest difference is greater integration of knowledge and ADM/CRM (decision-making & resource manegement) into the flight tasks. Whether the goal of reducing accidents will be met is a separate question.

Pretty much leaves no room for the student to not know the information.

Maybe, there will be no more "Can I log this" questions on here anymore. I think one great area to be covered "Seasonal weather phenomena".
It is very thorough compared to the regular PTS. But leaves a lot more room for a DPE to fail someone.

I don't know, I mean were all these changes really needed?

Seems the FAA just "fixes" stuff now, almost like it's just busy work to justify their paychecks comming in.

All that said we still don't have any real changes in the 3rd class medical or part 23 to allow better saftey equipment in most of the fleet.

I don't know, I mean were all these changes really needed?

Seems the FAA just "fixes" stuff now, almost like it's just busy work to justify their paychecks comming in.

All that said we still don't have any real changes in the 3rd class medical or part 23 to allow better saftey equipment in most of the fleet.
So what's the answer?? Folks hate when FAA changes stuff, but they hate the way it currently is?? Which way ha the answer??
No FAA is clearly not the answer... Could you imagine commercial airliners with zero maintenance required, or zero pilot quals required?? Heck, Boeing wouldn't even need to build planes to any standards whatsoever...

The current system works rather well.

Seems like the real issues that people in the industry would like to see fixed are.

3rd class (non commercial ops) medical reform, and common sense, like not requiring someone to undergo crazy expensive tests just because his parents were sold on the ADD craze for a couple years when he was a little kid, that type of thing.

Easier adoption of saftey equipment into certified aircraft. Look at some of the instruments and even LED lights you can get in the experimental world, you don't hear about RVs and Glassairs lawn darting because their glass panels and $50 LED landing lights went TU. Regulations are good, however over regulation is nearly as bad as zero regulation.

I'm not sure about the tangent you were going down on 121/135 check rides

The current system works rather well.

Seems like the real issues that people in the industry would like to see fixed are.

3rd class (non commercial ops) medical reform

Easier adoption of saftey equipment into certified aircraft.

I'm not sure about the tangent you were going down on 121/135 check rides

Maybe I missed something?? I don't recall mentioning 135/121 checkrides in any form. Perhaps you are reffering to someone else and I missed it..??

So what's the answer?? Folks hate when FAA changes stuff, but they hate the way it currently is?? Which way ha the answer??
No FAA is clearly not the answer... Could you imagine commercial airliners with zero maintenance required, or zero pilot quals required?? Heck, Boeing wouldn't even need to build planes to any standards whatsoever...

In my work we have often noticed that there are two things our employees hate more than anything:

1) Change.
2) The way things are.

The new ACS will be more a change of form than of substance. It's mainly an attempt to integrate training into a single point source that considers aeronautical knowledge, practical skills, and performance standards. Also note that a new Knowledge Test Supplement is coming in June. The current one has a lot of errors in it. Students taking the Knowledge test from June forward should expect a few more question changes.

Back