Airliner collides with drone in Mozambique

By the looks was the impact more from the side than from the front?

Help me understand why you say the gear would have hit first? The only way I can picture that is if the plane was a VTOL type.
Well, whether it was an approach light stantion or the localizer antenna array, they at typically within a few feet of the ground. A 737 in the landing configuration and on speed will have a nose up attitude of a few degrees. The wheels will hit the array before the nose will.

UPDATE: https://www.thedigitalcircuit.com/breaking-mozambique-incident-not-a-drone-collision/

Not a drone.

"...on the AV Herald website. It states the following:

'On Jan 10th 2017 Mozambique’s Civil Aviation Authority reported that they concluded the radome most probably failed as result of a structural failure caused by air flow pressure, contributing factors probably were a defective installation of the radome and inspection of the ribs.

A foreign object damage was ruled out
.'”

Last edited:
well....don't that make the cheese more binding? :eek:
UPDATE: https://www.thedigitalcircuit.com/breaking-mozambique-incident-not-a-drone-collision/

Not a drone.

"...on the AV Herald website. It states the following:

“On Jan 10th 2017 Mozambique’s Civil Aviation Authority reported that they concluded the radome most probably failed as result of a structural failure caused by air flow pressure, contributing factors probably were a defective installation of the radome and inspection of the ribs.

“A foreign object damage was ruled out.”

I am at the age where I am forced to wear a full faced helmet while on a motorcycle, or my face will deform like that at speed....

Well, that would seem to make a bit more sense.

How does that radome equalize pressure on descent, and how would improper installation cause failure? Sealant over a vent?
The aircraft fwd pressure bulkhead is aft of the radome. The radome is not normally under pressurization load.

The radar wave guide is pressurized but I believe the drain slot at the bottom of the radome could adequately vent it. It would take quite a bit of sealant to seal it.

The radome is honeycomb composite (Nomex), I suspect an improper repair.

Last edited:
The aircraft fwd pressure bulkhead is aft of the radome. The radome is not normally under pressurization load.

The radar wave guide is pressurized but I believe the drain slot at the bottom of the radome could adequately vent it. It would take quite a bit of sealant to seal it.

The radome is honeycomb composite (Nomex), I suspect an improper repair.

Thanks. Knew it was ahead of the pressure bulkhead, but wasn't sure how well sealed it the radome was, and if there was a vent that could have been plugged.

Looking at the crush from the side, was thinking of a collapsing soda bottle, coming down from altitude after the top was screwed back on.

"the airline says that the flight’s crew heard the bang of a possible mid-air collision during the landing approach"

I wouldn't have suspected that the airspeeds at low altitude during landing approach is a high stress period where aerodynamic pressure can cave in the side of the radome.

Could have been crack in it, fly through rain on climb out, water freezes at altitude, expands, repeat till failure.

Back