Airline travel: Next best thing to riding the subway

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44383220

Emirates Airline has unveiled a new first class suite on board its latest aircraft that features virtual windows.

Instead of being able to see directly outside, passengers view images projected in from outside the aircraft using fibre-optic cameras.

The airline says it paves the way for removing all windows from future planes, making them lighter and faster.

Emirates president Sir Tim Clark said the images were "so good, it's better than with the natural eye".

The virtual windows can be found in the first class cabin of Emirates' newest Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.

Sir Tim told the BBC that the ultimate aim was to have planes with no windows at all.

Emirates Airline has unveiled a new first class suite on board its latest aircraft that features virtual windows.

Instead of being able to see directly outside, passengers view images projected in from outside the aircraft using fibre-optic cameras.

The airline says it paves the way for removing all windows from future planes, making them lighter and faster.

Emirates president Sir Tim Clark said the images were "so good, it's better than with the natural eye".

The virtual windows can be found in the first class cabin of Emirates' newest Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.

Sir Tim told the BBC that the ultimate aim was to have planes with no windows at all.

Oh....there will be barf

Speaking of sketch ball airlines, I found that by booking my tickets where I had plenty of time you're almost able to fly for free.

Since the cheap bastards overbook everything just stand right by the counter, they'll ask for someone to give up there seat, wait till they over $500 and say OK, go grab a beer, hop on your flight.

I've been able to do this rather frequently.

Windowless airplanes..??? I was on a windowless ship one time and that was the worst half day I ever spent on the water.

I found that by booking my tickets where I had plenty of time you're almost able to fly for free.

I have volunteered for a later flight a few times, and got moved onto 1st class every time except once.

Windowless airplanes..??? I was on a windowless ship one time and that was the worst half day I ever spent on the water.
It takes a while to get used to for most folks. I always told the new kids on the ship to remember that their eyes were lying to them, that seemed to help most of them.

Not the worst idea. I've spent lots of time flying in tubes with all the windows shut.

It takes a while to get used to for most folks. I always told the new kids on the ship to remember that their eyes were lying to them, that seemed to help most of them.

I have been on ships, yachts and small fishing boats before, but that one time without windows made me nauseous, until I was able to get outside, then I was fine. I never had problems on a boat, or plane, except that one time and I think it was because I could not see out a window to help adjust.

Gonna just be a matter of time before some wise guy is going to 'hack' into that.

Riding in the back of a C-130 would be good training for a windowless airplane, especially for those in steerage. Of course opening the ramp for a drop sort of spoils the no window effect.

Cheers

I fly airlines a lot and it seems that most people close the window shade as soon as they sit down (if it's even open). It amazes me that they would rather stare at TV shows on a 7" tablet than look outside. I must be getting old. :) The no window airplane makes sense; no doubt the virtual window be a better view. If it's a real time display with no processing lag it should even work for giving passengers a horizon view to prevent barfing.

You could transport even more humans in the tube by giving them anesthesia so they stay unconscious and stacking them up on shelves. I mean between this and the security BS you might as well now.

I mean.. why even bother with fake windows and projected images? The last dozen or so flights I've been on there have been probably one or two windows open on the entire flight (if any at all). People get on and close the window shade immediately then spend the whole taxi, flight, etc., scrolling Facebook and complaining to their friends later that they got airsick and traveling sucks

Personally, I hate the idea of a windowless airplane and love that Boeing put BIG windows on the 787 and made them dimmable, rather than closable

A few years ago I was returning from Europe on a United 777. The huddled masses had been, um, encouraged by the friendly cabin crew to keep the windowshades closed.

The GPS display on the seat-back video screen showed we were just crossing the east coast of Greenland. Rebel that I am, I decided to sneak a peek outside. It was worth it.

IMG_1346_HDR.jpeg

You could transport even more humans in the tube by giving them anesthesia so they stay unconscious and stacking them up on shelves. I mean between this and the security BS you might as well now.
You say that in jest.. but we're honestly headed that way. I mean, pretty much every scifi story, movie, show, etc., puts the humans in "stasis" and then stacks them up on pods. Wall-E was a prophecy.

I have been on ships, yachts and small fishing boats before, but that one time without windows made me nauseous, until I was able to get outside, then I was fine. I never had problems on a boat, or plane, except that one time and I think it was because I could not see out a window to help adjust.
That's it. The eyes tell you that nothing is moving while the inner ear says different. As long as folks were topside most were fine in anything but very rough seas, but below was a different story if they weren't used to it.

To keep this on topic I actually like the idea of windowless airliners IF they have the virtual windows. The "windows" could then be made much larger. If folks had the kind of view out of an airplane as they do out the side windows of their cars flying might just be that much more interesting for them.

The "windows" could then be made much larger. If folks had the kind of view out of an airplane as they do out the side windows of their cars flying might just be that much more interesting for them.
"We'll return to your view of the Grand Canyon in just a moment. But first, this word from Taco Bell ... "

o_O

To keep this on topic I actually like the idea of windowless airliners IF they have the virtual windows. The "windows" could then be made much larger. If folks had the kind of view out of an airplane as they do out the side windows of their cars flying might just be that much more interesting for them.

the A380's flown by United Emirates have 12 cameras mounted all over the plane that you can call up on your seat screen,not the greatest resolution but pretty fun to watch the nosewheel and tail cameras on takeoff & landing.

“Windowless” does not mean no outside view. It means that the view is projected. It makes sense from an engineering/construction standpoint but I am not so sure the complexity of the projection system would make it worth the effort.

Can’t wait to fly with the best FO everrrrrrr. He never does anything wrong.

86B76F97-ACF3-4371-82D8-8D1E9779CFA2.jpeg

Open the pod bay door, Hal!

Actually, this might be like Vegas. Install some craps tables and slots....

I hate to admit that this actually sounds pretty good to me. I fly coach a lot. :)

I always thought that there should be a way to efficiently design space in a airline cabin to allow (low rent) passengers to be stretched out, instead of seated. I imagine the problem is that many people couldn't climb a short ladder and crawl onto their shelf (or into their tube), or they might not fit, or they might not tolerate being horizontal for the entire trip. Also, there are the passenger restraint and aircraft evacuation issues.

That ****es me off. It’s bad enough I have to travel for work, the only enjoyable part is looking out the window. Now with my EFB app, it’s even more fun. A solid cloud deck spoils some of the fun, but still ok.

I was on a flight once where the flight attendant was being a pain. She told me twice I had to keep the shade closed while on the ground, for cooling. Third time, I closed it before she got to me.

I’m generally courteous, if everyone is sleeping early in the morning, and the sun is hitting my neighbor, I’ll lower it a bit.

-Grumpy

Personally, I hate the idea of a windowless airplane and love that Boeing put BIG windows on the 787 and made them dimmable, rather than closable
Since you know it was digitally altered, how do you know what you were seeing 'through' it was real? ;)

Nauga
comfortably dim

You could transport even more humans in the tube by giving them anesthesia so they stay unconscious...
I think they did this to the guy I sat next to on my last transpac.

Nauga,
who says, "Dude was OUT!"

Can’t wait to fly with the best FO everrrrrrr. He never does anything wrong.
He's already in most commercial transports, he's just buried in the panel. This one's portable.

Nauga,
alias ALIAS

I fly airlines a lot and it seems that most people close the window shade as soon as they sit down (if it's even open). It amazes me that they would rather stare at TV shows on a 7" tablet than look outside. I must be getting old. :) The no window airplane makes sense; no doubt the virtual window be a better view. If it's a real time display with no processing lag it should even work for giving passengers a horizon view to prevent barfing.

What is there to see out a 777 side window for hours on end at 37,000 ft?

Last edited:
He's already in most commercial transports, he's just buried in the panel. This one's portable.

Nauga,
alias ALIAS

Which means the FAA won't certify this one for IFR navigation. ;)

A few years ago I was returning from Europe on a United 777. The huddled masses had been, um, encouraged by the friendly cabin crew to keep the windowshades closed.

The GPS display on the seat-back video screen showed we were just crossing the east coast of Greenland. Rebel that I am, I decided to sneak a peek outside. It was worth it.

View attachment 63830

Those Greenland mountains look close because they are high. But I find the rest of that route between Europe and North America pretty boring at altitude.

I use ForeFlight to show the airports, then I attempt to identify them from the air. This can keep me entertained for hours.:p

You could transport even more humans in the tube by giving them anesthesia so they stay unconscious and stacking them up on shelves.

Sounds like that scene from The Fifth Element where they cram all the passengers into little compartments, hit the magic sleep button, and *poof* they all go out like a light.

It's often better than the movies.

Except for the first picture, this is from one business trip to Beijing followed by Portland, OR via Seattle. Foreflight is great showing where one is located, and also lets me see what else is coming so I'm prepared to grab a picture.

40570604862_49a63c2b17_z.jpg

Beijing followed by Portland
36756652850_dc0e77ea7d_z.jpg

35713376813_9a8e1ab4ac_z.jpg

36523143975_5c5be33d40_z.jpg

36475660216_b18649261d_z.jpg

35782661284_2d4bb37892_z.jpg

35808505203_0c25e98cdd_z.jpg

36221031200_40c77d1b79_z.jpg

36479870601_a0c32bd4c7_z.jpg

36221155980_da86cab97e_z.jpg

36571214796_10e466d91e_z.jpg

35782911174_700f009f0e_z.jpg

Recent business trips here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacksilver/albums/with/72157685221182503

My CO and I were granted waivers to ride back seat in the EA-6B by our Group Commander. We did the sims to get checked out, but sitting in the simulator and seeing the one tiny window above my head, I figured it was a bad idea. So I gave them the “thanks but no thanks.” My CO flew twice (he’s a AH-1 pilot) and became violently ill both times. He tells a hilarious story about it, but I’m not envious!:D

My CO and I were granted waivers to ride back seat in the EA-6B [...] seeing the one tiny window above my head, I figured it was a bad idea.
ea6b-199b.jpg

It's a f'n greenhouse compared to a Phantom, even better compared to a Whale.

Nauga,
ballast unit, self-propelled

Sounds like that scene from The Fifth Element where they cram all the passengers into little compartments, hit the magic sleep button, and *poof* they all go out like a light.

Which, of course, made all the fight scenes in that movie stupid, since the same tech could just have put an entire room to sleep.

Multipass. :)

I mean.. why even bother with fake windows and projected images? The last dozen or so flights I've been on there have been probably one or two windows open on the entire flight (if any at all). People get on and close the window shade immediately then spend the whole taxi, flight, etc., scrolling Facebook and complaining to their friends later that they got airsick and traveling sucks

Aren't those the neatest little things? Even intuitive to use . . .

I flew economy on United from Houston to LA this week. I got a window seat but they’d pushed the seats closer together than the plane was designed for so my window was in line with my seat back and so low I couldn't see anywhere but nearly straight down and behind me. Ticked me off.
Gary

Back