Aircraft unresponsive and heading out to sea

probably a stupid question, but is there anything these jets can do other than just follow them? I mean I know this aint the movies, but do they have any technique they can use to help the plane come down in altitude?

probably a stupid question, but is there anything these jets can do other than just follow them? I mean I know this aint the movies, but do they have any technique they can use to help the plane come down in altitude?

Other than attempting to re-establish communications with the pilot as the plane descends through breathable air... no.

Does the TBM700 have left and right tanks? Do you have to switch between them or does it draw from both? I'm guessing by the distance traveled it draws from both.

If you read the comments posted in the newspaper article on the Cirrus that was lost in the ocean, the jets should be able to string a net between them and capture the aircraft and drop it at an airport. :rolleyes:

Will NORAD reconnect after Cuban airspace?

looks like they are close to the max range of that plane.........

Does the TBM700 have left and right tanks? Do you have to switch between them or does it draw from both? I'm guessing by the distance traveled it draws from both.

The 850 automatically switches tanks every 10 minutes. I would imagine the 900 is the same.

If you read the comments posted in the newspaper article on the Cirrus that was lost in the ocean, the jets should be able to string a net between them and capture the aircraft and drop it at an airport. :rolleyes:

Yea this is bad! Outcome is not favorable. Looks like its almost at Jamaica now.:(

I know nothing of pressurized aircraft other than when I fly commercial:

Assuming a loss of cabin pressure is the cause: What would be the most likely reason for a leak in this scenario?

I have read that the pilot is a mucky-muck in the TBM type club, has many thousands of TBM hours.

One can but hope that, perhaps, when the aircraft begins its descent following power loss from fuel exhaustion, the pilot might regain consciousness in time to at least accomplish a controlled ditching. Much difference between 25k and 35k.

loosing altitude now

With autopilot/alt hold on it probably won't make a nice glide to sea. I'm guessing it would stall. Anyone know more about the system?

:( Hope a miracle happens and they wake up, on the way down now..

Flightaware now shows a change of direction?

plane changed from green to clear in flightaware?!?

prayers for pilot, passengers and their families.

I know nothing of pressurized aircraft other than when I fly commercial:

Assuming a loss of cabin pressure is the cause: What would be the most likely reason for a leak in this scenario?

A gradual leak often comes from a leaky door seal, which I would think would be unusual on a relatively new aircraft. Maybe some kind of mechanical interference with a seal..?

Perhaps of note, in addition to the cabin clamshell door, this aircraft also has the optional pilot's door up front.

That was odd, I hope it wasn't just a coincidence it turned right toward MKTP in Jamaica while it was descending.

Stopped tracking right a few miles from the airport. Hopefully a miracle.

A gradual leak often comes from a leaky door seal, which I would think would be unusual on a relatively new aircraft. Maybe some kind of mechanical interference with a seal..?

Perhaps of note, in addition to the cabin clamshell door, this aircraft also has the optional pilot's door up front.

Or a problem with the outflow valves.

Jamaicans saying it has crashed on the island. RIP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or a problem with the outflow valves.

Do the seals inflate?

Do the seals inflate?

On a TBM, no idea. On the pressurized plane I fly, the seals are designed to inflate by the process of air trying to rush out of the door frame. Small wholes in the seal allow the air to travel into the seal and inflate it, at least in theory. I would imagine most are like that, in some way/shape/form.

I wonder how hard it would be to hook something into these autopilots that would automatically start a descent in the event of pressure loss.

I ask these questions out of complete ignorance of 02 systems and the effects of rapid decompression on the human body-

If you have a rapid decompression does the air get sucked out of your lungs? If not I would think that a pilot would have time to react by putting on an 02 mask.

If the leak is slow I could see where a pilot not monitoring their 02 level could gradually fade away. Is cabin 02 monitoring in these types of planes not SOP. How about monitoring ones own 02 levels?

I ask these questions out of complete ignorance of 02 systems and the effects of rapid decompression on the human body-

If you have a rapid decompression does the air get sucked out of your lungs? If not I would think that a pilot would have time to react by putting on an 02 mask.

If the leak is slow I could see where a pilot not monitoring their 02 level could gradually fade away. Is cabin 02 monitoring in these types of planes not SOP. How about monitoring ones own 02 levels?
I don't know the physiology either (other than what I needed to know at the checkride). But I would guess that a slow leak, and a slow loss of O2 can make you stupid.

You don't generally monitor O2 levels, you monitor cabin altitude. Generally, you're going to have an annunciator that comes on when the cabin altitude exceeds a certain value (depends on the preset value, for instance in the 1900C, its 12500)

I wonder how hard it would be to hook something into these autopilots that would automatically start a descent in the event of pressure loss.

Simple, Cirrus does it and they aren't even pressurized, they just set if for 13,000'. All it takes is a "dead man switch" really.

Back