Aircraft Registration

RLVoumard

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RLV
Just received via USPS an updated Aircraft Registration for my Piper Cherokee....Did I miss something , as I did nothing ahead of time... Is this "hand off" good thur Aug 31, 2029

Same here. Didn't study it much, just tossed it in the rego holder with the rest of em. I think I was 2029 also.

FAA updated to a 7 year interval and have been sending out new registrations to show the change.

What was the expiration date on the old one and what is it on the new one?

It's been discussed in several threads since the reg changed in November. The regulation changed to make registrations good for seven instead of three years. The FAA has been sending out new ones with the updated date.

@Racerx beat me to it.

Regulations changed to 7 years so new ones will be mailed out. Didn’t get mine yet. But the internet reflects the date under the tail number and it says any certs expiring (under the previous 3 year calculation) are still valid or something like that.

Regulations changed to 7 years so new ones will be mailed out. Didn’t get mine yet. But the internet reflects the date under the tail number and it says any certs expiring (under the previous 3 year calculation) are still valid or something like that.
Yes, they are valid. Originally the FAA said replacements were not necessary. But while that may have worked domestically, you wouldn't want to, for example, be ramp checked in a foreign country with a registration that on its face appeared to be invalid.

Yes, they are valid. Originally the FAA said replacements were not necessary. But while that may have worked domestically, you wouldn't want to, for example, be ramp checked in a foreign country with a registration that on its face appeared to be invalid.
Someone had tunnel vision on that one.

Someone had tunnel vision on that one.
No for long.

The regulation itself just says, "A Certificate of Aircraft Registration that is in effect on January 23, 2023 expires seven years after the last day of the month in which it is issued, notwithstanding the expiration date on the valid Certificate of Aircraft Registration." Makes sense. It could avoid a bunch of renewal requests in a system already overburdened (pretty much the reason for the change to begin with). But the FAA was quick to realize it was only a short term solution and not an implementation strategy.

Off the wall question. Why 7? Why not 5 or 10? Just seems odd.

Just got my new registration card now says 2029

Off the wall question. Why 7? Why not 5 or 10? Just seems odd.
Probably because some people wanted 5 years. Others said 10. So they argued for far too long and decided on 7.

Or the folks at OKC are hardcore gamblers.

Probably because some people wanted 5 years. Others said 10. So they argued for far too long and decided on 7.

That can't be it because they would have come up with 90 months or something similar, ya know, "to be fair"... :rolleyes:

I found the registration I got in the mail a couple months ago that was lost in my junk mail and finally put it in the plane yesterday thanks to this thread.

Back