Aircraft paint

Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2SkiesBetterHalf
We're looking at getting @Mtns2Skies's 180 repainted in the near future and have gotten a couple of quotes from places in the midwest. One was around $22k and the other $35k. We were expecting $15k to repaint the plane in the same paint scheme (white base, green accent).

Are we off base on our estimate? If so, what should we expect?

Does anybody have recommendations for paint shops (preferably northern midwest)?

It's all in the preparation. That's labor intensive. Might try locations or areas in the country where labor/staffing costs lower, and lots of planes? Perhaps Some of the Texas based folks here can recommend?

Labor rates are sky high, EPA disposal is expensive, paint is over $300.00 for some systems and colors.
Yet I believe those prices are way high.
but then Sunquest in PAE is charging that to paint brand new Quest aircraft.

Wipaire in St Paul, MN does paint. There used to be Euroair in Reedsburg, WI, but he closed up. A LOT of people go to the Mena, AR shops, but I already told Austin about them.

Sounds high. I could see what shop in AZ that a friend used on his airplane of similar size and what-not. I don't recall his repaint being quite that high. But it was a few years ago.

Thanks for the replies so far! Sounds like we need to start getting more quotes and be willing to travel.

A LOT of people go to the Mena, AR shops, but I already told Austin about them.
He must have forgotten to mention that or I forgot he mentioned it (he's not up right now, so let's blame him ;)). Any shops in particular there? We've also contacted Wipaire, but haven't gotten a response yet.

I could see what shop in AZ that a friend used on his airplane of similar size and what-not.
That'd be great!

Labor rates are sky high, EPA disposal is expensive, paint is over $300.00 for some systems and colors.
Yet I believe those prices are way high.
but then Sunquest in PAE is charging that to paint brand new Quest aircraft.
just $300 for paint?....you prolly meant to add another zero?

Look in Texas,Vermont,Pennsylvania,Florida. Shops are competitive in those states.

I paid $10K for my paint job (three color Valspar polyurethane) at the paint shop at KCNO in SoCal, but I did all disassembly/assembly myself to lower the cost. Also, it was bare aluminum to begin with, so no labor charge for stripping existing paint, which can be considerable.

I paid $10K for my paint job (three color Valspar polyurethane) at the paint shop at KCNO in SoCal, but I did all disassembly/assembly myself to lower the cost. Also, it was bare aluminum to begin with, so no labor charge for stripping existing paint, which can be considerable.
Century?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back