Aircraft Modifications/Customization

All I will say is that it wasn't dubbed the "Frankenkota" for nothing...

(nope, no modifications here, nothing to see, move along)

I do like the thought of curb feelers though. Maybe chrome vortex generators and gap seals would be stylin' too...

That thing need some blackout paint on the nice bright LED landing lights, debadging to remove all the Piper logos, some tinted windows you can't see through, chrome 20"+ wheels with spinners and low clearance run-flat tires that can't get it over a speed bump without grinding the undercarriage, a landing gear drop kit to lower it another 6", and a new mega-watt stereo with a honking huge subwoofer in the back for your beats, and two or three flip out DVD screens for each seat including the pilot. Don't forget the alarm system that goes "bock-bock" and flashes the Nav lights when you get out and push the keyfob button.

Let's pimp Clark's ride! ;)

Some here need to be reminded that many upgrades are simply FAA/PMA authorized replacement parts

Which is far from anything I would consider 'custom'.

But that's the beauty of customization - your opinion is irrelevant for my airplane.

But that's the beauty of customization - your opinion is irrelevant for my airplane.

Actually, in order to consider parts swapping that other people have done already 'custom', you have to be liberal with the definition, in the 'Custom' world, we call that 'copy', not 'custom'.

Another example of why experimental aircraft are the way to go. Any mods, any time, by anyone. :D

I don't think it's quite that simple.
They must still meet their letter of limitations. That's why we have conditional inspections, and why the FAA has gone to making FAR 43-D a required portion of the inspection.

Replace the engine with a different make or model and see if the aircraft meets it's letter of limitations.

They must still meet their letter of limitations. That's why we have conditional inspections, and why the FAA has gone to making FAR 43-D a required portion of the inspection.

Replace the engine with a different make or model and see if the aircraft meets it's letter of limitations.

You make any engine change you want, they look it over, tell you go fly 40 hrs under these restrictions and it's done.

Honestly if I was wanting a custom aircraft, I'd be going the experimental route. As long as you stay within the limitations, then you can do whatever you want, plus it's cheaper and a lot less hassle to customize an experimental.

You make any engine change you want, they look it over, tell you go fly 40 hrs under these restrictions and it's done.

You make it sound like you are not requesting a new airworthy certificate.

and yes that is exactly what you must do. new letter of limitation, new AWC, new W&B and new certification inspection by a DAR or fed inspector.

Honestly if I was wanting a custom aircraft, I'd be going the experimental route. As long as you stay within the limitations, then you can do whatever you want, plus it's cheaper and a lot less hassle to customize an experimental.

It is easier, but there are still rules.

What rule limits how much I can "customize" a design as I build?

You can design and build any thing you like, but after it is certified and has a letter of limitations, and a airworthy certificate, changing it is a different thing.

Would love to see what David Lopresti's comments on this subject would be. Wonder how difficult it is for him to get one of his cowling designs/upgrades approved? Way may soon see new/modern cowlings for older Cessna 150/172 and 182, almost like the one Lopresti did for the 177. Thanks!:)

Wouldn't it be nice if that's all we had to do with the o'l spam cans?

Would love to see what David Lopresti's comments on this subject would be. Wonder how difficult it is for him to get one of his cowling designs/upgrades approved? Way may soon see new/modern cowlings for older Cessna 150/172 and 182, almost like the one Lopresti did for the 177. Thanks!:)

I can't imagine those are that difficult.

Innovative Wings at Springbank airport near Calgary, Alberta does some great turbine conversion work. They have done a Lancair 4 and a Glasair conversions to turbines...stunning performance and practical for commuting and reliability. We are talking 200-300 knots, Alberta to Florida as a one day trip, and Calgary to Vancouver in 1.1 hours (just 15 mins more than gate to gate commercial airliner and no security screening and boarding line ups.) They have also built a air comp 7 at their builders assist centre. I find whole turbine thing for home built and experimental thing pretty darn cool!

Back