Aircraft Modifications/Customization

LJS1993

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LJ Savala
Hey gentlemen how have you guys modified your own personal aircraft? Is customization and/or modification common? Have any of you guys truly modded out your planes in regards to appearance, avionics, engine, etc?

Hey gentlemen how have you guys modified your own personal aircraft?

Yes

Is customization and/or modification common?

Yes

Have any of you guys truly modded out your planes in regards to appearance, avionics, engine, etc?

Yes

Are questions 1 and 3 the same except for "truly"?

Hey gentlemen how have you guys modified your own personal aircraft? Is customization and/or modification common? Have any of you guys truly modded out your planes in regards to appearance, avionics, engine, etc?
Appearance? Just a bit on my plane, but engine and avionics? Big time. Also replaced my fixed shoulder harnesses with inertia reel type, installed some better interior lighting, etc. And yes, it's quite common. Not so much the obvious physical modifications like they do to cars (chopping the top and the like), but engine and avionics upgrades, drag reduction kits, paint and interior are all commonly done.

Avionics and appearance (paint/interior) mods are quite common as they can be signed off by an authorized mechanic. Engine and perhaps etc. (airframe?) mods are limited as any change to a certificated airplane requires FAA approval such as an STC. There are plenty of STC'd mods out there but they are, IMHO, limited in applicability and scope.

just replaced the aileron gap seals with new fabric ones instead of the old foam ones. going to do mylar gap seals at least on the top surface. working on aileron control horn fairings. need to seal up the fuselage and might install a cockpit air extractor for ventilation. ironed down the bubbles on the leading edge. will probably do oil flow tests later this spring and see if turbulator tape increases the performance.

Are you thinking along these lines?

stress-free-soul-plane.jpg

Thanks guys for the serious responses. Of course I don't expect to see chopped Cessna's or perhaps a Grumman Tiger with curb feelers. However I'm just curious as to how you guys have worked on your aircraft and made it feel like your own. I am especially curious if anyone has an older aircraft which they have done some major upgrades with avionics or just a nice restoration. But hey, if anyone out there has gold teeth and has installed a wet bar and curb feelers them more power to you. ;)

I fixed up my Warrior a little bit.

I chopped the top so the windows are six inches high, saves a lot when windows need replacing. I lowered it all the way around and added controllable shocks so I would look cool on the taxiway and ramp. Then I had the wings swept back and added two more vertical stabilizers so I kinda has the look of a powerful jet fighter.

I painted the whole thing black with bright orange and yellow flames coming from the cowling all the way back to the tail. The propeller is painted bright red and black. I did it in such a way that as it spins, looking from the front, it looks like an attacking dog.

It handles a little differently now, but I make up for it with all the astonished looks I get, obviously jealous people, is all I can think.

The interior is all black and red tuck n role leather.

Other than those few minor alterations, it's pretty much stock.

-John

Added a transponder.

One of these days I need to make a new cowl - the current one is too draggy.

Re-wired it to be the way it should be.

Mostly little stuff.

A re-cover / re-paint wouldn't hurt the appearance, but I mostly try to avoid spending money.

Oh, I did install a shiny new custom exhaust - does that count?
https://picasaweb.google.com/113074946255891896082/N222gn#5609724772362106786

I fixed up my Warrior a little bit.

I chopped the top so the windows are six inches high, saves a lot when windows need replacing. I lowered it all the way around and added controllable shocks so I would look cool on the taxiway and ramp. Then I had the wings swept back and added two more vertical stabilizers so I kinda has the look of a powerful jet fighter.

I painted the whole thing black with bright orange and yellow flames coming from the cowling all the way back to the tail. The propeller is painted bright red and black. I did it in such a way that as it spins, looking from the front, it looks like an attacking dog.

It handles a little differently now, but I make up for it with all the astonished looks I get, obviously jealous people, is all I can think.

The interior is all black and red tuck n role leather.

Other than those few minor alterations, it's pretty much stock.

-John

LOL :D

Thanks guys for the serious responses. Of course I don't expect to see chopped Cessna's or perhaps a Grumman Tiger with curb feelers. However I'm just curious as to how you guys have worked on your aircraft and made it feel like your own. I am especially curious if anyone has an older aircraft which they have done some major upgrades with avionics or just a nice restoration. But hey, if anyone out there has gold teeth and has installed a wet bar and curb feelers them more power to you. ;)

At the Sebring LSA Expo, one of the avionics shops had their personal Cherokee 140. Very nicely restored with sweet avionics. You would also like the AOPA sweeps Cessna 182.

See http://www.aopa.org/sweeps/2011/

For 2011, AOPA has announced a departure from its last two sweepstakes. Next year’s sweepstakes will be a refurbishment project that transforms a plain-Jane 1970s-era Cessna 182 into a fire-breathing, STOL-equipped, thoroughly modernized airplane—complete with Garmin G500 avionics, top-of-the-line traffic- and weather-avoidance technology, and L-3’s Trilogy electronic standby instrumentation.

The past two sweepstakes projects involved recent-model or new airplanes, but this project takes the sweeps back to its roots. The “Crossover Classic” concept refers to this airplane’s unique equipment package. As usual, AOPA is going over the top on this restoration by swapping out the airplane’s stock 230-hp Continental engine and replacing it with Continental’s IO-550 of 300-hp. Mate that with Sierra Industries’ Robertson STOL kit, and a full brace of Garmin avionics, and much, much more, and you’ve got an airplane that will be as comfortable mixing it up with the big boys in busy terminal airspace as it is operating out of unimproved strips in the back country.

The first stop on the Crossover Classic’s renovation odyssey takes it to conversion experts Air Plains Services in Wellington, Kan. There, the new engine will be installed, along with a new Hartzell three-blade propeller and Flint Aero’s tip tanks. Then the airplane will go on display at this year’s AOPA Aviation Summit, held in Long Beach, Calif., from Nov. 11 through 13.

However I'm just curious as to how you guys have worked on your aircraft and made it feel like your own. I am especially curious if anyone has an older aircraft which they have done some major upgrades with avionics
That would be me.

or just a nice restoration.
It's a work in progress.:D

Depends on what you want to do. If it's a major repair/ alteration it will require an FAA form 337 for each major alteration done. But yeah, as long as you follow STC guidelines you should be fine.

Much more in the purview of the Experimental sector. It is very difficult and expensive to get approval for making modifications to certified airplanes.

Much more in the purview of the Experimental sector. It is very difficult and expensive to get approval for making modifications to certified airplanes.
Humbug. I've got a stack of STC's and field approvals about an inch thick on my plane. Not that hard.

Check it out,

http://www.whidbey.com/fairchild-nc19143/

It's old, it has a few major upgrades and several major modifications.

Total 337s = 47
Total STCs = 7

BS, you must not know how to do the paper correctly.

I can complete a STC installation on my own signature. 10 minutes.
I can get an approval of a major repair in 3 days with a DRE involved, and a week if FSDO is doing the approval.

Depends on what you want to do. If it's a major repair/ alteration it will require an FAA form 337 for each major alteration done. But yeah, as long as you follow STC guidelines you should be fine.

What seperates an alteration requiring FAA approval from just owner upgrades?

I'm really curious about Avionics upgrades / changes... Wouldn't think the FAA would let you do much without A/P doing the work or an STC - would they..?

I've put a large continental engine in, repainted the thing (mostly the same color with different striping), twice changed the interior, redid the panel, ...

I can get an approval of a major repair in 3 days with a DRE involved, and a week if FSDO is doing the approval.

Can you make a change to a certificated aircraft on a 337? Or is that just for repairs?

At the Sebring LSA Expo, one of the avionics shops had their personal Cherokee 140. Very nicely restored with sweet avionics. You would also like the AOPA sweeps Cessna 182.

See http://www.aopa.org/sweeps/2011/

For 2011, AOPA has announced a departure from its last two sweepstakes. Next year’s sweepstakes will be a refurbishment project that transforms a plain-Jane 1970s-era Cessna 182 into a fire-breathing, STOL-equipped, thoroughly modernized airplane—complete with Garmin G500 avionics, top-of-the-line traffic- and weather-avoidance technology, and L-3’s Trilogy electronic standby instrumentation.

The past two sweepstakes projects involved recent-model or new airplanes, but this project takes the sweeps back to its roots. The “Crossover Classic” concept refers to this airplane’s unique equipment package. As usual, AOPA is going over the top on this restoration by swapping out the airplane’s stock 230-hp Continental engine and replacing it with Continental’s IO-550 of 300-hp. Mate that with Sierra Industries’ Robertson STOL kit, and a full brace of Garmin avionics, and much, much more, and you’ve got an airplane that will be as comfortable mixing it up with the big boys in busy terminal airspace as it is operating out of unimproved strips in the back country.

The first stop on the Crossover Classic’s renovation odyssey takes it to conversion experts Air Plains Services in Wellington, Kan. There, the new engine will be installed, along with a new Hartzell three-blade propeller and Flint Aero’s tip tanks. Then the airplane will go on display at this year’s AOPA Aviation Summit, held in Long Beach, Calif., from Nov. 11 through 13.

Yes that's exactly what I was thinking about. Taking something basic and totally upgrading.

Humbug. I've got a stack of STC's and field approvals about an inch thick on my plane. Not that hard.

You didn't do the hard part, the STC holder did, you bought it from him for good money I bet. Try doing a real custom mod yourself rather than buying an STC and tell me how simple it is.

Yet you can't replace a bulkhead section in a 170, if modifications were so easy why is that? The STC holder goes through a hell of a lot of crap. Installing STC stuff is expensive for the most part.

Let me know what it'll cost to change to IO-550s exclusive of the engine costs, tell me how cheap it is. Now how about a set of V10 TDi Audis? You think it'll take 10 minutes to get that approved to fly?

Last edited:
What seperates an alteration requiring FAA approval from just owner upgrades?
Every single alteration to a production certified aircraft requires FAA approval in one form or another. However, there are a lot of different sources for that approval, ranging from the accepted practices described in AC 43.13-1B for minor alterations, to Supplemental Type Certificates to individual field approvals for major ones. They all involve the signature of an FAA-licensed mechanic (and sometimes much more), so owners generally cannot just change things on their airplanes all by themselves, but in many cases the approval for an alteration is just the mechanic confirming that the alteration follows FAA-approved standards. Take a good read through Part 43 of the FAR's, which is in your FAR/AIM book, for more.

I'm really curious about Avionics upgrades / changes... Wouldn't think the FAA would let you do much without A/P doing the work or an STC - would they..?
Generally speaking, the owner is permitted to do the work (assuming s/he knows how), but will need the supervision of an A&P while performng that work, and the signature of that A&P (or perhaps an IA, depending on just what is being done) approving the work done by the owner. Again, read Part 43 for the legal details.

Can you make a change to a certificated aircraft on a 337? Or is that just for repairs?
Any major alteration or major repair must be documented on a 337 (whose full title is "MAJOR REPAIR & ALTERATION (AIRFRAME, POWERPLANT, PROPELLER, OR APPLIANCE") as well as the aircraft's maintenance records. Minor alterations and repairs need only be documented in the aircraft's maintenance records.

You didn't do the hard part, the STC holder did, you bought it from him for good money I bet. Try doing a real custom mod yourself rather than buying an STC and tell me how simple it is.
Actually, I did all the paperwork on two field approvals -- my IA only advised and signed. Do your homework, get pre-approval from the FSDO, and it's a piece of cake for something simple.

Sure, if you want to get approval to do something really big, like hang a totally different engine for which there is no STC on the plane, you're going to need a DER's help if you want to get it right the first time. But there are a ton of alterations you can get done with little fuss or ado if you read the book and follow the book.

about 3 days with a DER

It is called getting a pre-approval of the 337, or a field approval.

my F-24 was modified from a unsupportable generator to an Jasco Alternator, on a pre approved 337.

Yet you can't replace a bulkhead section in a 170, if modifications were so easy why is that?

Wrong again, I have, more than once.

but only when some body poked it full of holes.

It isn't a matter of can or can't, it is a matter of cost for the customer.

It is a case of saving the aircraft by the best possible means.

It is called getting a pre-approval of the 337, or a field approval.

my F-24 was modified from a unsupportable generator to an Jasco Alternator, on a pre approved 337.

Got it. Fellow camped next to me at Sun n Fun had installed a scooter battery in his 210 with field approval.

I have a Warrior and I want to install the autopilot that I want, and an EFIS that I want without the supervision or blessing of the pope and all the added expense of the sticker labeled 'certified'. Can I do it? No. There are no STCs for it. Could I do it if my warrior was experimental (owner-maintenance if such distinction existed in the US)? Yes. That's the difference and we all know it folks. To answer the OP's question in the affirmative then add the caveat "....but you need the right blessing from the right middle men and the right tax levied.." is to essentially answer the OP in the negative.

To the OP, the flexibility and cost effective avenues of modification you seek is found exclusively in the experimental world. STCs and 337 related to certified aircraft are very narrowly focused and specific in nature and require the oversight and expense of middlemen to approve your choices. Do not be misled, these differences are not inconsequential, they are outright game changers.

Speaking of which.. Any word on owner-maint experimental ever becoming a reality? Or should I just let the dream go and just keep saving for the lancair :D

I have a Warrior and I want to install the autopilot that I want, and an EFIS that I want without the supervision or blessing of the pope and all the added expense of the sticker labeled 'certified'. Can I do it? No. There are no STCs for it. Could I do it if my warrior was experimental (owner-maintenance if such distinction existed in the US)? Yes. That's the difference and we all know it folks. To answer the OP's question in the affirmative then add the caveat "....but you need the right blessing from the right middle men and the right tax levied.." is to essentially answer the OP in the negative.

To the OP, the flexibility and cost effective avenues of modification you seek is found exclusively in the experimental world. STCs and 337 related to certified aircraft are very narrowly focused and specific in nature and require the oversight and expense of middlemen to approve your choices. Do not be misled, these differences are not inconsequential, they are outright game changers.

Speaking of which.. Any word on owner-maint experimental ever becoming a reality? Or should I just let the dream go and just keep saving for the lancair :D

Exactly, there is no way for me to install the autopilot I want or the engines I want currently without going to Experimental R&D and there a hell of a lot of hoops involved. The only way to do an 'easy field approval' is if there is already existing data to support your mod, otherwise you have to provide that data and that is never free from cost.

As for the last, I'm hoping...

The majority of used airplanes out there are customized in some way, shape, or form. By used I'm talking airplanes that are 20+ years old, which makes up the fleet that most of us fly. If you take a look the 310 Henning flies vs. the 310 I fly, you'll notice the two are very different as far as paint, interior, panel, even engines and propellers are different. That has to do with upgrades done along the way. I fly two different Navajos, both are very different as far as paint, interior, and panel - same thing.

Certification does provide limits for how these modifications need to be gone about, and in some cases there are significant practical barriers in terms of how much work is required to get a particular modification approved. Experimental makes this significantly easier, but then you have to want one of the experimental aircraft out there.

All I will say is that it wasn't dubbed the "Frankenkota" for nothing...

(nope, no modifications here, nothing to see, move along)

I do like the thought of curb feelers though. Maybe chrome vortex generators and gap seals would be stylin' too...

Exactly, there is no way for me to install the autopilot I want or the engines I want currently without going to Experimental R&D and there a hell of a lot of hoops involved. The only way to do an 'easy field approval' is if there is already existing data to support your mod, otherwise you have to provide that data and that is never free from cost.

As for the last, I'm hoping...

Wrong

Back