Airbus A320 Down

Seems easy to find how to open the door as crew guides are on the internet... but I guess someone with knowledge could kill that system.

It requires a conscious person and a deliberate action of someone inside the flight deck to lock someone out and prevent entry to the flight deck.

IIR the FDR tracks correctly it was only the #2 that failed, and only briefly. The other two maintained signal, but it's been a while since I went through all that.

So the final report (as quoted above) is wrong in using the plural?

So the final report (as quoted above) is wrong in using the plural?

Remember, it is a translation from the French report. I believe the plural to be an error from the best of my recollection. I went through all the data presented and was astounded that a single, brief, pitot failure could possibly lead to the loss of a modern airliner.

Last edited:
Please tell me this security device intended to protect people from the 1 in a billion chance of a terrorist attack didn't cause the deaths of all those people.

:no:

Remember, it is a translation from the French report. I believe the plural to be an error from the best of my recollection. I went through all the data presented and was astounded that a single, brief, pitot failure could possibly lead to the loss of a modern airliner.

Well here is the original (bold added):
Il y a eu incohérence entre les vitesses mesurées, vraisemblablement à la suite de l’obstruction des sondes Pitot par des cristaux de glace.

Are you saying even the original final report is wrong?

I believe the plural to be an error from the best of my recollection.
From the final:
"The disabling of this warning was probably due to the fact that, between 13.4 and 15.5 and then between 17 and 19, and possibly at other times, the three Mach values were abnormally low (three Pitot probes iced up)."

Just so we're clear, you believe the statement above to be a translation error? In that case do you also consider the analysis based on failure of the three pitot probes to be a 'translation error'? Note that this is but one of several instances of failure mode analysis based on a triple fault in the final.

Nauga,
and even the most casual observer

Please tell me this security device intended to protect people from the 1 in a billion chance of a terrorist attack didn't cause the deaths of all those people.

:no:

Ok, but yeah, the irony struck me as well.

Maybe the plane had wifi and the pilot locked out emailed home office of his situation... ...
Can this get any more bizarre :dunno::dunno::confused:

If they plane had WiFi enabled, I would think several hundred people would have sent messages (or at least dozens).

From the final:
"The disabling of this warning was probably due to the fact that, between 13.4 and 15.5 and then between 17 and 19, and possibly at other times, the three Mach values were abnormally low (three Pitot probes iced up)."

Just so we're clear, you believe the statement above to be a translation error? In that case do you also consider the analysis based on failure of the three pitot probes to be a 'translation error'? Note that this is but one of several instances of failure mode analysis based on a triple fault in the final.

Nauga,
and even the most casual observer

Ok, fine, I retract, however it's immaterial to this thread. A failed system sent it into a law that offered the ability to exceed protections. I'm wondering why that wouldn't happen by popping a select breaker or two?:dunno: The Airbus is is highly complex, but it's not HAL either.

If they plane had WiFi enabled, I would think several hundred people would have sent messages (or at least dozens).

Or taken videos on their cellphone of the captain trying frantically to get back into the cockpit, in which case their memory chips might still yield a clue.

Ok, fine, I retract, however it's immaterial to this thread. A failed system sent it into a law that offered the ability to exceed protections. I'm wondering why that wouldn't happen by popping a select breaker or two?:dunno: The Airbus is is highly complex, but it's not HAL either.

If you retract, your thread count should go back up.

Ok, fine, I retract, however it's immaterial to this thread.
It's very material to the point I'm making. Thanks for the help.

Nauga,
and the first rule of holes

Kinda makes you wonder just if, and how the " guvmint" can store /delete/ alter electronic communications to fit their story......
:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

But not the cellphones shooting videos of the captain banging on the door...

I would expect cell signal to be less-than-wonderful at altitude over the Alps. But the memory cards might yield useful data.

Rich

AS hard as that plane hit that mountain.. I would expect most cell phones to be in a million pieces...:dunno::redface:

Sure, but memory chips are tiny. They just need to find them.

AS hard as that plane hit that mountain.. I would expect most cell phones to be in a million pieces...:dunno::redface:

Many phones have a very light weight micro SD mem card. If they can find one, it might be intact enough to reconstruct. They are very low mass, but I do understand about the amount of energy they had to survive. I guess - it's possible.

As steep and rocky as that terrain looks, one good rain and all those little plastic pieces are washing downstream.

As steep and rocky as that terrain looks, one good rain and all those little plastic pieces are washing downstream.

Well, if they can establish it's the captain banging on the door in the audio, adding video to it would add little probative value.

Do we know if it was the captain or the FO doing the banging?

Will be interesting to hear the news tomorrow. So far, only the NYT is claiming this is what was on the CVR. Once the European news outlets crank up in a few hours over there, I wonder how they react.

Will be interesting to hear the news tomorrow. So far, only the NYT is claiming this is what was on the CVR. Once the European news outlets crank up in a few hours over there, I wonder how they react.

Lufthansa saying they are "aware" of NYT story but have no comment.

who was doing the banging?

Can we get "phrasing" back into the rotation?

(people who don't watch Archer pls disregard my silliness)

If this turns out to be some kind of "jihad" move by the FO, well, Europe will become a bit more of an uncomfortable place for Muslims to be living...

The NYT report doesn't say which one was locked out.

It probably doesn't matter to us, but it might matter to investigators if they need to find out whether one of the pilots has something in their history that would give a clue.

It probably doesn't matter to us, but it might matter to investigators if they need to find out whether one of the pilots has something in their history that would give a clue.
I matters to all of us imo.

If this turns out to be some kind of "jihad" move by the FO, well, Europe will become a bit more of an uncomfortable place for Muslims to be living...

It would make it more of an uncomfortable place for everyone else.

What difference will it make? If it was a terrorist, well, like the FBI on 9/11, day late and dollar short. It's not like they will learn anything useful.

Back