Air Wagner.....he’s the GOAT

Yup, the one year I flew the Fisk arrival, it was 1200 over, and watched 3 different twins just descend out of the clouds. Effin scary!

I've flown the 90-knot, 1000 AGL/1800 MSL Fisk arrival and had a Cirrus go past me *maybe* 50 feet higher at 135+ knots on an overcast day.

I've also driven to Oshkosh on an overcast day and seen plenty more hijinks.

I don't fly the Fisk arrival to Oshkosh when it's less than 2000 overcast any more.

"Just wanted to drop you a note from my burner email account
I like you passion for flying but based on my knowledge of the FAA and those in the FSDO offices they would not look favorably on you admitting to not being a CFI but offering what appears to be instruction on your videos

Sounds like we know who reported you the first time now. ;)

I can turn that positive into a negative. I'd love to see JW handle an engine-out. I actually hope his proficiency with OEI is better than some of the other chops I've seen filmed.

I secretly think he's just trolling other pilots on purpose and he's really a proto-Bob Hoover, just with a mean streak and using his gifts for evil instead of good. He needs a cape!

He regularly trains engine out. Having actually flown with him, I can say I never felt unsafe. He definitely knows the equipment he is flying.

He was kind enough to email me this once (from his "burner email account"). This is 100% legit by the way I am not making this up.

"Just wanted to drop you a note from my burner email account
I like you passion for flying but based on my knowledge of the FAA and those in the FSDO offices they would not look favorably on you admitting to not being a CFI but offering what appears to be instruction on your videos
carry on

Jerry"

That was pretty nice of him to look out for my well being.

Lol, hmmm, Jerry does seem to be a little out of touch, lacking the ability for introspection. As in he spends hours teaching how to operate his airplane and he is serious about it.

He regularly trains engine out. Having actually flown with him, I can say I never felt unsafe. He definitely knows the equipment he is flying.

Yeah, because breaking out at 3000fpm off the FAC in a 45 degree plus bank heading AWAY from the FAC, cancelling IFR while IMC because it's convenient, along with all the other shenanigans is safe. If you say this is safe or is "knowing your equipment" I'm sure we have MUCH MUCH different definitions of safe and what knowing your equipment means.

Waaaaiiit a minute... I bet there is a new JW video up, right? Why else would this thread get dug up from three months ago. Something is up, here...

Waaaaiiit a minute... I bet there is a new JW video up, right? Why else would this thread get dug up from three months ago. Something is up, here...
You’d be correct. Posted last night.

Any more lessons in the new video that might get me more proficient flying JFR? Unfortunately, I have been stabilized on approach far to often recently. Nice, 500 fpm descent rate at around 90 knots. VSI not pegged nor CDI at full deflection. Hopefully this video will provide some tips on how to maintain my currency. Maybe a nice descent through IMC after cancelling IFR to secondary minimums?

Any more lessons in the new video that might get me more proficient flying JFR? Unfortunately, I have been stabilized on approach far to often recently. Nice, 500 fpm descent rate at around 90 knots. VSI not pegged nor CDI at full deflection. Hopefully this video will provide some tips on how to maintain my currency. Maybe a nice descent through IMC after cancelling IFR to secondary minimums?
You’re doing it all wrong.

Isn't life so much better in those moments? Especially when you understand you are stabilized.

Isn't life so much better in those moments? Especially when you understand you are stabilized.

But it's not very safe. The safest way to fly an instrument approach is to have everything pegged and drop out of the clouds in the yellow arc.

I’ll say it again. He’s taken down his truly bad vids years ago. The ones where he flat out violates the regs. The stuff he puts out now is tame compared to those...well still has few new ones that show how close he is to the feathered edge.

On a positive. He sure flys a lot. I wish I had the money and time off to fly that much. Shows he at least retains a passion for flying. That being said, I know a local guy who has a passion for flying and flipped over a C150 on take off for no logical reason. Passion only takes you so far.

is that kind of like singing? if you are going to sing the wrong note or tempo or whatever, at the very least do it with authority and confidence...
Jeff Beck said that, when he plays the wrong note, he always tries to play it again so it seems intentional.

Jeff Beck said that, when he plays the wrong note, he always tries to play it again so it seems intentional.
And call it jazz. That’s what I was taught. But not so much for flying.

No. It's a VFR flight. No good IFR lessons.

No. It's a VFR flight. No good IFR lessons.
There could be some VFR lessons, though. For example, as they're going through the before takeoff checklist (on an iPad since they couldn't find the printed checklist, which indicates they didn't bother with a checklist for the preflight, before engine start, engine start, or before taxi processes), a plane calls 3-mile base. I can't tell if it's the same plane calling the final leg or not because they talk over the radio while getting the panel set up to show traffic on the PFD. The other plane then said that he was doing a 360-degree turn on 1-mile final just as the 414 rolled out onto the runway. There's a lesson in there somewhere, but I don't know if it belongs here or in the thread about whether it should be mandatory to have a radio at non-towered airports.

Positive… thinking positive.
-pretty well appointed plane both inside snd out.
-good video editor nicely done.
-VMC stick and rudder skills :eek:nce he has ground in site he can fly it to the ground. If it wasn’t for this he’d auger in long time ago due to sloppy approaches.
-can take overwhelming criticism. Not many of us could take the level of abuse tossed his way.

…..
-can take overwhelming criticism. Not many of us could take the level of abuse tossed his way.

VERY few people could take that kind of criticism and not ‘get the hint’ and make some changes. I’m happy to say no one I know because I’m not sure I could be friends with that type of person.

Back