Air to ground frequency.

Discussion in 'Change to my Frequency...' started by David Groat, Nov 16, 2017.

1. David Groat

David Groat Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Groatski
    I took my Vans RV-10 up on its first flight this past Saturday. I was talking to ATC on their frequency and to my father on the ground with a handheld tuned to 123.45 ('fingers'). Mostly I was keeping my father informed as to what I was doing and how the plane was behaving, but 10 minutes in someone broke in with a curt 'Get off this frequency!'

It's my understanding that the frequency range 123.325 to 123.475 is reserved for civilian flight testing, so I'm not sure who I was intruding on or if that person had any business telling me what he did.

What's the proper frequency I should be using to communicate with my ground crew while flight testing?

2. bflynn

bflynn En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    123.45 is reserved for flight test stations. If you were reporting flight testing results, use was probably appropriate.

122.9 is designated as a multicom and 122.8 is unicom for airports that don't otherwise have one - either one should be acceptable. I suspect if you assigned your father as "bityfield unicom", nobody would have any grief with it as long as your weren't monopolizing the frequency.

Reference AC 90-50D

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC90-50D.pdf

3. bobmrg

bobmrg En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bob Gardner
    AIM 4-1-11 is your reference. 123.45 is NEVER appropriate for any GA purpose unless the ground station (not a handheld) has that frequency on its station license. "I was just testing my RV" won't hack it with the FCC.

Bob

4. retpd2001

retpd2001 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    retpd2001
    By the way, congrats on your first flight!

5. Lowflynjack

Lowflynjack Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jack Fleetwood
    I would have just used air-to-air frequency 122.75. 122.750 Use: Aircraft Air-to-Air
    I use 122.85 for air-to-air photography because nobody is on that frequency and we don't need interruptions when giving critical directions. 122.850 Use: Multicom - Special Use and Aviation Support on Noninterference Basis.
    123.45 has been the unofficial air-to-air frequency as long as I can remember. A lot of ultralights used to use it. I understand it's not correct, but still very common.

I understand what you're saying, but realistically, what is the FCC going to do? Are they going to track down the user? How would they do it? It's like people making calls from their planes on their Bose headsets... not legal, but try to catch them.

6. mkosmo

mkosmo Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    mkosmo
    ...and I just caught you ;-)

jk

Lowflynjack likes this.
  7. wilkersk

wilkersk Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    KennyW
    47 CFR 87.303(a):
    These frequencies are available for assignment to flight test land and aircraft stations:
    123.450mhz (3)
    (3) Mobile station operations on these frequencies are limited to an area within 320 km (200 mi) of an associated flight test land station.

47 CFR 87.187(j):
    The frequency 122.750 MHz is authoried for use by private fixed wing aircraft for air-air communications.

That being said, my guess is someone who knows that 123.45 is not an appropriate frequency for your use was just giving you a hard time for their own entertainment.

8. Shawn

Shawn En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    You want to be on 122.75...yes, technically air to "air" but that is the designated GA jabber frequency.

9. Shawn

Shawn En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    Either one are absolutely NOT acceptable. In my neck of the woods we have zillion of fields that all share 112.7, 122.8 and 122.9 respectively and CTAF is never a frequency you wanna be jabbering on. My home filed is 122.8 and at a decent altituse I can hear calls for MANY different airport.

timwinters likes this.
  10. bflynn

bflynn En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    "As long as you're not monopolizing the frequency". 122.9 is the designated multicomm for you and everyone's brother. I agree they are zoos...but they are the legal sources.

11. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Negative. 122.8 is an frequency that can be ASSIGNED for UNICOM. It's not some garbage frequency for you to willy nilly usurp for random purposes.

122.9 (MULTICOM) nis only to be used for air to ground at airports without UNICOMs or other radio outlet.

The answer is there is no legal IDLE-CHIT-CHAT provision for unlicensed ground stations and aircraft.

KA550 and Larry in TN like this.
  12. bflynn

bflynn En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    That's good because the OP wasn't engaged in chit-chat. He was reporting results of flight testing. That seems an appropriate use of a unicom channel.

13. flyingron

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    UNICOM at an airport it was assigned for is OK for such. MULTICOM at some other airport. Out in a random place, again, there's NO FREQUENCY assigned for random unlicensed stations on the ground to communicate with aircraft.

Larry in TN likes this.
  14. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    Shucks, just do what everyone else does... talk on guard.

Zeldman likes this.
  15. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    What goes here?
    Well, it was a test flight so might as well be prepared and on the right frequency. ;)

16. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    You're on guarddddddddddddddd!

17. nauga

nauga Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mantis Toboggan, MD
    It's only appropriate if you are a flight test station recognized by the FCC (ETA: ...and if you have to ask, you are not ;)) .
    See 47 CFR part 87 J, "Flight Test Stations":
    https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrie...c=true&n=pt47.5.87&r=PART&ty=HTML#sp47.5.87.j

Nauga,
    the discriminating user

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    KA550 likes this.
  18. bflynn

bflynn En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    You seem to feel very strongly about that - you should go find everyone that is infringing on that.

19. flyingron

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Just because "everybody" does it doesn't make it legal or even consistent with safety. I am just pointing out that the supposed "correct" answers people keep offering are in fact, illegal.

Larry in TN likes this.