After your PPL and IFR is it possible to take lessons in a Turboprop?

Yep, that is pretty much my situation. I got quotes from rental places and it's a lot more reasonable than expected. Again, I don't want a career in Aviation I just want to fly for fun. In order to fly a PC-12 do you need to get a complex and high performance endorsement to be legal?
You don't need anything to fly it. You need to be rated for ASEL and have complex, high performance, and high altitude endorsements as well as a current medical and currency such as recent experience and flight review to act as PIC. But it doesn't sound like you have any need to be PIC and thus you don't need any of those things, including a medical or a pilot's license at all.

Yep, that is pretty much my situation. I got quotes from rental places and it's a lot more reasonable than expected. Again, I don't want a career in Aviation I just want to fly for fun. In order to fly a PC-12 do you need to get a complex and high performance endorsement to be legal?

Don't forget a high altitude endorsement.

Here you go dude, go get your SES in a Beaver after your PPL. "Only" $4k (that actually doesn't seem so bad?) I love the PC12 as much as anyone, but hands on low on floats on a Beaver can't be beat...then come back here and tell those telling you to get your PPL/IFR/ME/CFII/ATP first blah blah blah before anything else to go pound a pint of Jet-A. Keeping the dreaming, bud. Nothing wrong with that. If you never ask around, no one will give you a ride. All it takes is one person with a PC12 to see this and be in your area and most guys in aviation would LOVE to show off their ride.

http://www.ryanseaplanes.com/access.htm

You are alright in my book but I don't think about doing that kind of stuff to a beaver.....you live in the woods?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm in such a drought right now I'd rock a sea turtle's world. Maybe a jellyfish. That sounds enticing. No, that would sting. Or how about a sea anemone. Those things are about as close to a jay jay as you can get.

I'm in such a drought right now I'd rock a sea turtle's world. Maybe a jellyfish. That sounds enticing. No, that would sting. Or how about a sea anemone. Those things are about as close to a jay jay as you can get.

Are you speaking from experience?

How effective are the sims, compared to the real thing?

Well, since airline pilots train in the sims to fly airliners, they must be pretty effective.

All,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first time an airline pilot flies a real plane is with passengers on it, correct? Or are there rides on empty planes?

Well, since airline pilots train in the sims to fly airliners, they must be pretty effective.

All,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first time an airline pilot flies a real plane is with passengers on it, correct? Or are there rides on empty planes?
Correct

All,

Correct, in the actual plane, but you have an instructor in the right seat for a certain number of hours/landings. I think I had to have 10 hours when I checked out in the CRJ 700/900. A couple legs gets that done and then you're released to torture, I mean fly passengers.

True for most jets, most situations. My first jet, I flew as SIC with only internal company training (in the jet itself) and then later got my PIC type at CAE. For all three out of four of my other types the first time I flew the real thing was after I had the PIC type in hand -- nothing but sim experience. Never flew the sim for one of my types (525S) - did the training and type ride in the real plane, and kept current that way too.

After I completed G450 initial I got to go fly the plane around for an hour or so just as a training flight. That was kinda cool... not really necessary, but cool.

All,
Almost all jet type ratings are done in a sim. I had flown about 20 hours in my Citation before I got typed in it, we did about 75% of the check ride in the sim and had to do a couple actual landings in the airplane before I was signed off. If the sim had been a newer version we could have done it all in the sim.

True for most jets, most situations. My first jet, I flew as SIC with only internal company training (in the jet itself) and then later got my PIC type at CAE. For all three out of four of my other types the first time I flew the real thing was after I had the PIC type in hand -- nothing but sim experience. Never flew the sim for one of my types (525S) - did the training and type ride in the real plane, and kept current that way too.

After I completed G450 initial I got to go fly the plane around for an hour or so just as a training flight. That was kinda cool... not really necessary, but cool.
Never had an interest to fly in a G4 what was it like.

Can you compare the power of flying a turbine compared to a Turboprop? Is the power more immediate in a turboprop?

Can you compare the power of flying a turbine compared to a Turboprop? Is the power more immediate in a turboprop?

Turboprop basically has immediate throttle response as opposed to a jet which require more time to let the engines spool up and down.

That wasn't the question though. If Travolta wanted a 747 he'd be able to afford and fly it. Same with Cruise.

I've seen Travolta talking about the 747, filmed in an interview while he is sitting in the jumpseat of one on the ground. The video is a Discovery channel documentary about the building of the 747.

Travolta said that Qantas offered him a 747 for free, but he declined. He said something along the lines of "I've been lucky to make a lot of money, but I certainly don't
have enough to own and fly a 747".

Knew a few who fly the jet manually from take off to landing, even if it were a 2-3 hour flight.
I find it hard to believe that a 121 Operator's FOM allowed hand-flying an aircraft in RVSM airspace (I'm assuming this was after 2005, and you guys were flying above FL290). I know the FAA says that the autopilot should be engaged in RVSM airspace, but I think most 121 Operators would take the conservative route and make it mandatory. Ours does, and a few of my buddies I've asked has it in theirs, too.

I find it hard to believe that a 121 Operator's FOM allowed hand-flying an aircraft in RVSM airspace (I'm assuming this was after 2005, and you guys were flying above FL290). I know the FAA says that the autopilot should be engaged in RVSM airspace, but I think most 121 Operators would take the conservative route and make it mandatory. Ours does, and a few of my buddies I've asked has it in theirs, too.

Good comment. I'm not sure if he did it in RVSM airspace, but wouldn't be surprised if he did. I can't remember if it was in our FOM or not, been retired awhile. He had some time off on a few occasions. Think his hand flying in the sim when the IPs wanted him demonstrating AP use ticked them off, so he was taken off line. Yeah, he was a strange bird, but don't all airlines have a few?

Good comment. I'm not sure if he did it in RVSM airspace, but wouldn't be surprised if he did. I can't remember if it was in our FOM or not, been retired awhile. He had some time off on a few occasions. Think his hand flying in the sim when the IPs wanted him demonstrating AP use ticked them off, so he was taken off line. Yeah, he was a strange bird, but don't all airlines have a few?
Funny. It seems like there's always that 5% that make you shake your head. It's such an easy job, I don't understand why some guys are so hell-bent on making it difficult.

Funny. It seems like there's always that 5% that make you shake your head. It's such an easy job, I don't understand why some guys are so hell-bent on making it difficult.

Not just at the airlines either, pretty much every job. Always someone that screws it up for the rest.

When the captain says I fly pretty standard by the book, 99% of the time they don't lol.

TBH..I didn't know there was a different meaning to "Beaver". I'm serious about this, maybe I didn't travel with the same tribe growing up...lol

It's like Canadian money. They put the queen on one side of the coin and a beaver on the other (what's that all about). It seems they've replaced the newfie firing squad with some kind of boat on the $50 though.

TBH..I didn't know there was a different meaning to "Beaver". I'm serious about this, maybe I didn't travel with the same tribe growing up...lol

Reminds me of football practice in 11th grade with a new coach. After practice talk, he looked at one us and asked, "what's wrong with you", kid says "think I'm gonna puke (or barf, forget which)", Coach says "what's that?". Another kid tells coach that the kid is gonna throw up. :rofl:

Last edited:
It's like Canadian money. They put the queen on one side of the coin and a beaver on the other (what's that all about). It seems they've replaced the newfie firing squad with some kind of boat on the $50 though.
Canadians are a fun kind of patriotic. Staying "on topic" to the extent there still is one here, I offer:

Around my place in Rural America there is a small commuter airline called Air Choice One (nifty name huh). They fly a Caravan over my house 6 times a day going from JBR to STL and back. Being that a Caravan is a single pilot turboprop I have often wondered if I could just buy a ticket for the trip and sit right seat. Not left seat I know but would be dirt cheap for a cool ride.

Something like that would maybe be a cheap way to at least make contact / be introduced to a Caravan driver????

Around my place in Rural America there is a small commuter airline called Air Choice One (nifty name huh). They fly a Caravan over my house 6 times a day going from JBR to STL and back. Being that a Caravan is a single pilot turboprop I have often wondered if I could just buy a ticket for the trip and sit right seat. Not left seat I know but would be dirt cheap for a cool ride.

Something like that would maybe be a cheap way to at least make contact / be introduced to a Caravan driver????
I think I saw Air Choice One on a gate information display last week at MSP, at the far end of the slightly detached "B" concourse from which my CRJ200 to the farthest reaches of the hinterland (a/k/a "home") was departing. I also know that I saw a PC-12 parked in the vicinity of that end of B a few months back when I had the fortune of leaving from the "A" concourse across the alley from it. Not sure if those two were related. Definitely would like to book a flight just because the Caravan and PC-12 are both cool planes.

I don't know how that airline works, but I have some experience first- and third-hand from Cape Air in eastern Montana. They fly the Cessna 402. I read online that, if you are lucky enough to get put in the copilot seat and have a headset, they don't mind you plugging in, so I brought mine. My flight was not full, though. The ramp worker asked the pilot if he wanted a copilot and he said no, so they left that seat open. So it would be up to the loading of the plane and the pilot's discretion if you sit there and if you can plug in when you do sit there. Maybe Air Choice One works similarly, or maybe not at all. But there's a chance.

What the hell, give it a shot. We live in an era where nobody likes to talk in person and just type behind the screen. If you don't ask you don't get...plain and simple. Let us know how it turns out.

Back