Aero Commander twins pros/cons

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
So, if one had mad money to spend on a twin, why wouldn't he buy a twin commander (and a Panama hat).... Or.... Why would he buy such a thing?

Maintenance $ and hangar size are the only two cons I’ve heard of. (Not an owner, but a fan)

There is an Aero Commander for sale $35,000 at Corona, California. Its on facebook marketplace. Its say no logs/paperwork.

So, if one had mad money to spend on a twin, why wouldn't he buy a twin commander (and a Panama hat).... Or.... Why would he buy such a thing?

Because if one had mad money to spend, there are 100s of planes that are better than the twin commander.
Maintenance $ and hangar size are the only two cons I’ve heard of.

With "mad money", none of these would be a factor I assume.

I asked the same question in this thread about a year ago for exactly the same reason :) . I love the look of these planes inside and out.

FYI.....Air Force 1 is not any particular aircraft, but a callsign. Any fixed wing aircraft with POTUS onboard uses AF 1 for a callsign, with the lone exception being when Bush landed on the carrier and that a/c carried the callsign Navy 1.

FYI.....Air Force 1 is not any particular aircraft, but a callsign. Any fixed wing aircraft with POTUS onboard uses AF 1 for a callsign, with the lone exception being when Bush landed on the carrier and that a/c carried the callsign Navy 1.
Thanks for that clarification... It still remains that an Aero Commander played the role of Air Force One for Ike.

There is an Aero Commander for sale $35,000 at Corona, California. Its on facebook marketplace. Its say no logs/paperwork.

I feel like every untowered airport of a certain size has a derelict Aero Commander on the ramp, often with impressive weeds growing through them.

I feel like every untowered airport of a certain size has a derelict Aero Commander on the ramp, often with impressive weeds growing through them.
You're nothing if not consistent! :D (from the other aero commander thread)
1703193975826.png

And that's what a lawnmower is for! To chop the weeds and help reclaim the Aero Commander -- restoring it to its original glory!

You're nothing if not consistent! :D (from the other aero commander thread)
View attachment 123480

And that's what a lawnmower is for! To chop the weeds and help reclaim the Aero Commander -- restoring it to its original glory!

WOW :rofl: Either someone reconfigured the matrix, or I need my bedpan changed. Both metaphors fit here. :oops:

Only thing worse than one geared Lycoming is two geared Lycomings.
The 500 model used direct drive engines. That is where I would focus my search.

And speaking of Mr Hoover, he did a publicity flight in a twin commander (not sure which model) with one prop stowed in the baggage compartment

There must be someplace at KSUS that refurbs them - it seems like there's always a different one at a Signature tiedown every couple of weeks or so.

The 500 model used direct drive engines. That is where I would focus my search.

And speaking of Mr Hoover, he did a publicity flight in a twin commander (not sure which model) with one prop stowed in the baggage compartment
The factory did that flight during some hearings on aircraft safety, The prop was removed, the a/c flown to DC, did a demo and they reinstalled the prop for the flight home. If I remember correctly Ted Smith was one of the pilots...Ted later designed the Aerostar for Piper.

Almost, but not quite. Any Air Force aircraft - fixed wing, rotary wing, powered lift - with the POTUS on board is Air Force 1. Navy 1 is any Navy aircraft with Da Prez aboard, and so on for the other services, a civilian aircraft carrying the President is Executive 1.

If I remember correctly Ted Smith was one of the pilots...Ted later designed the Aerostar for Piper.

He also designed the Aero Commander. :D

He is NOT design the Aerostar for Piper. The original Aerostars were build by Ted Smith Aircraft Company. Later it was owned by American Cement then Butler Steel (along with Mooney). Piper was the last company to own the type certificate and actually build aircraft. TC is now held by Aerostar Aircraft Corporation.

I looked at them when trying to decide what 6 seater twin twin to buy. First thing I did was make a spreadsheet of all of the aircraft that I was considering. I compared the 310, the Aerostar, the Aero Commander (Shrike and non Shrike) and the Beech 55 and 58.

My first hurdle was the need for 175kts with at least 4 hours of fuel with 4 people plus bags (hence the need for a 6 place aircraft.) After narrowing that down, I asked the local MX guys what they knew about the aforementioned aircraft. Not a single one had experience with an Aero Commander. That was strike one.

The Aero Commander's interior space was quite small.

I now have a 310Q and am a partner in a 421C. YMMV

I looked at them when trying to decide what 6 seater twin twin to buy. First thing I did was make a spreadsheet of all of the aircraft that I was considering. ...

See, there's the problem... This is a "mad money" spend... We don't need no spreadsheets!

This is for aesthetics, classic looks, feels.

It's like who wouldn't want a Staggerwing Beech? A Cessna 195.... A cabin WACO?

My stable:

Cessna Cardinal RG (the most "practical" of the team)
Navion
Lake amphib... Or maybe a Seabee
Helio Courier (factory trike)
And the Aero Commander

These are not the most desirable aircraft, the most historically significant, the most beautiful, or practical...

They have lines... They have a certain look, or feel or quirkiness about them... And the amphibs can go...

Now, where'd I put that lottery ticket?

Back