Advice on selling engine, gauges, avionics

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
Hello. At some point in 2022, likely May or June, my plane will go in for a new engine and a complete new panel. I'd like some advice on how to maximize my value on a potential engine sale versus sending it in for the core charge return. O320 E2D, about 300 since top overhaul, consumes little/no oil, good compressions, and as of yesterday good oil analysis. I'd also like advice on selling my current panel which includes a WaaS GPS, an autopilot, and other typical stuff.

My current thought is to try and list these for sale now, take a token small deposit, allow potential buyers to come and see the plane with everything working. But I have no idea of market value, or how to best sell.

Any pointers or advice?

What's core charge value?
What's included in the core?
Replacing or reusing accessories?
What autopilot?
What GPS?
I would take inventory of the above then look for comps. Homebuilders frequently look for engines like yours; VAF is one place I would advertise it if looking to sell.

Why a new engine after 300 hours in a top overhual? What is the total time?

Why a new engine after 300 hours in a top overhual? What is the total time?

1. I am a newer pilot to whom many people say I should consider full overhaul based upon time on this 1989 or so engine.
2. A local IA said he won't sign off annual
3. Last oil analysis suggested metal- it wasn't though, likely technique and sampling error. Next analysis was the best yet.
4. Improved performance and peace of mind. The peace of mind might not be a factor if I had thousands of hours.
5. A desire to make this plane really nice, a potential last plane. Take away some of the desire to move up in plane performance (though I have since thought to build an RV)
6. USEFUL LOAD +250#
7. USEFUL LOAD +250#

What's core charge value?
What's included in the core?
Replacing or reusing accessories?
What autopilot?
What GPS?
I would take inventory of the above then look for comps. Homebuilders frequently look for engines like yours; VAF is one place I would advertise it if looking to sell.

I'm not sure about what's included
I do not know what you mean by accessories. I think only the battery and muffler is not being replaced.
Trutrak Vizion. Two axis. Works well. Not certified for approaches and/or above 700ft AGL.
Garmin 175 GPS
Dual King Nav/com, one with GS

My current thought is to try and list these for sale now, take a token small deposit, allow potential buyers to come and see the plane with everything working. But I have no idea of market value, or how to best sell.
No one will want to wait that long for avionics. If they're in the market they're not going to send you money for avionics that you're still using. After the avionics shop rips them out, throw them on facebook marketplace, there's several avionics specific pages to sell everything. You could also put them on Barnstormers.com.

I would also recommend putting the engine on barnstormers, but that's more of a gamble and will be a much bigger headache than just accepting the core return value.

Goodluck with your upgrades!

No one will want to wait that long for avionics. If they're in the market they're not going to send you money for avionics that you're still using. After the avionics shop rips them out, throw them on facebook marketplace, there's several avionics specific pages to sell everything. You could also put them on Barnstormers.com.

I would also recommend putting the engine on barnstormers, but that's more of a gamble and will be a much bigger headache than just accepting the core return value.

Goodluck with your upgrades!

Thanks. I've sure sent a lot of money in for avionics I'm not using!

I'm not sure about what's included
I do not know what you mean by accessories. I think only the battery and muffler is not being replaced.
Trutrak Vizion. Two axis. Works well. Not certified for approaches and/or above 700ft AGL.
Garmin 175 GPS
Dual King Nav/com, one with GS
I would want to know what's included.
Why will your A&P not sign off annual? Metal in filer?
Accessories: fuel system, magnetos, harnesses, vacuum pump, hoses, anything attached to the "accessory case".
That Garmin 175 and Trutrak autopilot should be easy to sell and assess value by looking for other recent sales.
I agree with @Mtns2Skies regarding waiting for avionics, etc. Also agree on it would be easier to just turn the motor in for core value. The motor may be different in terms of selling; you may find someone willing to wait for it. Better yet, build an RV and keep the motor to install in it. You can overhaul it at your leisure; under guidance of someone familiar you would gain significant knowledge in the process.

I would want to know what's included.
Why will your A&P not sign off annual? It's complicated. he is a nice guy, other than that I will keep my opinions to myself as they are not material. Metal in filer? NO
Accessories: fuel system, magnetos, harnesses, vacuum pump, hoses, anything attached to the "accessory case". Everything being replaced.
That Garmin 175 and Trutrak autopilot should be easy to sell and assess value by looking for other recent sales.
I agree with @Mtns2Skies regarding waiting for avionics, etc. Also agree on it would be easier to just turn the motor in for core value. The motor may be different in terms of selling; you may find someone willing to wait for it. Better yet, build an RV and keep the motor to install in it. You can overhaul it at your leisure; under guidance of someone familiar you would gain significant knowledge in the process.

@4RNB I would suggest giving Saavy a call about getting an independent second opinion about your engine to make you more confident in your final choice/decision.

As for the avionics, take video of them working right before you remove, and sell after removal. Or list about 2-4 weeks before removal. I sold most of mine between POA and Barnstormers.

Any pointers or advice?
Be sure to calculate your time spent into selling all those parts especially since they will "as is where is" condition. You may find it will not "maximize your value" that much. FYI: I had more success selling/buying aircraft parts on eBay than those other sites.
though I have since thought to build an RV
FWIW: if this is a possibility and you will be replacing everything on your new engine then I would definitely consider keeping this engine if it will fit in with your RV airframe. You'll never come across a better deal. But to hedge that future bet, I would perform the OEM long term storage process on it prior to removal and document that in the engine logbook. And maintain that long term storage in the future. If your plans change then you still have value in the engine and can look to sell at that time. But keep in mind the price of the new engine will be higher without a core and depending on where you purchase it can be more than the value of the core.
A local IA said he won't sign off annual
While respect your reply above, what specifically did he state was wrong on why he wont' sign it?
to whom many people say I should consider full overhaul based upon time on this 1989 or so engine.
FYI: That is merely an opinion by those people. There are "many" engines flying from that same time frame. Condition is everything.

1. I am a newer pilot to whom many people say I should consider full overhaul based upon time on this 1989 or so engine.
Nopity nope nope! Mines an '89 and still running strong (knock on wood). Calendar time does not equal condition. I have a lot more trust in my engine than I would a brand new one. Infant mortality on engines is a scary thought.

Be sure to calculate your time spent into selling all those parts especially since they will "as is where is" condition. You may find it will not "maximize your value" that much. FYI: I had more success selling/buying aircraft parts on eBay than those other sites.

FWIW: if this is a possibility and you will be replacing everything on your new engine then I would definitely consider keeping this engine if it will fit in with your RV airframe. You'll never come across a better deal. But to hedge that future bet, I would perform the OEM long term storage process on it prior to removal and document that in the engine logbook. And maintain that long term storage in the future. If your plans change then you still have value in the engine and can look to sell at that time. But keep in mind the price of the new engine will be higher without a core and depending on where you purchase it can be more than the value of the core.

While respect your reply above, what specifically did he state was wrong on why he wont' sign it?

FYI: That is merely an opinion by those people. There are "many" engines flying from that same time frame. Condition is everything.

It wont fit RV, I am considering a 10 or 14
Local IA HAS NOT PERFORMED AN ANNUAL, he just does not do them on post time engines, or mine.

It wont fit RV, I am considering a 10 or 14
Local IA HAS NOT PERFORMED AN ANNUAL, he just does not do them on post time engines, or mine.
This is an IA that you do not want to ever touch your aircraft. Find a shop that understands older aircraft. I expect that even with a good aircraft, his annuals will cost 2x what another shop would charge.

You most likely better keep your engine to send in for a core. Finding shops with E2D’s on the shelf to rebuild has been a struggle for some.

Yup, find another IA.
Thanks.

This really isn't soliciting feedback for my motives, choices, use of mechanics.

I am only interested in learning about how to sell stuff in a reasonable manner without giving away value.

since it appears that money is really not an issue for you i would take the above advice of trading in the core and once the avionics get ripped out to sell them on ebay or barnstormers and take what you can get and move on. for me personally the "hassle" of selling old stuff is not worth the time. the stuff you mentioned is not really worth that much so don't put too much time into the selling process.

If my IA was telling me I need a new engine and an STC was available for an engine that would add #250 useful load, it’s a no brainer. You are getting added safety from both.

And when other pilots tell you to get a new IA, ask to see their planes first. Many of the get a new IA types fly trash cans I would not get in.

Last edited:
"Likely May or June" is a red flag for me. Do you have a definite appointment? Can you get an engine by then? Do you have your avionics in your hands yet?

Lead time on engines has become very long and some avionics manufacturers have no inventory because of chip shortages.

I'm assuming this engine swap isn't just because of TBO but you're also doing a horsepower upgrade?

If my IA was telling me I need a new engine and an STC was available for an engine that would add #250 useful load, it’s a no brainer. You are getting added safety from both.

And when other pilots tell you to get a new IA, ask to see their planes first. Many of the get a new IA types fly trash cans I would not get in.

LOL, I collect IAs, have used at least 5 in the short time I've owned a plane. I can't afford to not avail myself to assistance.

Anytime Chip. Anytime you want to inspect my Lance for mechanic 'trashness', my hanger doors will be open. My base is Bartow in central Florida.

Except for out-of-town issues, I have stayed with just 2 IA's since 1986. And the change was due to changes in where I based my aircraft. (It is time for a third IA now because I just moved again.)

The point I was making when I said he needed a new IA was due to the fact that his IA had a fixed rule that he would not work on 'expired/aged' (even if not past-TBO) engines. That attitude tells me enough that the IA needs to be replaced.

Thanks.

This really isn't soliciting feedback for my motives, choices, use of mechanics.

I am only interested in learning about how to sell stuff in a reasonable manner without giving away value.

Time is money too! Make a few posts, reduce the price by 5-10% every week until it sells.

"Likely May or June" is a red flag for me. Do you have a definite appointment? Can you get an engine by then? Do you have your avionics in your hands yet?

Lead time on engines has become very long and some avionics manufacturers have no inventory because of chip shortages.

Everything is ordered. May or June is best guess on things arriving.

Anytime Chip. Anytime you want to inspect my Lance for mechanic 'trashness', my hanger doors will be open. My base is Bartow in central Florida.

Except for out-of-town issues, I have stayed with just 2 IA's since 1986. And the change was due to changes in where I based my aircraft. (It is time for a third IA now because I just moved again.)

The point I was making when I said he needed a new IA was due to the fact that his IA had a fixed rule that he would not work on 'expired/aged' (even if not past-TBO) engines. That attitude tells me enough that the IA needs to be replaced.

It is likely not a fixed rule but the internets like going off topic and ignoring my comments about it being complicated and my not wanting to talk about it further.

Back