Advice for cleaning audio connectors?

itsjames2011

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
James
So it turns out that some of the scratchy crackling that has been happening from my comm radios has to do with dirt and oxidation on the male(brass) end of my David Clark push to talk switch which hooks into the panel. I was told to clean the connector and the inside of the jacks with scotch brite and I'm wondering which one to buy.

Is this the stuff?
http://m.scotch-brite.com/wps/porta...ite-Heavy-Duty-Scour-Pad?N=3294631680&rt=mrud

James

Yes, Scotch-Brite works as does steel wool. However, I prefer to use Brasso and a rag.

Scotch-Brite will do it, but it's pretty abrasive. I'd start with a pencil eraser and if that didn't work, try a kitchen green pad. If that didn't work, then think about Scotch-Brite.

Yes, Scotch-Brite works as does steel wool. However, I prefer to use Brasso and a rag.
I was thinking of using Brasso and a rag since I have a bottle and someone told me that it would leave a protective coating that would reduce conductivity.

Scotch-Brite will do it, but it's pretty abrasive. I'd start with a pencil eraser and if that didn't work, try a kitchen green pad. If that didn't work, then think about Scotch-Brite.

Scotch- Brite comes in several grits...

Green, Maroon, White, etc etc....

Personally I would use green for the male plug and Brasso on a pipe cleaner for the female socket...

I was thinking of using Brasso and a rag since I have a bottle and someone told me that it would leave a protective coating that would reduce conductivity.

I don't know if that's so, but in any event, why would you want to reduce conductivity on a connector?

Tim

I don't know if that's so, but in any event, why would you want to reduce conductivity on a connector?

Tim

I wouldn't want that at all which is why I was hesitating to use the brasso. Apparently you just have to give it a good cleaning with alcohol afterwards.

Oh, for corn sake, it is simple oxidation and crap removal. "Bartender's Friend" and a damp rag works wonders, doesn't scratch the brass, and is available at your local supermarket.

The larger question is why DC is still using brass when there are connectors out there that do NOT oxidize.

Jim

Clearly that headset is defective. PM me for information to properly dispose of it.

Aerosol contact cleaner an old clean toothbrush. If a microphone plug is causing static it's more likely the female port is the problem. Replace if the male plug doesn't seat firmly. I fight my own sometimes because the receptacle becomes loose in the panel. Make sure the receptacle is securely seated.

I would spray it with corrosion x. Great stuff for the plane every year at annual.

I had the same issue. Used a white pen eraser followed with a very light coating of dielectric grease. No more problems

Back