ADSB rebate is back

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
$500 for ya
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/october/12/faa-relaunches-ads-b-out-rebate

from link above:
The FAA on Oct. 12 reopened the $500 rebate program to support Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) Out equipage. The program that had ended in September 2017 will now close Oct. 11, 2019. The agency is making $4.9 million available under the new rebate program, which will help to fund 9,800 new ADS-B Out installations.

Last edited:
just when I thought I will not do ADSB until 2020 Jan

Enough to cover tax...

;)

Kind of suspected they would, after hearing that the first one was significantly under-subscribed.

So what's that ... if something doesn't work, try it again?

They put a time limit on it for whatever reason and the time ran out before the money did, so why not. I'm sure a lot of people didn't want to upgrade several years early.

I just pulled the trigger on a GTX330. After selling my GTX327 I'll be ~$200 into it, Then the $1300 upgrade to ES and I'm set compliant for ~$1500 + very little (if any), labor.

Too bad the rebate requires new equipment. Not just "new to me."

I signed up for my rebate. GDL82 here we come!

I managed to get everything done last year *just* in time to claim the rebate... But I'm curious how people feel who just completed their installations and don't qualify for the new rebate!

I would expect that things will start slow, and pick up next summer/fall toward the end, when the rebates can be combined with airshow discounts. We saved a total of about $1600 on our installation between the rebate, Garmin "seminar bucks", and show discounts.

I wonder how people who installed ADS-B between the two rebate programs feel about this.

I wonder how people who installed ADS-B between the two rebate programs feel about this.

I would be in that category. Frustrated a bit. But makes little difference. I did a $38,000 panel overhaul. I wouldn't turn down $500, but it would not be something that would have influenced what I chose to do.

Still. $500. Bleh.

I put mine in a couple months ago and still applied for the rebate.

I have my reservation code number and I’m going to go through the flight verification process and submit it to see if it goes through.

Tax on what?

Jim
It was mainly a joke...

$500 is a drop in the bucket considering the cost of some ADSB solutions, but it’s much better than nothing nonetheless.

I just pulled the trigger on a GTX330. After selling my GTX327 I'll be ~$200 into it, Then the $1300 upgrade to ES and I'm set compliant for ~$1500 + very little (if any), labor.

How do you figure very little labor? The 330 is not a slide in replacement for the 327. Isnt it effectively a full transponder replacement installation, aka no less installation cost than slapping a KT-xx or garmin 335 or whatever? And yes, I too have a gns waas navigator hooked up to the 327, so the labor savings over needing a dedicated waas antenna is also n/a when going to a 330 in this instance.

If you did a gdl82 it would have counted as new equipment and would have been 1100 all-in after the rebate. I'm actually installing a gtx327 and a gdl82. Still saves me several thousand over a gtx335. Of course that's 978mhz not 1090, but not an issue domestically below 18000.

$500 for ya
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/october/12/faa-relaunches-ads-b-out-rebate

from link above:
The FAA on Oct. 12 reopened the $500 rebate program to support Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) Out equipage. The program that had ended in September 2017 will now close Oct. 11, 2019. The agency is making $4.9 million available under the new rebate program, which will help to fund 9,800 new ADS-B Out installations.

What aggravates me about this is, I added ADSB Out in March of this past year, and this rebate is NOT retroactive! Typical f’en government... “no we won’t have another rebate, better upgrade before 2020 and the avionics shops are full”.... the only thing that is full is the FAA, who are full of s#$&! This should be retroavtive for this past year. The last rebate ended in Oct 17. Now Oct 18 it is back on!

PS- being retired now, I have lots of time to write emails to the FAA, which I will be.

Last edited:
I managed to get everything done last year *just* in time to claim the rebate... But I'm curious how people feel who just completed their installations and don't qualify for the new rebate!

I would expect that things will start slow, and pick up next summer/fall toward the end, when the rebates can be combined with airshow discounts. We saved a total of about $1600 on our installation between the rebate, Garmin "seminar bucks", and show discounts.

Damn F’en MAD!

What aggravates me about this is, I added ADSB Out in March of this past year, and this rebate is NOT retroactive! Typical f’en government... “no we won’t have another rebate, better upgrade before 2020 and the avionics shops are full”.... the only thing that is full is the FAA, who are full of s#$&! This should be retroavtive for this past year. The last rebate ended in Oct 17. Now Oct 18 it is back on!

PS- being retired now, I have lots of time to write emails to the FAA, which I will be.
be sure to include your congresscritter.....;)

FYI...if your registration number appears in the ADS-B out stream....you will not qualify for the "new" rebate.

FYI...if your registration number appears in the ADS-B out stream....you will not qualify for the "new" rebate.

Isn't the whole point of ADS-B to identify the aircraft? ADS-B out should identify who you are. What am I missing?

Isn't the whole point of ADS-B to identify the aircraft? ADS-B out should identify who you are. What am I missing?
with regards to the rebate.....if you newly installed ADS-B out...your registration number will be "in" the system and not qualify for the rebate.

i.e.; I just installed a GTX 330ES two months ago....my system will not qualify for the rebate.

Isn't the whole point of ADS-B to identify the aircraft? ADS-B out should identify who you are.
with regards to the rebate.....if you newly installed ADS-B out...your registration number will be "in" the system and not qualify for the rebate.

i.e.; I just installed a GTX 330ES two months ago....my system will not qualify for the rebate.

Somewhat less than obvious from his language.

Yes, if you did it after the previous rebate and before this, bad timing. It's life.

OTOH, I is a nice incentive to get off my butt and get it done.

yup....bad timing is life. o_O

but, my box was "used" so it wouldn't qualify anyways. :D

I technically have ADSB out with GDL 90, which doesn’t meet 2020 mandate, does that mean I am not going get the 500 if I spend 5 grand?

I apologize if it seems that I am sparring with you, but why would anyone offer a retroactive rebate on ANYTHING? Rebates are used to promote things. If you already bought it, it doesn’t need promoting. I wrote a fat check in May for my 345 and I am retired too. Unfortunately that’s how it goes. You win some and you lose some.

I apologize if it seems that I am sparring with you, but why would anyone offer a retroactive rebate on ANYTHING? Rebates are used to promote things. If you already bought it, it doesn’t need promoting. I wrote a fat check in May for my 345 and I am retired too. Unfortunately that’s how it goes. You win some and you lose some.

Did you add the FS210??

It seems to add a lot of bang for not too many bucks.

I technically have ADSB out with GDL 90, which doesn’t meet 2020 mandate, does that mean I am not going get the 500 if I spend 5 grand?
depends on the SIL code....if it's a >=3...probably not.

I did not add the Flightstream, but added the wiring to add it later. After that I injured my shoulder and couldn’t handle the manual landing gear any longer. I bought an electric gear Mooney and had them swap the 345 and 430 W for the 327 and non WAAS 430 between the planes as part of the deal and am not sure if the FS wiring will work. Whatever it takes I plan on adding the FS when I put in the Tru Trak in a few months.

depends on the SIL code....if it's a >=3...probably not.
um... donno what you said thar... is there a way to check that SIL code thing you mention? not sure if its means anything, but FlightAware picks up my ADSB

um... donno what you said thar... is there a way to check that SIL code thing you mention? not sure if its means anything, but FlightAware picks up my ADSB
If it's an approved TSO'd unit it will transmit a SIL >=3....if not SIL=1.

If it's an approved TSO'd unit it will transmit a SIL >=3....if not SIL=1.
hmm... well it was a prototype that was supposed to be the answer to all problems in the world... for whatever reason GDL 90 is not complaint with 2020 mandate. it is not in the approved list of items anymore. guess i will write an email to FAA to clarify and probably will never hear back from them

Back