ADS-B question from a non-pilot

PSU85

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kip Horn
My son just completed his freshman year in the aviation program at Arizona State. He has 6 hours to build and then on to the IFR check ride. He was home for a brief summer break and we got to talking about the Stratus 2S ADS-B units. He's interested in purchasing one with some of his hard earned cash. He asked for my opinion since it is a rather big investment for a 19 year old.

So I set out to do some research and immediately ran into a problem. As a non-pilot, I really have no idea what most of the articles are talking about. I found out that there's some mandate coming in 2020 requiring all/most(?) planes to have ADS-B out. I checked out the AOPA site and they have an ADS-B Out Selector flow chart which meant nothing to me. I skipped to the bottom and clicked on the link to the UAT with WAAS GPS page where it listed 10 or so units that can be installed into your aircraft to make it compliant with the new law.

Here's my question. If this mandate pushes aircraft owners to install one of these $3,000 boxes, will this render the Stratus 2S to a $900 paperweight? Are these new transponders out only meaning you'll still need ADS-B In to see what's out there? I hate to see him make this investment only to have it become obsolete in a few years. I know tech things, like the computer I'm typing on, have very short lives but this is a pretty serious investment for a kid that earns what he can at $10/hour jobs while going to school.

The Stratus is an ADSB *in* receiver. The mandate is for ADSB *out* installed in aircraft. Unless he owns an aircraft or knows that every plane he flies will be ADSB *in* equipped it won't be obsolete. And it's a big investment in safety imho.

All that said do NOT buy a Stratus.

Build an open source version for $700 less. Easy.

http://stratux.me/

And he will learn a few things in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that assumes they have the knack and are interested in building electronic gizmos.

No it doesn't. It basically snaps together and you can buy every component from an amazon shopping list ready to go. Or you buy one for $100 more that someone has already assembled for you and still save $600 or so. And it works as well as or better than the Stratus.

Here is but one example.

Assembled Stratux Dual Band ADS-B and Weather Receiver with AHRS WAAS GPS and Power Pack V2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZTZ06C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uP3wzb2DS1V47

I agree with ''gsengle'. The Stratx units are very easy to assemble and they work great for both GPS and ADS-B In. I originally purchased an iLevil when they first came out. I recently started having problems with the ADS-B portion of the iLevil and they wanted more to repair it than it cost to assemble a Stratx from parts. I have been very pleased with the Stratx and like 'gsengle', I recommend going this route. Even if you fly in a plane that is ADS-B Out and In equiped, for the cost of a Stratx, it is certainly worth having as a backup.

Here is another thread with a Stratx parts list to purchase from Amazon.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/stratux-build-parts-list.101187/#post-2275201

Last edited:
To the OP. ADS-B is valuable to most of us as it allows us to identify other airplanes in our proximity on our moving maps. Your son's Stratus is an in only device. There are two ways ADS-B works. Plane to plane and via earth station translators. In both cases, while outside of typical radar-covered airspace, your "In" receiver won't see the traffic because you aren't a "client" of the system. Client status comes from providing an "out" signal. In the interim between now and 2020 many planes won't be seen and therefore the total utility of ADS-B is reduced. Even after 2020 some airplanes in uncontrolled airspaces won't be required to utilize ADS-B so there will always be a need to look for traffic. You can google up some really good ADS-B information and videos if you want to learn more. Western Alaska was one of the testbeds for ADS-B and it was very popular among the bush pilot crowd. Lots of guys dis it but there's little question the system has merit.

Wait till end of the month, I hear a lower priced ADSB-IN is coming if u don't want to build one. ADSB-OUT is the mandate by 2020, but if he is renting, it doesn't makes any difference in his life. The rental will have it. Note the mandate doenst apply if u r not flying in certain airspaces.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Great advice so far. Sounds like the OP is just confused with in vs out.

Out = mandated and is a safety improvement as others can see you.
In = optional but extremely useful. If you're like me in rural areas the "in" (stratus or stratux) is mainly useful for adsb weather. The traffic is nice too but I just don't fly in congested airspace often.

Agree with the others. Either build a stratux or don't do a thing. And this is coming from someone that had a stratus 2 that isn't used often since my recent panel changes have negated it.

If he is almost done with IFR he should know whether or not he needs ADS-B in. I would let him make the decision.

If the aircraft he flies does not have ADS-B out, I wouldn't bother. I have flown with both the Stratux and Stratus in airplanes with and w/out ADS-B out. The only thing that made sense at the end of the day was Stratus 2S w/ an aircraft with ADS-B out. Stratux is a little more of a hassle than the Stratus. If he is going to be a career pilot just get the Stratus 2S, the internal battery is very convenient.

I'll have a Stratus 2 (not 2s) for sale here shortly...once Garmin puts out there next GTN software update. Still need the Stratus at the moment though :mad:

No it doesn't. It basically snaps together and you can buy every component from an amazon shopping list ready to go. Or you buy one for $100 more that someone has already assembled for you and still save $600 or so. And it works as well as or better than the Stratus.
One man's "basic snap together" is another man's "WTF is this?"

And yes, since I have a Stratux, I know exactly how easy it is. I also know many people who would find it a difficult and stressful chore.

One man's "basic snap together" is another man's "WTF is this?"

And yes, since I have a Stratux, I know exactly how easy it is. I also know many people who would find it a difficult and stressful chore.

Which is why in the next part of my post which you didn't requote showed a link to purchase a stratux pre assembled still at something like $600 savings over a Stratus...

+1 for the roll-your-own stratux. It's "construction" is literally plugging in 3 USBs and a micro SD card if you don't add the GPS. If you're solder-averse you can buy standalone a GPS receiver (Dual xGPS150 is a good one) and still be hundreds of dollars cheaper than a Stratus

All that said do NOT buy a Stratus.

Build an open source version for $700 less. Easy.
Wait ... WHAT?
When did Stratux prices get that high? I'd rather spend $700 on a used Stratus that is ONE box instead of the huge mess of cables, batteries, antennas, cables, boxes and other junk that makes up Stratux.

But really, when did the few-dollar home-built toy turn into a multiple-hundred-dollar ripoff?

Wait ... WHAT?
When did Stratux prices get that high? I'd rather spend $700 on a used Stratus that is ONE box instead of the huge mess of cables, batteries, antennas, cables, boxes and other junk that makes up Stratux.

But really, when did the few-dollar home-built toy turn into a multiple-hundred-dollar ripoff?

No one said you had to buy one that someone else assembled. Also, the stratux can all fit in one case too. Sorry, I'm not spending an extra $600 on a slightly tidier case... the OP described a college kid that makes $10 an hour. Is a slightly tidier case worth a week and a half of full time work?

You bought a Stratus for $175?

Wait ... WHAT?

My Stratux is all self-contained. Built the whole thing for $175.

Nope, I built one for $175. I put up a price/parts list a few months back, I'll see if I can track it down.

Re read my post. You built a stratux not a Stratus. I'm advocating for building a stratux at that kind of savings over a *stratus*

Re read my post. You built a stratux not a Stratus. I'm advocating for building a stratux at that kind of savings over a *stratus*

Correct, which is why I deleted my post, lol. You just saw it before I had a chance to get rid of it.

Correct, which is why I deleted my post, lol. You just saw it before I had a chance to get rid of it.

Ha! So tell everyone how easy it was to build. Any photo of it so people don't believe it's a mad scientist monstrosity?

Ha! So tell everyone how easy it was to build. Any photo of it so people don't believe it's a mad scientist monstrosity?

It was an agonizing 10 minutes to assemble.... If people are less inclined to fuss with the software, they can purchase a micro-SD card with the most recent firmware. That was the only piece that was a wee bit fiddly. Other than that, it was a just a matter of snapping the pieces together, screwing on the antenna, and plugging it in.

No one said you had to buy one that someone else assembled. Also, the stratux can all fit in one case too. Sorry, I'm not spending an extra $600 on a slightly tidier case... the OP described a college kid that makes $10 an hour. Is a slightly tidier case worth a week and a half of full time work?
Ah, I missed that part. Assembled Stratux for as much as a used Stratus? Hahahah! I am in the wrong business!

Not that we really care. :p

It was an agonizing 10 minutes to assemble.... If people are less inclined to fuss with the software, they can purchase a micro-SD card with the most recent firmware. That was the only piece that was a wee bit fiddly. Other than that, it was a just a matter of snapping the pieces together, screwing on the antenna, and plugging it in.
Yeah, that's what threw me. I expect all of us pah-lots to be smart and capable of snapping a few connectors together in a box.
Hmm, new business idea: how about we start selling overpriced pre-assembled puzzle? :D

Ah, I missed that part. Assembled Stratux for as much as a used Stratus? Hahahah! I am in the wrong business!

Not that we really care. :p

Yeah, that's what threw me. I expect all of us pah-lots to be smart and capable of snapping a few connectors together in a box.
Hmm, new business idea: how about we start selling overpriced pre-assembled puzzle? :D

Yep for the third time for around $200 you can buy a pre assembled stratux. A number of people do it for around $100 in profit...

I built my Stratux for FREE because I am into electronics, and had everything. I still ended up buying a Stratus. That was around the time when I started to realize why some things are more expensive than others.

Having said that the people I built (for free) a Stratux for absolutely love it. They all plug them in. I went through at least 5 different portable USB power banks, and cheap USB cables before deciding it just wasn't for me.

To each their own, but as a low hours pilot I have enough to deal with as it is, without having to worry about a Raspberry Pi, two power hungry SDRs and a warped 3D printed case that spent hardly any time in the sun.

I'll have a Stratus 2 (not 2s) for sale here shortly...once Garmin puts out there next GTN software update. Still need the Stratus at the moment though :mad:
I might suggest selling now. With each new announcement, the value, and thus the price, of the Stratus will drop quickly.

I fly with the Nexus 7 2013 (Android) tablet running Avare. Not long ago, I purchased the Dual XGPS 150a for <$100 off Amazon for the improved GPS accuracy and it works just fine with the Avare I/O plugin installed.

I'm curious about the Stratux build to get weather/traffic info ... if I build the Stratux and pair it with my tablet/Avare, does that make the XPGS unit redundant/useless? I assume I can't run both simultaneously/perhaps don't NEED both simultaneously if the Stratux build is comprised of a GPS. Any advice there? Should I build the Stratux and offload the XPGS unit as a used item?

I fly with the Nexus 7 2013 (Android) tablet running Avare. Not long ago, I purchased the Dual XGPS 150a for <$100 off Amazon for the improved GPS accuracy and it works just fine with the Avare I/O plugin installed.

I'm curious about the Stratux build to get weather/traffic info ... if I build the Stratux and pair it with my tablet/Avare, does that make the XPGS unit redundant/useless? I assume I can't run both simultaneously/perhaps don't NEED both simultaneously if the Stratux build is comprised of a GPS. Any advice there? Should I build the Stratux and offload the XPGS unit as a used item?
If you include GPS capability in your Stratux, your Dual will become redundant. Unless you have external power for the Nexus, I'm not sure I would want the power drain off running both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connections at the same time as my screen is being kept on for (most of) a flight.

Thanks for the input. I suspected as much - if I get the GPS WAAS capability, I'm fine with not using the Dual unit anymore with this tablet (could pair it with a backup tablet if necessary). Mainly looking to see if I can improve upon what I have now by adding weather and traffic data into the existing app that I already like to use.

Thanks for the input. I suspected as much - if I get the GPS WAAS capability, I'm fine with not using the Dual unit anymore with this tablet (could pair it with a backup tablet if necessary). Mainly looking to see if I can improve upon what I have now by adding weather and traffic data into the existing app that I already like to use.

Stratux is low cost, low risk, high reward. Gps, traffic, weather. And the software inside is improving/upgradable. You can even now include ahars in your build. Let us know how if turns out.

Stratux is low cost, low risk, high reward.
Yup, for a time, I used a single band stratux for weather, along with the iPad's internal GPS. I think it was around $50 all in, hard to beat that bang/$.

Yup, for a time, I used a single band stratux for weather, along with the iPad's internal GPS. I think it was around $50 all in, hard to beat that bang/$.

I don't know the history but it came it seems to me as a response to the highway robbery of Stratus pricing. It's not like the data format is complicated to decipher and all the components were pretty much out there for a builder to put together starting with Radpberry PI and other low cost computer initiatives.

All the talk about Stratux and not many answers for the OP.

To the OP: ADS-B is a piece of equipment that broadcasts the aircraft location and other flight data. ADS-B Out is the function that is mandated and requires an installed piece of equipment that does the broadcasting (transmitting) and any additional equipment to provide the data, that is the GPS position. The Stratus and Stratux are receivers and do not comply with any part of the mandate since they don't transmit on either of the ADS-B frequencies. It is the transmit function that is mandated. For certified aircraft, a position source must meet certain technical qualifications (usually WAAS) and the broadcasting equipment must have been demonstrated to work with the specific position source. The mandate is an airspace mandate, meaning if you are not equipped, you may not enter the airspace that requires it. The Stratus or Stratux are useful with or without ADS-B Out being installed in the aircraft.

...to complicate matters, you could consider the new Seattle Avionics PingBuddy 2, a $149 pre-built, micro, stratux. Uses GPS in your cellular-enabled tablet. USB power from "cigarette lighter" or use a snicker-sized battery.

All the talk about Stratux and not many answers for the OP.

How many is "many"? ;)

Within three hours of the initial post there were three responses which I think answer the question.

Unfortunately (as is usually the case around here :rolleyes:) the thread diverted into a discussion on building your own ADS-B reciever.

...to complicate matters, you could consider the new Seattle Avionics PingBuddy 2, a $149 pre-built, micro, stratux. Uses GPS in your cellular-enabled tablet. USB power from "cigarette lighter" or use a snicker-sized battery.

Did Seattle Avionics buy out uAvionix?

The Stratux doesn't have working AHRS/Synthetic Vision right? I know they were working on it...not that it matters just curious

Well I'm confused. Why would he buy one unless he owns his own airplane?
Did I miss something?

Back