ADS-B decision

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by MountainDude, Feb 28, 2019.

1. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc
    If it doesn’t REDUCE safety, then why is anyone opposed to others spending their own money? I promise that I won’t tell you or anyone else what to purchase with their own money.

I will apologize if anyone was offended by any of my comments, but the paranoia kind of sticks out like a sore thumb for at least one of the posters here.

2. iflyvfr

iflyvfr Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg
    There will always be a contingent of pilots that believe much like NORDO, having a radio and using it - even a handheld doesn't enhance safety. I don't agree, but I know there's nothing I can say to change their minds. ADS-B seems to me to be much the same argument. I happen to like seeing where other traffic is, but others prefer to rely on the see & avoid principle and big sky theory.

The only thing I worry about is, once a target has been identified, I have to fight to avoid becoming fixated on it. At those times I imagine myself staring at my iOS device while another non-ADSB target T-bones me...

MBDiagMan likes this.
  3. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc
    Well I feel even better about equipping both planes with ADS-B OUT & IN.

I have flown the Mooney a good bit with a 345, connected to a 430W and bluetoothed to Foreflight. I flew the Cessna a little over 2 hours yesterday with the new Appareo ESG and Stratus 3i feeding Foreflight.

About a year ago I started reading about the fact that over time many new features would find their way into ADS-B, but never really expected that to happen. Well it definitely is happening. I found several new IN features in the selections in the MAPS portion of Foreflight including; cloud top levels, icing levels, ADS-B towers shown on charts and of course traffic. There are various settings that are appearing such as hiding distant traffic although I think that one has been there a long time. I read that many features and added functionality is on its way and I now believe it.

All of these features are part of ADS-B IN, without requiring OUT to take advantage of them, BUT, very importantly if you are not transmitting OUT, you are not triggering direct reports from traffic near you. You are relying only on the towers as I understand it. I could be wrong.

I am just now digging into all this and have the equipment to take advantage of it.

If you just putt-putt around near home in a J3 away from rule airspace, it is probably overkill, but for anyone doing cross country travel or go near rule air space, it is something you should look into equipping for and learning about IMHO.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 5:15 AM
    flyingcheesehead likes this.
  4. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Yes, there were several new products that started broadcasting this past June, including the first two in your list. Towers have been visible on charts in ForeFlight for a long time, though I think you might have to switch that on. Hiding distant traffic has been there for a long time.

ADS-B Out equipped traffic is always transmitting position... But not necessarily on both bands. If you have a dual-band receiver, you should see all other Out-equipped traffic. If you have a single-band receiver, you're relying on the towers to re-transmit traffic that's on the other band (I think this component is called ADS-R as in Rebroadcast).

In addition, non-ADS-B Out equipped traffic that is on radar will be sent to In-equipped traffic if it's within their "hockey puck" (±3500 feet and 15 miles, IIRC) (TIS-B).

MBDiagMan likes this.
  5. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc
    Oh! I get it about the ADS-R! Now that I have focused on this I am learning all kinds of stuff. Thanks.

I read somewhere and maybe don’t yet have it right, that if you are transmitting OUT, the ADS-B traffic around you will transmit directly to you. I still need to study that one. I don’t have that concept in my head correctly yet. Anyway if you have OUT, it somehow effects what you are receiving on your IN.

6. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    ADS-B Out equipped traffic is always transmitting to everyone, whether you're equipped or not. That's what you see when you have a Stratus or similar device.

What having your own Out will get you is that non-equipped traffic that's on radar only. The ground stations will transmit the location of that traffic to you if you have Out *and* In and there's traffic in your "hockey puck".

7. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc
    Got it! Thanks cheesehead!

flyingcheesehead likes this.
  8. MountainDude

MountainDude Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    MountainDude
    I tried to order SkyBeacon today, but it only allowed me to pre-order (which I did). I called them to ask them about the status of my order, but only got voice mail. Does anyone know how soon I will get the unit?

9. kgruber

kgruber En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skywag
  10. MountainDude

MountainDude Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    MountainDude
    They don't have the adapter (just called them and they did not even know about it till my phone call).
    :(