FORANE
After having suffered through the Navworx debacle,
after installing a uavionix echouat then subsequently removing it,
I have bought a GDL-88.

The Lancair has:
GRT Horizon HX EFIS
430w
PMA8000BT audio panel
and I run a Asus TF700 tablet with anywheremap (no ads-b option)
GTX-327 transponder

Who has GDL-88 knowledge?
I would like to take advantage of the audio alerts of traffic.
I would like to have popup display of threatening traffic much like the 496 does for threatening terrain.
I hear the GRT displays traffic well but only on the map page which I never use, so its out as a display; I think.

Questions...
Is the 430w capable of displaying traffic on the regular map page (which I use), or only on an alternate page for traffic (which I will never use)?
Can a 496 display traffic as a popup like it does for terrain?
Can traffic be setup to only alert the threatening targets?
Will the GDL-88 send audio alerts of threatening traffic directly to my audio panel or does it require other software to do it such as foreflight (which I don't have and will not use)?

Last edited:
I've seen the 430W showing traffic on the map page, but the scaling becomes important.

This was in a 430W with a GTX345 as the traffic source, but I doubt it is different.

And again, THANK YOU, you are testing all the options I've been considering. I owe you dinner sometime.

I was considering this too, but from the Garmin description it appears to provide only a limited traffic display (max 8 targets) on the GNS devices?

What transponder are you using with it?

I was considering this too, but from the Garmin description it appears to provide only a limited traffic display (max 8 targets) on the GNS devices?

What transponder are you using with it?
Yes, I read the limit on the traffic also.
Sorry, gtx327, I will update the 1st post.

FS210 and an iPad for a display will be a lot better than a 430 w

Wire GDL88 to unswitched audio on the audio panel

I told some people that the GNS showed only 8 targets and that was enough since I can only avoid one at time. They didn't quite grasp what I was saying.

iJunk with forefinger gives 301 targets. WOW... see that, there's a plane at FL32 and 10mi. Look how fast he's going. Kool. Meanwhile down here at 3500' there are two planes in the pattern you can't see unless you look out the window.

Sheesh.

I told some people that the GNS showed only 8 targets and that was enough since I can only avoid one at time. They didn't quite grasp what I was saying.

iJunk with forefinger gives 301 targets. WOW... see that, there's a plane at FL32 and 10mi. Look how fast he's going. Kool. Meanwhile down here at 3500' there are two planes in the pattern you can't see unless you look out the window.

Sheesh.

How does it select which targets for the GNS display? Lateral proximity? Vertical separation? Conflicting track? Some combination?

Now that's a great question. I think it is "closest" but you've defined many variables for that. I'm gonna ask the garmin guys and report back.

FS210 and an iPad for a display will be a lot better than a 430 w

Wire GDL88 to unswitched audio on the audio panel
Not opposed to a 210, but do not have, nor will I buy, an I-thing.

Will look into wiring GDL88 to audio panel, thanks.

Back