Adjusting the seat

LongRoadBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jacker
How do you all adjust the pilot seat on club airplanes, rentals where it is most likely being adjusted a good deal by other pilots?

I was thinking that specially while learning, the sight pictures etc. being consistent would be a very good thing. Specially the height adjustment would be important.

But also, I seem to tend to want to crowd the panel, move the seat a good deal forward. I got thinking that I haven’t checked really that I’m not in the way of back pressure all the way (but I’m not thinking that comes up a lot?) on the yoke, but if I did need it...maybe a good idea to be sure I can.

Any of you have a set way of adjusting, arms length or definite height...and how do you measure that if so?

Or is it really not that important?

I adjust during flight. I like to be slit up two notches during landing and takeoff just so I can get some more Authority on the rudder pedals and in cruise I slide it all the way back. I don't have a vertical seat adjustment just horizontal.

Diamond DA40. Problem solved.

I think you learn how to adjust the seat on year eight of primary training.

T

R

O

L

L

I put the seat all the way back, then sit in it, and slide forward until my legs have the extension needed for full authority of the rudder pedals. Not an inch closer. Personal preference.

I leave the height wherever it is unless it’s bad enough to bother me. If you’re worried about consistency, lower it all the way, then count how many cranks up to get what you want. I adjust the height on a Cessna seat probably no more than three times per thousand flights.

Get in, sit down, and think for a second. Am I too high or too low? Can I see more of the cowling than I could the last time I flew? If so, you’re too high and need to dial the seat down a few notches.

After this, if you say to yourself, ‘man, I can barely see over the glareshield’, then you’re too low and need to raise the seat height. Go up just a smidgeon and BAM! you’re now at the perfect seat position...so long as your feet can reach the rudder pedals and the yoke doesn’t hit your knees when you move it about.

Here's what I do for the 172:
1) Pull seat full forward.
2) Do the "butt-wiggle" to make sure that it's locked full forward
3) Look for my favorite cushion, that I need to put behind my back in addition, in order to get full deflection on the rudders
4) Fail to find the cushion
5) Call husband and say "where the hell is my cushion?"
6) Roll eyes as he explains that he took it out of the plane, for weight. (It weighs, like, ounces!)
7) Grab nearest jacket
8) Fold and stuff jacket awkwardly behind my back until I can reach the *****ing rudders
9) [for left seat only] Lower the seat until reaching the rudder pedals no longer makes the front edge of the seat dig into my thigh
10) Curse tall people
11) Curse Cessna Aircraft Corporation for assuming in the 1970's that all pilots are six foot tall men
12) Go fly!

The husband has, thankfully, been learning, and more recently I've been able to skip steps 4-8.
Overall, if I use "rudder comfort" as the yardstick for where to put things, "sight picture" generally follows.
I'm 5'5".

All the way back and slammed...no foggles no problem 76E6F5F7-E21F-4E73-A46F-CCA45ED95F01.jpeg

Another trick I never really thought about, but is something I do. If the airplane has an old school shoulder harness that you must adjust - I get the shoulder harness snug then scoot my seat forward a notch to tighten it up further.

After takeoff, I move it a notch back to loosen it a bit, then a notch forward before landing.

I like a tight shoulder harness. Too many pilots have been killed from smashing their head into the panel or yoke. A properly adjusted shoulder harness would have saved them.

I despise flying in airplanes without shoulder harnesses. I’ve certainly done plenty of it but given that I’m old, grumpy, and slightly wiser; I probably would decline these days. It’s just ridiculous to not have one.

Tall so put the seat all the way down and count turns to obtain correct seat height, for me 5 turns. For short people I start at the top and count down turns for them to remember. Then put seat all the way back, get in, and adjust forward until I can touch panel with closed fist, maybe add another notch forward to get full rudder deflection.

Edited to change "for" to "full".

Last edited:
If you’re wondering whether or not you have full deflection of the yolk due to your seat position, then you haven’t taken the time to do that part of the checklist that’s commonly referred to as “control is free and correct.”

If you’re not taxiing with full deflection on the elevator then you’re obviously not driving a taildragger, operating off a grass or soft runway, or using all of the things you were taught during primary training.

As close as I can and still get that yoke full aft... I get 4 choices of holes before ya fly in the old 140... been thinking about putting seat all the way back and getting a memory foam pillow to push me up, so passenger is further back- making a lil more room in the lil cockpit...

Cessna 182:
1.) Seat all the way back, seatbelt all the way loose.
2.) If my wife last flew, adjust vertical all the way down and then back up 1 and half turns.
3.) Hop in and (exactly like @455 Bravo Uniform) slide forward until knees almost hit (about 3" away)
4.) Tighten seat belt
5.) Slide back once and awhile during long cross country.

BTW @LongRoadBob - how close are you to finishing up?

Cessna 182:
1.) Seat all the way back, seatbelt all the way loose.
2.) If my wife last flew, adjust vertical all the way down and then back up 1 and half turns.
3.) Hop in and (exactly like @455 Bravo Uniform) slide forward until knees almost hit (about 3" away)
4.) Tighten seat belt
5.) Slide back once and awhile during long cross country.

BTW @LongRoadBob - how close are you to finishing up?

Hey, thanks, and to all.
I’m not close at all to finishing. Have had one helluva time getting flight time.
It has literally been months, have booked, and booked several dozen flights. We have had a lot of terrible flying weather, but also ONE trainer, which also has been in and out of service. And last but not least, when I finally almost get to fly, my instructor has been unable (out of town, etc) and though he tries to send out request to available CFI’s all are busy and cannot step in. One told me he was having to look out for his students, since they too have been affected by the bad weather. Rather than book for me, he would help his own students.

It is starting to feel hopeless.

There was only one other club that is feasible, I contacted them before Xmas, and tried to see if that could work. They had two C172’s...and claimed a few instructors with one of them full time.long story short, I became wary when a simple flight, to see how the CFI is, and check out the club kept having to be rescheduled.

Turns out both planes are not at the club. One is based at least now further away and the full time guy took a job training CFI’s and so daytime wouldn’t work.
I think there is a shortage of instructors. Waiting now to here about next week do, trying to book sat., sun. And mon. My instructor is away, asked if anyone can step in.

I’ve got until November. Will have to talk with my CFI if I ever get far enough to meeting up at the airport.

It’s extremely frustrating.

What you don't have the orange and white seat adusting balls next to the compass?

You have one trainer and several CFIs, but when you have the one airplane reserved but your instructor can’t make it, the other CFIs are busy with their own students flying what?

You have one trainer and several CFIs, but when you have the one airplane reserved but your instructor can’t make it, the other CFIs are busy with their own students flying what?

That trainer. I cannot book the plane, only CFI’s can. My CFI doesn’t book it since he can’t fly with me, but asks others if they can step in. Instead, sometimes (once I know of) they book it themselves, or also in other cases they really don’t have the time, so it stays unbooked. This was one instructor that mentioned it. I assume this is something else that may be a factor. They are looking out for their students I guess.

This weekends attempt for three different days, so far only one response, and he can’t, has to work.

Also, I can see I was not clear. There is ONE steam gauge C172. That is now my trainer. They have two of a different type, but it’s smaller and with weight issues performance etc, instructor suggested a different airplane. At the time it was a piper warrior, but the club sold that, and we went over to c172. I can’t keep bouncing back and forth on different airplanes so I have one plane I can use. Again, most of the time it has been weather and CFI availability, but sometimes too in ther everyone’s booking this one plane, and it goes into service a good deal. Not ideal.

That trainer. I cannot book the plane, only CFI’s can. My CFI doesn’t book it since he can’t fly with me, but asks others if they can step in. Instead, sometimes (once I know of) they book it themselves, or also in other cases they really don’t have the time, so it stays unbooked. This was one instructor that mentioned it. I assume this is something else that may be a factor. They are looking out for their students I guess.

This weekends attempt for three different days, so far only one response, and he can’t, has to work.
If your club can keep one trainer that busy, it would seem almost stupid not to add another trainer to the inventory. Just say’n...

Hey, thanks, and to all.
I’m not close at all to finishing. Have had one helluva time getting flight time.
It has literally been months, have booked, and booked several dozen flights. We have had a lot of terrible flying weather, but also ONE trainer, which also has been in and out of service. And last but not least, when I finally almost get to fly, my instructor has been unable (out of town, etc) and though he tries to send out request to available CFI’s all are busy and cannot step in. One told me he was having to look out for his students, since they too have been affected by the bad weather. Rather than book for me, he would help his own students.

It is starting to feel hopeless.

There was only one other club that is feasible, I contacted them before Xmas, and tried to see if that could work. They had two C172’s...and claimed a few instructors with one of them full time.long story short, I became wary when a simple flight, to see how the CFI is, and check out the club kept having to be rescheduled.

Turns out both planes are not at the club. One is based at least now further away and the full time guy took a job training CFI’s and so daytime wouldn’t work.
I think there is a shortage of instructors. Waiting now to here about next week do, trying to book sat., sun. And mon. My instructor is away, asked if anyone can step in.

I’ve got until November. Will have to talk with my CFI if I ever get far enough to meeting up at the airport.

It’s extremely frustrating.
Thanks for answering - you definitely sound frustrated. When you describe it I hear the following:

"There is this brick wall. We only have one sledge hammer. Others usually get a swing before I do. Often the sledge hammer is down for repairs. I can't reserve the sledge hammer, only my instructor can. I am always ready to take a swing but my instructor often isn't. And then there is wx, we don't swing if the wx is bad."

and we're all thinking: "Find another part of the wall where there's a different crew and better tools."

I guess this leaves lots of us with questions like:

1.) How far are you from another training location with more planes and higher dispatch rates?
2.) Realistically, how many total flying weeks per year there are totally shutdown?
3.) Can you obtain a PPL in another country (eg USA or non EU where its cheaper) and would it all still count in Norway?

....my thoughts go like this. From my experiences with my wife's Norwegian guests, those Krone go a damn long ways over here in the US. If the US PPL is recognized over there, is there someway you could fly over here to Southern California or maybe the Phoenix/Tucson area for 2 weeks and just power out and be done? You would be a location with perfect wx. Lots of training schools with several planes and lots of hungry instructors.

Then go back and do whatever is needed to finish up (or cross over) to the Norwegian version?

Thanks for answering - you definitely sound frustrated. When you describe it I hear the following:

"There is this brick wall. We only have one sledge hammer. Others usually get a swing before I do. Often the sledge hammer is down for repairs. I can't reserve the sledge hammer, only my instructor can. I am always ready to take a swing but my instructor often isn't. And then there is wx, we don't swing if the wx is bad."

and we're all thinking: "Find another part of the wall where there's a different crew and better tools."

I guess this leaves lots of us with questions like:

1.) How far are you from another training location with more planes and higher dispatch rates?
2.) Realistically, how many total flying weeks per year there are totally shutdown?
3.) Can you obtain a PPL in another country (eg USA or non EU where its cheaper) and would it all still count in Norway?

....my thoughts go like this. From my experiences with my wife's Norwegian guests, those Krone go a damn long ways over here in the US. If the US PPL is recognized over there, is there someway you could fly over here to Southern California or maybe the Phoenix/Tucson area for 2 weeks and just power out and be done? You would be a location with perfect wx. Lots of training schools with several planes and lots of hungry instructors.

Then go back and do whatever is needed to finish up (or cross over) to the Norwegian version?

As far as I can see, realistically, there was that other flying club but all signs point to that also being a problem, and it even costs more. I’d still do it but there are a number of issues there. Others are so far away o could not fly after work, or if a slot came up, realistically.

Doing USA (I’m American too so it would be visiting home) or the U.K. is an option. As far as I recall the pilots cert. transfers.

The Cessna, other than 50 and 100 hour service also has had a number of problems at the worst possible time. They never break down when the weather is bad anyway, or mixed. Last summer a whole month in service. Cylinder problems. Chronic ones, that also have hit before. And also other issues have grounded it for service.

This year has been a particularly bad one for flying until right around now. All winter, keeping in mind Oslo has much shorter days in winter, has been fog, rain, drizzle, snow, have had many, many cancelled because of that.
That is nobody’s fault, and happens sometimes. But it tends to push all of us to compete then for the few days that are ok.

Sounds like you need to switch CFIs.

He’s a busy pilot, and CFI. The main thing, I think too few planes to train in, too many students, not enough instructors. Not sure where anything stands as far as either CFI that can step in. It’s literally come up around 10-11 times and I’ve never gotten one that could step in and instruct. Actually one time over a year ago it worked out.

So... I see that one of the instructors that was on the CC list from my instructor asking if anyone could take over for him with me, booked the slot for him and his student. I don't know what the policy is on this, am going to try to understand it.

But what chafes a bit more, the same instructor and same student are already also booked earlier that same day.
His student gets two bookings, I get none. Obviously he could have stepped in, as he can fly that slot I was asking for.

Does not seem right.

So @LongRoadBob, a few more questions for you:

1.) Have you soloed yet (sorry, I don't recall)?
2.) Do you feel pretty solid on all the written test material?

...if so, there is a place near Duluth (Minnesota) where I believe you could knock out an accelerated PPL. A friend of mine at our local airport finished his PPL up there....5 days! He had already completed his solo and written. Whats nice about operations like these is they have the planes and a DPE that is immediately available. And they seem to give priority to students in the order they have booked so once you start you shouldn't be bumped. The only potential downside is wx so just pick late summer or early fall.

So can you afford to take off 2 weeks and travel over here? Hop on Iceland Air to MSP. I'd pick you up at the airport and drive or fly you up there. The hotels should be cheap. You would probably fly at least 2 flights a day. Study at night and knock out the written. I am sure it would cost over US$5000 and less than US$10,000. You would be done. Might even break even on cost given the strength of the Krone to dollar.

There must be something similar down in Arizona or California. I would think a AZ solution would have the cheapest boarding costs and best weather.

If you can afford it, I suppose the "fly in the ointment" is being a international student. I'm not sure how long that takes and when you need to be physically present for the process? If you already have an US Passport then disregard.

So @LongRoadBob, a few more questions for you:

1.) Have you soloed yet (sorry, I don't recall)?
2.) Do you feel pretty solid on all the written test material?

...if so, there is a place near Duluth (Minnesota) where I believe you could knock out an accelerated PPL. A friend of mine at our local airport finished his PPL up there....5 days! He had already completed his solo and written. Whats nice about operations like these is they have the planes and a DPE that is immediately available. And they seem to give priority to students in the order they have booked so once you start you shouldn't be bumped. The only potential downside is wx so just pick late summer or early fall.

So can you afford to take off 2 weeks and travel over here? Hop on Iceland Air to MSP. I'd pick you up at the airport and drive or fly you up there. The hotels should be cheap. You would probably fly at least 2 flights a day. Study at night and knock out the written. I am sure it would cost over US$5000 and less than US$10,000. You would be done. Might even break even on cost given the strength of the Krone to dollar.

There must be something similar down in Arizona or California. I would think a AZ solution would have the cheapest boarding costs and best weather.

If you can afford it, I suppose the "fly in the ointment" is being a international student. I'm not sure how long that takes and when you need to be physically present for the process? If you already have an US Passport then disregard.

Hey, that is very generous of you to offer.
I do have a US passport, I'm still a US citizen, and not Norwegian.

I'll have to see about that. It is looking like that, or the UK. The benefit with the UK would be that it is also EASA, so basically (not totally but very close) same regs, etc.

I have NOT soloed yet. I have passed the exams (in Norwegian) already. I need a good number of hours still.
So far I have been dumb enough to allow myself to be moved from plane to plane. It's been starts and stops all the way with instructors, airplane models, etc. and I was sick a while after I passed the exams.

It's definitely something I am going to consider. Only other thing though, how does MED work? I am current on it, but I'm 62 (no real health issues) and have no idea if the MED from Norway is accepted in the US. Which would mean I would have to get there or UK) and immediately get a flight doctor to take me and hopefully pass.

I'm still looking back into one other option here, but as you say, the costs here are much more. I would do best to evaluate this soon and decide.

Very kind of you with the offer! I also grew up in Chicago, but spent summers at my granfathers cabin on Lake Superior on the WI, side, we had lots of relatives in Duluth too. I love that part of the midwest, so it would be kind of nice to visit there again!

Hey, that is very generous of you to offer.
I do have a US passport, I'm still a US citizen, and not Norwegian.

I'll have to see about that. It is looking like that, or the UK. The benefit with the UK would be that it is also EASA, so basically (not totally but very close) same regs, etc.

I have NOT soloed yet. I have passed the exams (in Norwegian) already. I need a good number of hours still.
So far I have been dumb enough to allow myself to be moved from plane to plane. It's been starts and stops all the way with instructors, airplane models, etc. and I was sick a while after I passed the exams.

It's definitely something I am going to consider. Only other thing though, how does MED work? I am current on it, but I'm 62 (no real health issues) and have no idea if the MED from Norway is accepted in the US. Which would mean I would have to get there or UK) and immediately get a flight doctor to take me and hopefully pass.

I'm still looking back into one other option here, but as you say, the costs here are much more. I would do best to evaluate this soon and decide.

Very kind of you with the offer! I also grew up in Chicago, but spent summers at my granfathers cabin on Lake Superior on the WI, side, we had lots of relatives in Duluth too. I love that part of the midwest, so it would be kind of nice to visit there again!

You know...with you not needing any special TSA stuff and being from the area its almost as if it was meant to be :)

I hope someone else can chime in regarding Medical???

I would think since you are a US Citizen but have never had a Medical you would simply get a USA 3rd Class medical over here. There is a fantastic AME down here in the Twin Cities and you could probably have that all scheduled right after you arrive. As long as you are not on any banned medications and can fill in your entire medical history (so many posts here to guide you) you should be just fine. A 3rd class medical takes about 30 minutes. Its pretty simple. I am sure there is probably a good AME up in the Duluth area as well.

If you get serious about this approach, please start another thread specifically regarding your medical so the right people see it. Ideally you would just list everything you have been hospitalized for and all medications you are on or have had prescribed in the past. If that is clean you should have no issues.

The only other issue that comes to mind is that you have been living abroad and I am not sure if there is any TSA requirements there...even though you are a US Citizen.

11) Curse Cessna Aircraft Corporation for assuming in the 1970's that all pilots are six foot tall men
12) Go fly!

Overall, if I use "rudder comfort" as the yardstick for where to put things, "sight picture" generally follows.
I'm 5'5".

I'm a 5'9" male and I curse Cessna and Piper for thinking all pilots in the 1970's were 6'0" tall men, especially if I'm sitting right seat where at least Piper seems to have decided that though they're building trainers and placing controls on both sides, the person in the right seat doesn't need to be able to adjust their seat to see... I'm statistically taller than the average male was in 1970 so wth? I have a seat cushion and some towels to give me that extra boost.

I find the rudder comfort yardstick generally works well for finding the spot with the right sight picture but it tends to be a bit of a crapshoot whether the seat is actually at the right height.

I don't know if your medical would transfer/be accepted in the US but I would recommend looking into BasicMed since you are based internationally and intend to return after obtaining your certificate.

I'm not a big fan of BasicMED personally, I agree with the thought behind it (reducing restrictions to flight) but too many use it to fly unmonitored with otherwise disqualifying conditions so I'm not fully read up on the exact details of BasicMED but I dont see any major reason why a visit to and letter from your primary care physician in Norway would be any less valid than one from a primary care physician in the US though there may be restrictions just for consistency purposes so that there isn't a list of "countries with acceptable medical training/practice" and countries without as not all doctors can have their credentials transferred internationally. I doubt Norway would be one of those countries if there is a separation.

That being said, if you dont have any real health issues, going to an AME for a 3rd class medical might not be a bad option either, its really not much more than a physical with medical history. Just be sure to review any medications you are on and look through the 3rd Class medical requirements to confirm you dont have or take anything disqualifying.

Sounds like you need to switch CFIs.
Or flight schools! I’d get frustrated if I couldn’t reserve a plane on my own, but rather had to wait for the CFI’s to coordinate everything.

I can't imagine he would be able to get a PPL over here (in the USA) without first having had a valid FAA 3rd class medical (or better) from a AME. So I would think the BasicMed thing is just not an option for him...at least not this first time around?

I also think its best to just do 3rd Class medicals...until you can't and then cross over to BasicMed. A 3rd class medical is probably about the same cost as a Physical so its not really a financial issue.

It seems like I ought to at least check out the requirements, logistics, and cost as well as a reasonable timeframe.

Sinistar, could you pm me the name of that school you mentioned?
I can contact some, and in the U.K. also, to find out how it all would work.

If you’re worried about consistency, lower it all the way, then count how many cranks up to get what you want. I adjust the height on a Cessna seat probably no more than three times per thousand flights.

My last two planes didn't have a vertical seat adjustment ... but during training they did, and four fingers between your head and the roof worked pretty well preventing seeing stars in heavy TB if belts were tight.

Back