ADF/NDB on PP Written

obelix

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
obelix
Can someone confirm that the ADF/NDB questions are removed off the private pilot written (not IR).. I keep reading some conflicting posts.. Maybe I'm just confused.

I just took my private pilot written two weeks ago, there were no ADF/NDB questions

I took my private pilot written 2 days ago and no ADF/NDB questions for me either.
I bought a plotter/E6B just for the written test, and didn't use it either. From what I've heard, in the "real world", most pilots don't actually use E6B/plotter, but use ipad/calculator/modern electronics for more precise planning. Is that right? When was the last time you guys used a E6B and/or plotter?

In spirit with the written.. What is the best site out there for those who have taken the written that has questions closest relevant to it?

I took my private pilot written 2 days ago and no ADF/NDB questions for me either.
I bought a plotter/E6B just for the written test, and didn't use it either. From what I've heard, in the "real world", most pilots don't actually use E6B/plotter, but use ipad/calculator/modern electronics for more precise planning. Is that right? When was the last time you guys used a E6B and/or plotter?

As a student pilot in 1993. Then again while working as a flight instructor....to teach students how to use it.

In spirit with the written.. What is the best site out there for those who have taken the written that has questions closest relevant to it?

I used Sportys study buddy. I believe it's free online, I used the app on iPad for something like $10.

I just took my Instrument written and I don't remember seeing any ADF or NDB questions on there either, but I could just have a crap memory. I know there were a ton in my prep course, but don't think there were any on the written. FWIW I used the King Schools online prep and got a 93% without really studying very hard. I studied way harder on the PPL written and got a lower score.

No clue if this means anything or not, but I took my AGI last October and there were plenty if ADF/NDB questions. I know it's not a private or IR/ test , but if it doesn't pertain to students why would it be on the instructor test??

I used Gleim's test prep book (they also have an online course, for more $). A lot of the questions I saw on the actual written were in the Gleim book, verbatim, so that helped a lot. Also used ASA prepware online practice tests, and watched the Kings School DVDs; they were useful, but not as useful as Gleim's.

No clue if this means anything or not, but I took my AGI last October and there were plenty if ADF/NDB questions. I know it's not a private or IR/ test , but if it doesn't pertain to students why would it be on the instructor test??

What did you use for your AGI? I've been thinking of doing that for giggles.

You can also use the quizzing engine at Gold Seal for free. All current questions divided into 25 topical sections.

On the written :wink2:

For E6B I usually use the Sporty's iPhone app which is just faster and more accurate... but no iPhones allowed in the testing room. You can use an electronic E6B (and the Sporty's app is essentially just that) but given that the iPhone can fully replicate this functionality and then some I didn't see the need of spending extra $$$ on something like that just to use it on one test.

I think the mechanical E6B's are neat given that it all actually works... but from a practical standpoint for 'real world' flying I know how to use it and it's in my flight bag but I use electronic calculations now.

Last edited:
What did you use for your AGI? I've been thinking of doing that for giggles.
I used the Gleim (Gliem?) on line thing. Somehow I ended up with an entire CFI kit complete with books and on line access. I certainly didn't need or want all that but I just kept it anyway.
If I had to do it over, I would just get the red book.

From what I've heard, in the "real world", most pilots don't actually use E6B/plotter, but use ipad/calculator/modern electronics for more precise planning. Is that right? When was the last time you guys used a E6B and/or plotter?

Most pilots? Yes.
More precise (repeatable)? No.
More accurate? No.

I carried a CR-5 in my pocket for 25 years. It was faster than an electronic calculator, I could consistently plan flights to within 3 minutes of actual flight time (something I could never accomplish with the electronic tools available), and could easily make inflight calculations that nobody could figure out HOW to make using electronic tools.

I put it away 3 years ago when I started instructing in the sim.

I would agree that most pilots use Foreflight/an Ipad for their planning. It doesn't make it more precise. I've plotted out courses that were pretty close to the actual flight. The last time I used a plotter was the refamiliarize myself while studying for my CFI practical.

I just took my Instrument written and I don't remember seeing any ADF or NDB questions on there either, but I could just have a crap memory. I know there were a ton in my prep course, but don't think there were any on the written. FWIW I used the King Schools online prep and got a 93% without really studying very hard. I studied way harder on the PPL written and got a lower score.

I just took mine a month ago. I didn't get any NDB/ADF questions either.

I also did much better on the IFR vs. the PPL and to me the IFR felt easier. 98 on the IFR, 85 on the PPL.

Anthony, what did you use for practice tests?

I used the Gleim (Gliem?) on line thing. Somehow I ended up with an entire CFI kit complete with books and on line access. I certainly didn't need or want all that but I just kept it anyway.
If I had to do it over, I would just get the red book.

Do you happen to have a link for the "red book"? I've also been thinking about getting that cert, but it's a bit difficult to find the materials.

Back