Adel clamps

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
I am trying to come to grips with what is required in an engine compartment. Specifically, I need to secure spark plug wires. Since it is in a high heat area, is there a specific clamp that is required? Are they color coded? Looking in the Spruce catalog, it appears that I need to use either WH or WCH clamps which are white. The DG or WDG clamps are black. They don’t specify what the temp ratings are on each.

Also, what is the difference between WH and WCH? And are there any other options for securing plug wires?

what is the difference between WH and WCH?
The W means there is a rubber wedge extension on the "cushion." H is a silicon cushion and CH is silicon plus S/S band. While each OEM has there own requirements, in general, for engine adels its recommended to have a steel band and silicon cushion due to the heat.

The W means there is a rubber wedge extension on the "cushion." H is a silicon cushion and CH is silicon plus S/S band. While each OEM has there own requirements, in general, for engine adels it’s recommended to have a steel band and silicon cushion due to the heat.
Thanks. That is helpful.

I don’t have the tool but definitely can see how it would be useful. There is one clamp that takes 2 of us to get on.

I recently bought this adel clamp tool from Spruce. Highly recommended. I can't begin to tell you how much easier it makes working with adel clamps.

View attachment 122231
For the tough ones, I run the awl through the holes, then wrap safety wire around the tabs on the clamps. Slow, but faster than any of my other attempts to master the tough ones.

I took an old chip chaser and cut the handle off. Then I cut a v-groove into one end. It holds the screw in place with the clamp snugged up giving me free hands to start the nut.

Attachments

• View recent photos.png
    View recent photos.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
I took an old chip chaser and cut the handle off. Then I cut a v-groove into one end. It holds the screw in place with the clamp snugged up giving me free hands to start the nut.

A mechanic friend I know suggested doing something similar with an old hacksaw blade.

There are a number of tricks to installing adel clamps. After DIYing different types of pliers and holders I found if you tweak the clamp to better align the holes before installing, a good pair of needle nose pliers with one jaw on the fastner and other one on the opposite band tab worked well. Now for the ones you need to install lying upside down in the cockpit while looking in a mirror tend to need a little more finesse.

There are a number of tricks to installing adel clamps. After DIYing different types of pliers and holders I found if you tweak the clamp to better align the holes before installing, a good pair of needle nose pliers with one jaw on the fastner and other one on the opposite band tab worked well. Now for the ones you need to install lying upside down in the cockpit while looking in a mirror tend to need a little more finesse.
Hmm, how about a set of needle nose pliers with a quarter inch cut off of one of the jaws, so the longer jaw holds the fastener in place and the shorter jaw holds the tab?

Hmm, how about a set of needle nose pliers with a quarter inch cut off of one of the jaws, so the longer jaw holds the fastener in place and the shorter jaw holds the tab?
I did that to a pair of duck bills once, but I found keeping the needle nose stock that I used exclusively for adels I had the most flexibility especially when trying to stack 3+ adels on one bolt or screw. Helicopters tend to use a lot of adels in some very inconvenient places.

Slick makes ignition harness clamps. They come in 2 and 1 wire versions. 4 of each makes for a nice neat installation. Kinda silly to pay 80 bucks for clamps, but if you are overly fussy like me, hard to resist.

Last edited:
Adel clamps are the spawn of satan...

Awl and medical-type locking forceps. Get some straight and some angled. That big cable clamp pliers are not going to fit in most areas, or in the angle required, where the d*** things are located.

A nut driver can help get the nuts on while the forceps hold the clamps.

Also second the safety wire solution. It helps in some locations.

And in some locations nothing helps but screaming and swearing.

Cushions - The black ones offgas when heated and stain the wires with black gunk. The aluminum bands are way more rigid than necessary IMHO.1699618167611.png

The blue ones reportedly get sticky. That from a 15-year veteran full time turbine guy that hates them.

I've had white silicone ones, that came with an ignition harness, in there for 10+ years and they are still fine. The stainless-steel bands are easier to work with too IMHO.

Yes they suck, I assemble them with one hand and a hook and don't get too frustrated. I use the saftey wire trick a lot. Also, why not use a standard screw that is fully threaded? No reason not to use a little longer fastener if needed.

Last edited:
I recently bought this adel clamp tool from Spruce. Highly recommended. I can't begin to tell you how much easier it makes working with adel clamps.

View attachment 122231
The important thing when using this is to keep the awl sharp to help it penetrate your finger.

Blue vs white silicone pertains to fluid resistance. Blue is resistant to petroleum products but not phosphate esters. White is resistant to phosphate esters but not petroleum. So sayeth the Spruce.

Back