Additional Landing Light for Cessna 182

LesGawlik

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Good Guy
Is it practical to add another landing/taxi light combination on the starboard wing of a Cessna 182E? I added very bright LED lights in both positions on the port side. They're good, but making a right hand turn on a dark taxiway at night leaves something to be desired.

I did it on my Sundowner. I collected the intercostal and all the parts over a period of years, and one day started cutting. I would imagine the 182 would be easier in terms of collecting parts, etc.

Has anyone done that? I know I have other options, like changing the cowl to one that has the lights in the cowl, or getting wing tips that have positions for lights. I think the latter is out of the question because I have only a few inches of clearance to get in my hangar, and I don't have any room to spare.

Has anyone done that?
I haven't seen any R/H wing mounted lights but have seen added under wing lights used for taxi on a Cessna. They added an inspection panel opening near wing tip but instead mounted taxi lights to both sides. I believe it was as a minor alteration as well. Perhaps discuss with your APIA to see what they're open too. Would also discuss adding the light set up to the right wing as a minor since there is a precedent on the left wing. But keep in mind you'll need to see if your electrical system can handle the increased load per the rules.

I installed the “ mirror image” on the starboard wing of a 66 172 along with a
flasher system. Tower would query owner at night; “Say again type aircraft?”
His wife would light smudge pots at their grass strip. Parts Manual will help.
Field Approval.

Last edited:
Thank you. I figured it has to be possible. I did it on my Sundowner, and that's much more difficult. The parts are now impossible to find, and you can't run wires through the wings without de-riveting the flap channel or drilling multiple inspection holes. I have wig wag HID lights in the tips (although it is impossible to fish wires through the wings, Beech prewired all airframes for lights on the starboard side). My AO is usually hazy and humid, with a fair amount of high speed traffic, so I put a premium of staying visible.

I can relate to your thoughts.
The school 172s were the same way. Only they had dulled plastic lens with reg lights in them. The few times I taxied at night I could not see much especially turning like you said. I had to have the tower help me, embarrassing.

My 172n has dual lights in the cowl and I can see fine with them.
I wondered why they put them in the wing? Does anyone know?

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
My bro removed the landing light from the cowl due to poor lamp life. I believe
it had the 1 large lamp configuration. The former location is now glassed over and
there are the 2 smaller ( 4509?) lamps in the spot typically used by Cessna.

Does the prop have any effect on the brilliance of the light? IE, are the lumens effectively reduced?

Always hated the half-way-out-on-one-wing landing light setup on some 172/182

Does the prop have any effect on the brilliance of the light? IE, are the lumens effectively reduced?

Always hated the half-way-out-on-one-wing landing light setup on some 172/182

Mine blinks on and off each time the propeller passes so I don’t think it effects the light output?

My original landing light burned out within the first month of flying the plane. I was in my buddies hangar that I bought the plane from. He had old bulbs laying all over from the numerous planes he had owned. I asked if any were good since I needed one. He said nope he didn’t think any were good. He didn’t like throwing anything away.
This was in 2018, I splurged and bought whelen LEDs for my taxi and landing light in my cowl after seeing so many dead bulbs in my buddies hangar.
1000 hrs later both are still working and I never turn the taxi light off for safety.
I’d buy em again if they burned out tomorrow. I fly often at night when the air is calm and cool.

Last edited:
Back