Adding bulk time entries in paper logbook

josephades

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ja
Hey guys

I want to officially transition to an electronic logbook instead of writing in my time twice

Is there anything against putting in bulk time entries in my paper logbook when I decide to fill it in once in a blue moon? For example, "past 8 months - 130 landings, 150 hrs total time, 20 hours night, etc" or do I need to enter each flight line by line?

I am thinking to use the paper just for backup and also if I ever take any check rides later on in the future, I will put all my "dual received" line by line. I just find no use to put my personal flights line by line.

Thanks

the only thing that has to be logged at all is flights to show currency. however, if you are using the time to show compliance with the requirements for a rating or certificate, the time must be logged as per far 61.51:
(1) General—

(i) Date.

(ii) Total flight time or lesson time.

(iii) Location where the aircraft departed and arrived, or for lessons in a flight simulator or flight training device, the location where the lesson occurred.

(iv) Type and identification of aircraft, flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device, as appropriate.

(v) The name of a safety pilot, if required by §91.109 of this chapter.

(2) Type of pilot experience or training—

(i) Solo.

(ii) Pilot in command.

(iii) Second in command.

(iv) Flight and ground training received from an authorized instructor.

(v) Training received in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device from an authorized instructor.

(3) Conditions of flight—

(i) Day or night.

(ii) Actual instrument.

(iii) Simulated instrument conditions in flight, a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device.

(iv) Use of night vision goggles in an aircraft in flight, in a flight simulator, or in a flight training device.

bob

There is no rule against it, but if it is to be a backup to an electronic form, it will be most effective as such if it is a verbatim copy.

just make sure that you can produce a hardcopy of line for line to support any future certificates you may want to get. IE if you wish to get an ATP you need to show 1500hrs total time logged as per 61.51. I have seen 121 guys get in trouble when going for an ATP because they logged their time by sequence or weekly and could not show the 1500 hr logged iaw 61.51.

bob

For those using conpletely electronic logbooks, how do you handle CFI entries?

just make sure that you can produce a hardcopy of line for line to support any future certificates you may want to get. IE if you wish to get an ATP you need to show 1500hrs total time logged as per 61.51. I have seen 121 guys get in trouble when going for an ATP because they logged their time by sequence or weekly and could not show the 1500 hr logged iaw 61.51.

bob

Guess it's not going to be worth it to enter them in bulk in that case

Regarding CFI entries, there is an area for a CFI to sign on the touchscreen. My idea was to keep anything that needed to be signed on paper and do everything else electronically

I'd just go line by line and copy whatever is in your hardcopy logbook.

Ok, what am I missing here? Why not just make a printout from the electronic logbook?

eta: I use an old school written logbook and duplicate my entries in an excel spreadsheet.

Just tally it up and forward the times to the log, no need to re make every entry

Seems like it'd be a lot simpler to just print out the electronic log book, assuming that's even an option.

I don't use any of these electronic log books, but I don't see why one couldn't simply put together a basic excel file with all the required fields, plus whatever you like, and simply hit print when you want a hard copy. From what I read about these various programs they seem far too limiting to me.

For those using conpletely electronic logbooks, how do you handle CFI entries?
It depends. For a person undergoing training for a certificate or rating, I can see the value of electronic logbook that include the ability for instructors to also "join up" (follow verification procedures) to make endorsements. No so much for pilots whose endorsements are mostly for recurrent and transition training - the odd checkout, flight reviews, a couple of hours for complex endorsements, etc.

The latter fits me as a pilot. So my solution is that I still maintain my paper logbook, but only record endorsements it it. My eLog is primary, my paper is for endorsement verification.

That may hep answer the OP a little too. I dunno.

Seems like it'd be a lot simpler to just print out the electronic log book, assuming that's even an option.

I don't use any of these electronic log books, but I don't see why one couldn't simply put together a basic excel file with all the required fields, plus whatever you like, and simply hit print when you want a hard copy. From what I read about these various programs they seem far too limiting to me.
Interesting. Most folks, including me - I started going electronic more than 20 years ago - go to an eLog for the expanded functionality they provide over paper.

Maybe expanded over paper, but it seems more limiting than a simple computer spreadsheet.

Back