adding additional USB charging ports in a cessna?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I was thinking it would be nice to have something bolted in with additional charging ports. Is there anything like this for aircraft?

Any better ideas?

Was thinking it would be nice to plug in the cell phone, gps, ipad etc via 1 USB hub.

http://store.mp3car.com/DC_Powered_4_Port_USB_Hub_CNX_P5USB_12v_and_24v_p/adt-015.htm

Carnetix_CNX-P5USB_DC-Powered_4-Port_USB_Hub_main_large.jpg

I've got a cigarette lighter plug thingy from wall mart that gives me like 4 USB ports.

I've got a cigarette lighter plug thingy from wall mart that gives me like 4 USB ports.

I've seen them, but was looking for something a bit more integrated. Which one do you use? will it charge 2+ ipads? I tried a couple cigarette adapters and found they would only charge 1 ipad and the second you hook another up neither gets enough amps to charge.

I use the two way lighter adapter,can power both the I pad and my garmin 496. Or the IPad and the stratus.

I was thinking it would be nice to have something bolted in with additional charging ports. Is there anything like this for aircraft?

Just remember that Apple bastardized the USB standard and requires 2.1 amps at 5 volts at the USB port to charge an Ipad. The Iphones don't require anything more than a standard USB port, only the Ipad is different.

Jim

I've seen them, but was looking for something a bit more integrated. Which one do you use? will it charge 2+ ipads? I tried a couple cigarette adapters and found they would only charge 1 ipad and the second you hook another up neither gets enough amps to charge.

Dunno...we use it to drive the iPad and the Zaon XRX and also charge my iPhone. Seems to work OK for that.

It's either this one or one like it: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Custom-Accessories-IXT-Dual-12-Volt-and-USB-Travel-Adapter/16386500

You wanna do it right and "approved" for a panel mount?...prepare to open your wallet!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/lonestarchargekit.php?clickkey=6431

I looked into this quite a bit when I purchased my 182. I run Ipad, Iphone, and Stratus. If you don't have one, it is cheaper to have a cigarette lighter installed and just use a car charger USB adapter.

What you need to watch out for is that devices like the Ipad and Stratus need 2.1 amp outlets, many of the dual and multi charger will have only one 2.1A and the rest are all only 1.0A or 1.2A.

Here is the dual 2.1A that I found and use:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10826&cs_id=1082603&p_id=10239&seq=1&format=2

If you are using a cig lighter port, you also need to make sure that you are not exceeding you max amps for that port with all of your USB devices.

Knowing I was gonna have three devices, originally I was gonna do a panel mount...then rather than pay through the nose I was just gonna add a second cigarette lighter power port as my 12v port was only on a 5A breaker...but in reality the one port with the dual 2.1A USB outlets has been more than enough. I keep the Ipad and Stratus plugged in and neatly ran the cables under the dash and to the devices. If I need to charge my phone or a passenger needs power both of the primary devices have hours of battery life and I can unplug then can charge another device if needed for a while. After a few months of flying now don't even need bother with the second 12v cig port.

Last edited:
Minor nitpick - the iPad does not "require" a 2.1A USB source. It will charge, slowly, when connected to a 1A source, though will not indicate "charging" on the screen. However, it still is slowly charging. Note, however, that if you're running a power-intensive app (like the various moving-map displays), the charge rate may not be enough to overcome the current draw of the app, but it will slow down the battery drain somewhat.

Just remember that Apple bastardized the USB standard and requires 2.1 amps at 5 volts at the USB port to charge an Ipad. The Iphones don't require anything more than a standard USB port, only the Ipad is different.

Jim

It's not just Apple. The data lines on the cable have to be shorted for devices that want more amps to be happy.

My Android tablets (HP Touchpad) and phones know when they aren't plugged to the factory charger.

There are (more expensive) car and home chargers that have 5 amp power ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Use-Veh...8-7&keywords=multiport+USB+charger+high+power

http://www.amazon.com/Powerful-sepa...&sr=8-57&keywords=port+USB+charger+high+power

Any better ideas?

No BOLTS! You can't permanently attach to the plane without an FAA approval.

Use the lighter plug and foam tape.

No BOLTS! You can't permanently attach to the plane without an FAA approval.

Use the lighter plug and foam tape.

Bet me..it's called a minor modification.

In addition to the above comments regarding actual output of the multi-port usb hubs differing hub to hub, I would add from firsthand experience. I put in a few different chargers for multiple devices in the past. Many of them caused interference in comm radio reception. So, whatever you use, it would be advisable to look for interference on multiple frequencies.

I'll caution that some of the USB 4 plug charging stations made for cars generate a LOT of RF. I put one in the Miata and it was noisy enough that my traffic receiver for the GPS was affected, and FM traffic is VHF, close to nav/ils frequencies.

I found this device (two apple, two "standard" ports) and it works just fine. I hardwired it to a circuit I'd added for other stuff. It charges my nexus 7 (2A), my GoPro, my phone and my gov-blackberry all at once.

"Sure. For an A&P."

What paper work does it require for a simple minor modification?

An A&P certificate as was previously mentioned and a sign off in a log.

Back