AD93-19-04

bluerooster

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
shorty
As far as I can tell, is NA for my carb. But, even if it was applicable, why will the A&P/IA not open it up to make sure it's been complied with? Why does he want to send it off to Kelly, or some such?
I was told that he could take it apart, and confirm the AD compliance, but he could not put it back together. Part 65.87 says different.

As far as I can tell, is NA for my carb. But, even if it was applicable, why will the A&P/IA not open it up to make sure it's been complied with? Why does he want to send it off to Kelly, or some such?
I was told that he could take it apart, and confirm the AD compliance, but he could not put it back together. Part 65.87 says different.
Don't quite follow your post. Was your carb O/H'd between 11/01/91 and 07/15/92? If so, that tells me the plane hasn't flown (legally) in 26 years. As to tear something apart to check, would you want to split the engine case to verify a crank AD?

For the 65.87 question, not enough info. But as an FYI, the items a mechanic can't mess with are usually props and instruments.

Taking a carb apart far enough to look at the floats is so easy I wouldn't be sending it anywhere for that. If it needs new floats then I may consider OH exchange, if I chose that route I'd get an Avstar.

Taking a carb apart far enough to look at the floats is so easy I wouldn't be sending it anywhere for that. If it needs new floats then I may consider OH exchange, if I chose that route I'd get an Avstar.
Yeah it's 4 screws.

It won't need new floats, those will be the brass ones that last a lifetime.

I can't imagine an A&P that is not current in carburetors, but many A&Ps don't want the liability for carbs and mags.

For the 65.87 question, not enough info. But as an FYI, the items a mechanic can't mess with are usually props and instruments.
You should read FAR 65.87

A question of Common sense:

If a 10-91 float has work as advertised since this AD came out, and never gave any problems in all that time, Why would you remove it and replace it with a POS plastic one?

IF ... IF the carb has a problem, we 'd deal with that. But to simply open it up to see, Sorry no!

A short carb story
When I built 34V I put together a auto fuel capable carb, solid in let needle, metal floats, 2 piece Venturi. That carb would run auto fuel with no problem, and burn about 6.5-7.5 GPH.
Greg bought 34V from me, and at his first annual his mechanic didn't want to do the 2 piece Venturi AD and told Greg that his carb was out of date and got Greg to buy a new Kelly rebuilt.
Time goes on, No 34V is back in my care, it fouls plugs, and burns 7.5 to 8.5 GPH. and the paper work says no auto fuel.

I believe Avstar uses their own brass floats. They have PMA for just about everything carb related unless you're looking for Stromberg carbs. Avstar also has a very nice website and pretty easy to find pieces like lock-tab washers, pins, screws, gaskets, just about everything.

http://www.avstardirect.com/av46-a227-venturi/

Tom is right about how badly the 1 piece venture fiasco made good running engines sick. The one-piece venturis installed in the field back in the 1990s ran poorly but I think new one-piece venturis manufactured today solved the issues with the old ones.

I've been really happy with rebuilt Avstar carb, been flying it around 6 years or more now.

Found out what happened. Carb was replaced with an OH'd one in 2013, but for some reason was not documented in the logs.
But I ran accross the 8130-3, and the bill from the mechanic that installed it. I can only guess, (based upon the items listed on the bill) that there may have been an induction system fire, away from home. And the log entry was never pasted in the logs.

Don't quite follow your post. Was your carb O/H'd between 11/01/91 and 07/15/92? If so, that tells me the plane hasn't flown (legally) in 26 years. As to tear something apart to check, would you want to split the engine case to verify a crank AD?
No, it wasn't.

65.87 pretty much 'splains it all.

65.87 pretty much 'splains it all.
It does. But in your original post, "but he could not put it back together," you never mentioned "why" he couldn't put it back together. Thought there may have been another reason outside 65.87 for the answer.

Wow, those Avstar carbs make the Marvel Scheblers look like dinosaurs.
Yeah, we had ours replaced, and it's more "backwards" than a 1960s Honda carburetor. Very, um, agricultural.

Back