Acting/Logging PIC Time

old cfi

Pre-takeoff checklist
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Old CFI
It seems that there are always people questioning acting/logging PIC regardless of how many times its been covered before so when I came across this, I thought maybe, just maybe, it may end the question forever. Yeah, right! It actually is a very good breakdown of different situations which cause the most doubt.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/fY5kNj26Vca1w/

Enjoy.

I'm aware of Ed Fred's chart but where is it in the forum? Can it be pinned so its more easily accessible?

It seems that there are always people questioning acting/logging PIC regardless of how many times its been covered before so when I came across this, I thought maybe, just maybe, it may end the question forever.
The rules have been pretty straightforward for more than 35 years. So I'd say it's not likely.

If I recall correctly, one reason EdFred remove it is that it didn't help stop the questions. If anything, it produced challenges even though it was correct. The only cure for questions about logging is actually understanding the logging rules, not rote answers to logging questions. Good luck getting people to do that.

Folks trying to squeeze every last tenth into the log book.

Folks trying to squeeze every last tenth into the log book.
Well, when you are trying to get the qualifications for whatever operation you are working toward, every tenth counts. Past a certain point, not so much. But starting out, each one is precious.

"Acting" is the key word. As long as you are acting like the pilot then you log the time. Next commercial flight put on some lepals and shoulder boards and you're good to go. You can log the time as needed.

Well, when you are trying to get the qualifications for whatever operation you are working toward, every tenth counts. Past a certain point, not so much. But starting out, each one is precious.
That was sort of my point. Nothing wrong with logging everything you earn. The cost of getting the hours pushes some folks to stretch the regs.

"Acting" is the key word. As long as you are acting like the pilot then you log the time. Next commercial flight put on some lepals and shoulder boards and you're good to go. You can log the time as needed.
:yikes:

Yes, I know it was tongue-in-cheek. But for more than 20 years I've watch logging discussions in which the No 1 problem in understanding the logging rules has been thinking "acting" (of any kind :D) has anything to do with them. :yes:

Back