Acronym Follies

GUMPS is good, but for home I rearrange it and do an UG PMS check.

Honey, you wanna fool around?

Leave me alone!

UG PMS - that's affirmative.
Just Bring her an aspirin. When she asks you, " what that's for?" Tell her, "its for your headache..." When she says "but I don't have a headache" you can say "well, now that we have that settled... :D"

"Men Very Easily Make Jugs Serve Useful Needs, Perhaps".

Mother very easily made a jelly sandwich using no plate.

You get the asteroids that way.

Then of course, there's the mnemonic for mnemonic sake. My example is ANDS for compass acceleration error and a separate one, UNOS for turning errors. Thesingle mnemonic, ANDS works quite well for both types of compass errors. But why have one mnemonic for an instrument when you can have two?

Please share! I see N and S in there but can't figure out the A,D, U and O

Yes, I had to memorize those during PPL training. In nothern hemisphere a magnetic compass turns toward north if the plane accelerates, south if it decelerates, especially if going east or west.

If you turn north, the compass will undershoot, overshoot south.

I suspect with GPS and HI, not so important anymore.

Please share! I see N and S in there but can't figure out the A,D, U and O
The traditional mnemonic is Accelerate North Decelerate South for acceleration errors and Undershoot North Overshoot South for turning errors. UNOS is excess since Anticipate North Delay South works just as well.

Undershoot North Overshoot South for turning errors. UNOS is excess since Anticipate North Delay South works just as well.
I learned it as a bisected circle with LAG in the top half and LEAD in the bottom half. Always wondered what UNOS meant. ;)

I learned it as a bisected circle with LAG in the top half and LEAD in the bottom half. Always wondered what UNOS meant. ;)
Yeah. Lead/lag is a good description of what the compass does and the bisected circle a decent learning tool. But ya gotta have a mnemonic ;) and I think the idea was to have a mnemonic forwhat the pilot needs to fill when making IFR compass turns partial panel.

Gear ( I would look out the window and make sure at least the left main was down)
Unlead (Reach down and make sure the desired tank was selected)
Mixture (Full rich)
Prop (High RPM)

Didn't know a 177RG could burn mogas ;)

CFI: For engine out, remember ABCDE.
Me, puzzled: Does A mean find an Airport?
CFI: No, No. A means Airspeed. Go to the best glide airspeed. B means find Best airport/landing site.
Me: So C means Communicate.
CFI: No, No. C means look for possible Causes for the engine out.
Me: I can't imagine what D means, but I would think E means tune the Emergency frequency 121.5
CFI: No, No. D means Declare an emergency.
Me: All right, what does E stand for?
CFI, looking as if I were as dumb as a tree stump: Prepare for Egress.

That "Who's on First" routine actually did take place during transition training. I did know the best order but could not conceive of how the letters made it easier to remember.

I also think GUMPS is one of the silliest acronyms ever invented: G stand for Fuel, U stands for Landing Gear . . .

Well, that's weird he made you guess.

I don't use many mnemonics, but I do like ABCDE (with the last one being 'Evacuation prep'). That said, I use it as a teaching tool. I obviously only care that my student remembers the steps. I don't care if he or she remembers what each letter stands for.

Gear
Undercarriage
Make sure the gear is down
Put the gear down
Set the gear switch in the down position

Gear down
Undercarriage down.
Make sure the gear is down.
Put the freakin' gear down!
Sh!t!! Is the gear down?!?

Making this mistake once will most likely end my flying . . . .

The traditional mnemonic is Accelerate North Decelerate South for acceleration errors and Undershoot North Overshoot South for turning errors. UNOS is excess since Anticipate North Delay South works just as well.

UNOS works whether you're turning towards or away from north or south. Anticipate North Delay South only works when turning towards.

We have fun in computer science. Long ago a rather odiferous chap named Richard Stallman wrote some editor macros for the then Text Editor and Corrector (TECO) which he just called the Editor Macros (EMACS). Shortly thereafter a different editor on the same platform was named FINE (FINE Is Not Emacs). A later program was called BRIEF (BRIEF is not Even FINE).

The latter two not only reference another acronym but are self-referential.

Sorry, I don't follow. Do you have an example of where it makes a difference?

If you're on north and start a turn, the compass will show a turn in the opposite direction, and then lag behind (undershooting). If you're on south and start a turn, the compass will show a turn in the correct direction but faster than actually occurring (overshooting). UNOS could be used to remember that, but not ANDS.

Do we really need GUMP(S)? Is it that hard to remember four or five words? Why not just teach it as

Fuel
Gear
Mixture
Prop

You can expend the mental effort one time memorizing it that way, or expend the mental effort remembering G is not Gear every single time...

I also object to adding yet another letter for the electric fuel pump. That should be part of F. You're supposed to turn it on before you change tanks anyway.

I think someone perverted the ANDS mnemonic. I was taught ANDS means accelerate north / decelerate south. This isn't turning, it's the response of the compass when changing speed on mostly east and west headings.

If you're on north and start a turn, the compass will show a turn in the opposite direction, and then lag behind (undershooting). If you're on south and start a turn, the compass will show a turn in the correct direction but faster than actually occurring (overshooting). UNOS could be used to remember that, but not ANDS.
I guess we have just different definitions of "undershoot." I'm using Webster's "to shoot short of or below (a target)" And "overshoot" is "to shoot or pass over or beyond so as to miss." Neither what you have left behind. I've never heard of an airplane "undershooting" a runway on departure; only on approach.

Sorry, but the acronyms give me pretty much the same clues to the same thing. YMMV.

I guess we have just different definitions of "undershoot." I'm using Webster's "to shoot short of or below (a target)" And "overshoot" is "to shoot or pass over or beyond so as to miss." Neither what you have left behind. I've never heard of an airplane "undershooting" a runway on departure; only on approach.

Sorry, but the acronyms give me pretty much the same clues to the same thing. YMMV.

Well, maybe I should have started from the beginning, but UNOS can have two meanings. The first one is that if you want to turn toward the north, you roll out early, and if you want to turn toward south, you keep going. The second meaning is the one I wrote above. The problem is that "Anticipate North Delay South" doesn't work the same way.

Yes, the application of the acronym is less than straightforward. My personal preference is always timed turns.

Do we really need GUMP(S)? Is it that hard to remember four or five words? Why not just teach it as

Fuel
Gear
Mixture
Prop

You can expend the mental effort one time memorizing it that way, or expend the mental effort remembering G is not Gear every single time...

I also object to adding yet another letter for the electric fuel pump. That should be part of F. You're supposed to turn it on before you change tanks anyway.
You miss the point ;). A mnemonic is far, far more important that what it is supposed to represent. Why have a simple GUMP check when you can have a CGUMPFSS check or a FORRESTGUMP check or a BLAACGUMP? Yep, those are real. I don't remember the other two but that last one is Brakes, Lights, Auto Pilot, Altimeter, Carb Heat.... And that's what they do with one of the few semi-useful ones (although like you, I don't personally use it)!

Well, maybe I should have started from the beginning, but UNOS can have two meanings. The first one is that if you want to turn toward the north, you roll out early, and if you want to turn toward south, you keep going. The second meaning is the one I wrote above. The problem is that "Anticipate North Delay South" doesn't work the same way.

Yes, the application of the acronym is less than straightforward. My personal preference is always timed turns.
Seems like if it you anticipate the rollout on a northerly heading by rolling out on on an earlier indicated heading and delay the rollout on a southerly heading by rolling out on a later indicated heading, it has the same effect.

Me too.

But, to continue an obviously moronic argument, ANDS can have two meaning too. If you can use a non-dictionary meaning, so can I. :D Anticipate means, "expect it to turn away from you" in addition to "expect it to get there after you do." I know that 'cuz I just said so.

Seems like if it you anticipate the rollout on a northerly heading by rolling out on on an earlier indicated heading and delay the rollout on a southerly heading by rolling out on a later indicated heading, it has the same effect.
Of course it does ;) He's just doing an important thing - defending a mnemonic.

Of course it does ;) He's just doing an important thing - defending a mnemonic.

Not defending, just explaining. And my context for the UNOS was more appropriate to the written test -- the questions like "what happens when you enter a turn while on a northerly heading."

I guess "Anticipate North Delay South" can work for that if you remember that turning away from North is the same thing as turning toward south. Duh, silly me!

Or I could make up a new one. NOSE - North Opposite South Excessive. Sadly, I kind of like that. :eek:

Not defending, just explaining. And my context for the UNOS was more appropriate to the written test -- the questions like "what happens when you enter a turn while on a northerly heading."

I guess "Anticipate North Delay South" can work for that if you remember that turning away from North is the same thing as turning toward south. Duh, silly me!

Or I could make up a new one. NOSE - North Opposite South Excessive. Sadly, I kind of like that. :eek:
Me too :D

And of course 76 posts and no CIGAR TIPS yet. Y'all are slippin'. ;)
We haven't even come close to all the ones for briefing the approach plate that are so much better than the researched briefing strip on both the Jepp and FAA plates.

This is such a fun, worthless topic. Glad to have participated in it :D

We haven't even come close to all the ones for briefing the approach plate that are so much better than the researched briefing strip on both the Jepp and FAA plates.

This is such a fun, worthless topic. Glad to have participated in it :D

ASTCIM? :) Or something like that. LOL.

Back