Abbreviations?

98C5Vette

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LT
Being relatively new to the pilot scene, there are a whole lot of abbreviations that I have no idea what they mean. Has anyone made a list of the meanings?

I did a search and could not find anything.

Start by looking in the FAR's -- check the list of abbreviations in Part 1, Section 1.2. For nonregulatory abbreviations, try the index in the back of your FAR/AIM book -- many abbreviations are cross-referenced to their full names.

Start by looking in the FAR's -- check the list of abbreviations in Part 1, Section 1.2. For nonregulatory abbreviations, try the index in the back of your FAR/AIM book -- many abbreviations are cross-referenced to their full names.

:dunno:Again, more abbreviations!

(Just kidding)

The world is full of TLAs ... :)

And I work for a company where they are a way of life - with no Rosetta Stone! :D

Me too. I was on a call yesterday where they were throwing around TLAs for 30-45 minutes where I didn't understand a thing. It was like being from another planet.

Izzat how mortals hear us when we use computer terms? Poor mortals. :rolleyes:

One source I use is acronymfinder.com

Of course my company has a TAL (technical acronym list):D

I work in the world of PEBCAK errors, using a system that monitors an HLR, a VLR, an MSC and some SGSNs.

Each of our customers have a MSISDN, a SIM card, and at least one IMEI.

Also thrown in the list are: PDA, BSC, SMS, MMS, MO, MT, and a slew of others. I could hold a conversation many times that most people would never understand. lol.

there are still some that LT isn't going to find.

FLIB is one that comes to mind. Plus there are a lot of things that you just have to be around for. For the first two months I was on the board I couldn't figure out, for the life of me, why everybody had signatures that referred to MAG. :D

:dunno:Again, more abbreviations!

(Just kidding)
Not kidding - just wait until you get away from the official and quasi-official acronyms to the huge number of incredibly useless ones that will supposedly make learning to fly easier, but only if you can figure out what junk like

HA! P.S. I’M SANE

means before you crash. :eek:

For weather abbreviations I can help. I've spent a lot of time translating reports. My website displays both translated and non-translated information specifically because you need to know the abbreviations since you'll continue to run into them. See maps.avnwx.com. I've also provided before and after translations of Area Forecasts (FA reports). See maps.avnwx.com/getFA.html, then view the "raw" and the "cooked" versions of the reports.

Finally, I just added 20,000+ airports under maps.avnwx.com/airport/ Here, I've translated most of the abbreviations you'd see at a site like AirNav. So, if you see something on AirNav which is an abbreviation you don't recognize, try viewing the same airport at AvnWx.com -- it's a pretty straight-forward mapping from one to the other (airport "KOAK" is www.AirNav.com/airport/KOAK, and maps.AvnWx.com/airport/KOAK)

I'm adding more to the airports details (I have a Runways update coming soon), but let me know if you see abbreviations there which aren't familiar.

Hope that helps.

-Peter
Aviation Weather
maps.AvnWx.com

The world is full of TLAs ... :)
and ETLAs too!!

BTW I am a former worker on STS PAWTOPS, I spent many a day over in the SMAB in the SPIF corner of the ITL area upgrading old MOCS gear. I used to get into the LCC too and the RSS on occasion as well. IT was lots fo fun working on the CCAFS side of the facility, lost of history there. :D:D

Back