Abandoned airplanes

I want to acquire an abandoned plane to stick in my yard for yard art. Or maybe a wind direction indicator.

I want to acquire an abandoned plane to stick in my yard for yard art. Or maybe a wind direction indicator.

crashed-airplane-as-a-joke-in-a-residential-yard-afc8dr.jpg

Wind indicator:

INEVAplanes_mobley2.jpg

Nose into the ground looks great.!!! Especially since I live pretty close to the traffic pattern....that should draw a little attention...:lol::lol::lol:

call your salvage yard
Google " aircraft salvage yards" see who is closest.

More often than not, an airport hangar is the cheapest storage a person can rent and that's because the rates are artificially low so to encourage active pilots to use the airport.
Where do you live? Hangars here are impossible to get: wait lists of 6+ years. Some have even stopped taking names for the wait list. And rents keep going up.

Can you keep oxygen in the hangar?

I guess you mean oxygen for pilot and passengers, yes. In bottles though, I tried storing it in boxes and it didn't work out so well..... :confused:;)

edit: I was talking about the hangers at my local airport, other locations may be different.

Technically, oxygen is neither flammable nor explosive.

Interesting . . . Here's the MSDS for compressed oxygen: https://www.airgas.com/msds/001043.pdf

Of interest,
  • Flash Point: product does not sustain combustion.
  • Burning Time: not applicable.
  • Burning Rate: not applicable.
Followed by a short list of things that compressed oxygen is extremely flammable in the presence of. (Sorry about ending that sentence with a preposition, it's very awkward . . . and I'm too tired to rewrite it.)

Interesting . . . Here's the MSDS for compressed oxygen: https://www.airgas.com/msds/001043.pdf

Of interest,
  • Flash Point: product does not sustain combustion.
  • Burning Time: not applicable.
  • Burning Rate: not applicable.
Followed by a short list of things that compressed oxygen is extremely flammable in the presence of. (Sorry about ending that sentence with a preposition, it's very awkward . . . and I'm too tired to rewrite it.)
A total mis-understanding of the situation...

I know the owner of an older Cessna whose wife was injured in an auto accident and her injury prevents her from flying, so he won't fly either. His plane is many years out of annual, it has no modern avionics and he believes it is worth what he paid for it...so it sits in a hangar, he pays the rent, and it just rots away. I tried to convince him to sell it for whatever he could get for it, but he refuses ????

Really? Lots of folks will change their practices if this statement were true.
Suprisingly, as any chemistry student will tell you, its true.

Oxygen will not burn. It does cause fuels to burn in its presence, however. And in high oxygen concentrations, those fuels will burn very intensely.

Many students have seen a prof fill a balloon with a truly flammable gas, such as hydrogen or acetylene, and touch a lighter to it for a bang. Then try the same with an oxygen filled balloon. The balloon will simply pop as if it was filled with air -- no explosion.

Google with the keywords oxygen and flammable.

This is answered and demonstrated many times.

Rig up an adapter and connect an O2 tank to a gas grill, camp stove, or propane torch and light it with a spark ignitor.

If you know a welder, try to light his acetylene torch with just the O2 on.

Nothing will happen.

Yes, from a handling perspective, however, you do need to keep O2 away from fuels.

Suprisingly, as any chemistry student will tell you, its true.

Oxygen will not burn. It does cause fuels to burn in its presence, however. And in high oxygen concentrations, those fuels will burn very intensely.
with air -- no explosion.

Yes, from a handling perspective, however, you do need to keep O2 away from fuels.
Umm, reality is a *****. Oxygen will cause a problem. Any chemistry student will tell you it is true....

Umm, reality is a *****. Oxygen will cause a problem. Any chemistry student will tell you it is true....

True, oxygen will cause many problems. It is a great accelerant for burning anything, but it doesn't burn by itself . . . If compressed oxygen sprays on you, your clothes will be much more flammable for a period of time, because they will hold some of the spilled oxygen and if hit by a spark, your clothes will burn more intensely. But it is your clothing that is flammable, the extra oxygen just feeds the fire.

This is in addition to the normal risks of having a gas compressed under high pressure in a tank.

And in the presence of some things (i.e., grease and some oils), the oxygen will mix in and the grease/oil will spontaneously ignite . . . But again, it's the grease burning, the oxygen just helps it go faster and hotter.

True, oxygen will cause many problems. It is a great accelerant for burning anything, but it doesn't burn by itself . . . If compressed oxygen sprays on you, your clothes will be much more flammable for a period of time, because they will hold some of the spilled oxygen and if hit by a spark, your clothes will burn more intensely. But it is your clothing that is flammable, the extra oxygen just feeds the fire.
Remember the old fire triangle?? O2-Fuel- ignition

Try this: spray an oily substance across a lit candle, it will blow like a torch; slack off on the pressure, the fire will run back up the stream and the can of oil will explode. Now blow some compressed oxygen across the candle . . . There is no danger of catching the oxygen tank on fire and it exploding.

Try this: spray an oily substance across a lit candle, it will blow like a torch; slack off on the pressure, the fire will run back up the stream and the can of oil will explode. Now blow some compressed oxygen across the candle . . . There is no danger of catching the oxygen tank on fire and it exploding.
After you complete the first experiment you'll have to wait until you get out of the hospital to do the second.

ask the Apollo 1 crew about O2 flamibility

RIP Gus Grissim, Ed White & Roger Chafee

Take a deep breath for a moment, and reread the posts below in context, with regards to a hangar lease.

I am fully aware of the difference between potentially causing a problem, and whether O2 is classified as a flammable or explosive gas. (Hint: it isn't.)

Local airport here doesn't care about what's in your hanger. Just needs something in it that flies, anything else is optional unless it is flammable or explosive.

Can you keep oxygen in the hangar?

Technically, oxygen is neither flammable nor explosive.

Good lord, here we go again.

Oxygen flammable = NO

Now can we get back to something better to discuss like spraying hot engines down with a garden hose

Well, I read on the internet that cold water is better than hot water.......

Take a deep breath for a moment, and reread the posts below in context, with regards to a hangar lease.

I am fully aware of the difference between potentially causing a problem, and whether O2 is classified as a flammable or explosive gas. (Hint: it isn't.)
Take a deep breath yourself. Can anything burn without oxygen? (Hint: burning which is oxidation is impossible without it) Hmmm, better yet why don't you don a cannula, start some oxygen flow the smoke a cigarette. How's that gonna work out?

We're in danger of setting a new record for obtuse. :D

Oxygen is not flammable (or inflammable). If it was we wouldn't need avgas or jet fuel to power our planes

Last edited:
Yeah, O2 doesn't burn - I think O2 can lower flash point; I remember a guy igniting his lips for a moment, testing his mask on pre-flight, with vaseline or some such applied to his chapped lips. Been a while, I may have the details muddled, but we got a reminder about lip balms. . .

ask the Apollo 1 crew about O2 flamibility

RIP Gus Grissim, Ed White & Roger Chafee

You should go read the AIB report. While being pressurized with oxygen was a contributing factor, it was small in comparison to engineering mistakes and failures.

I'm still certified to deal with on aircraft LOX systems, and have to at work.

If oxygen was flammable we wouldn't know about it because our atmosphere would have caught fire the first time a hot space rock skipped across the atmosphere, or after the very first lightning bolt discharged once the atmosphere hit the critical percentage to sustain fire. So, there's that all settled and finished, right?

Take a deep breath yourself. Can anything burn without oxygen? (Hint: burning which is oxidation is impossible without it) Hmmm, better yet why don't you don a cannula, start some oxygen flow the smoke a cigarette. How's that gonna work out?

One more try. You are completely missing the discussion (and the science) while trying to make your point.

If your written lease prohibits storing flammable or explosive substances in a hangar, does that language prohibit you from storing a bottle of aviator's O2 there? Yes or no?

As a reminder, hydrogen is classified as a flammable gas, oxygen is not.

15 or so years ago I was looking for a plane found a fairly nice '57 C172 square tail. Called the owner he was nasty when I asked if he was interested in selling it. It is still sitting at the airport with flat tires and now no way I'd touch it. Only good for beer cans now and according to the FAA website the same guy still owns it.

15 or so years ago I was looking for a plane found a fairly nice '57 C172 square tail. Called the owner he was nasty when I asked if he was interested in selling it. It is still sitting at the airport with flat tires and now no way I'd touch it. Only good for beer cans now and according to the FAA website the same guy still owns it.

Unfortunately, that is all too common.

Might be a good topic for AOPA, or Flying, gentle advocacy for selling it if you aren't flying it. . .

Nose into the ground looks great.!!! Especially since I live pretty close to the traffic pattern....that should draw a little attention...:lol::lol::lol:
Fantasy of Flight used to have an old Beech 18 parked on its nose out by the highway near the end of the runway, with a dummy attached to a parachute hanging from the tail. They had to remove it as it was causing too many 911 calls.

Back