AA now introduces 'Basic Economy'

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
I just got an email about Basic Economy. They are following United.

From Flagship® First to our new, lowest fare – Basic Economy – we're providing you with a new option to select a travel experience that best fits your needs.

With Basic Economy, get our lowest Main Cabin fare with the same great onboard experience including free snacks, soft drinks and entertainment. Plus, you’ll still earn American Airlines AAdvantage® award miles, and elite qualifying credits (EQMs/EQSs) at a reduced rate.

Some restrictions will apply:

• 1 item that fits under seat (no access to overhead bins)
  • Seats assigned at check-in
  • Fees to choose a specific seat
  • Not eligible for upgrades
  • No flight changes or refunds
  • Board in last group

Basic Economy goes on sale in late February on select routes.

The goal is to compete with Spirit et. al.

At least with Allegient or Spirit, I stand a 33% chance of an aisle seat, and the same for window. With this, you're almost guaranteed a middle seat.

What's not in the press release, I don't think, is this class gets the absolute lowest priority in rebooking after irrops.

If I wanted to fly Allegient, I'd fly Allegient.

I still think I'd be more comfortable if they'd just stack us on like chordwood -- lemme lie in my "comfort pod" with some headphones while the hydraulics load is in. Haha.

Meh - it's just the free market in action. If Spirit and Allegiant weren't so successful, the Big 3 wouldn't be experimenting with these sorts of things.

Some restrictions will apply:

• 1 item that fits under seat (no access to overhead bins)
  • Seats assigned at check-in
  • Fees to choose a specific seat
  • Not eligible for upgrades
  • No flight changes or refunds
  • Board in last group

Basic Economy goes on sale in late February on select routes.

My rules for pax in the Conquest are remarkably similar.

I flew Frontier recently, it was similar to this AA proposal.

Glad I am retired and don't have to fly for business like I used to. Now, I take my plane and flip them the middle as I taxi by!

I'm just happy with my two free roundtrip tickets to anywhere in the world. AA got awarded the Best Airline according to Air Transport World.

I sure hope my employer won't expect me to book "basic economy". Up to this point my employer has expected that I fly the cheapest economy class, and that I must pay the difference if I want any kind of premium economy with more legroom, earlier boarding, or whatever.

Just when you think the seats in Economy are uncomfortable, they introduce "Basic Economy"
  • Cardboard seat
  • Non-reclinable
  • No onboard amenities
  • No window
:D

Just when you think the seats in Economy are uncomfortable, they introduce "Basic Economy"
  • Cardboard seat
  • Non-reclinable
  • No onboard amenities
  • No window
:D
Someday they will just put everyone in crates in the cargo section. LOL

They aren't changing the seats.

They are only introducing it in 10 markets so far.

Idk, UA is close. I hate slimline seats with a passion.
I used to think that, but I recently flew United after avoiding them for a decade and they seemed like they have really turned their act around. Out of 4 flights I took, every single one boarded exactly when they said they would and we pushed back either on time or even early. And the cabin crews seemed to have positive attitudes.

I used to think that, but I recently flew United after avoiding them for a decade and they seemed like they have really turned their act around. Out of 4 flights I took, every single one boarded exactly when they said they would and we pushed back either on time or even early. And the cabin crews seemed to have positive attitudes.

Undoubtedly due to the influence from the Continental side.

Undoubtedly due to the influence from the Continental side.
Probably. Back before the bankruptcies and mergers the two domestic carriers at the top of the pile were DL and CO. And they had a partnership at the time. But UA offered (or tried to offer) some things like international F class that CO had already dispensed with. And the merger integration itself was no great shakes.

American already sucks......this will just make it suck more. I got the same email and they seem awfully proud of themselves putting this piece of crap together.

I flew 4 flights 2 weeks ago. 2 were late and my ass hurt after 3 hours.

I'm just happy with my two free roundtrip tickets to anywhere in the world. AA got awarded the Best Airline according to Air Transport World.
Enjoy them as management enjoys 50k and up bonuses. I would give Doug 4th place effort.

It makes perfect marketing sense. It puts the option to fly AA near the top of a fare search. After that, the percentage revenue bump for these fares when customers choose (or are forced to take) an extra service is amazing. Not that I like the concept, but I totally understand it.

It makes perfect marketing sense. It puts the option to fly AA near the top of a fare search. After that, the percentage revenue bump for these fares when customers choose (or are forced to take) an extra service is amazing. Not that I like the concept, but I totally understand it.
Bingo.

Enjoy them as management enjoys 50k and up bonuses. I would give Doug 4th place effort.

Well the award was for benefit to the company and its shareholders, not us. I've only been on property for less then a week. So eh. I keep working and in a year or two I'll use the tickets if I get days off.

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing overhead bins taken out in entirety. It would surely speed up boarding and deboarding.
Especially the people that drag everything they need for a 7 day cruise on board with them!

I am going to start an airline. You give us some money and then stay home. We will place a picture of you in a seat aboard an aircraft and you can sit at home playing on your phone. No lines, no security, no luggage hassles, no parking. Just fun!

The race to the bottom continues. Alaska Airlines is the only airline I will fly on if I have any say in the matter. I'm bummed that the Delta/Alaska partner program ended because I think Delta does a great job too.

Back