AA now introduces 'Basic Economy'

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing overhead bins taken out in entirety. It would surely speed up boarding and deboarding.
I agree. The overhead bin is the bane of modern air transportation. Back when then all you could throw up there was a hat (back when men wore hats) and any other carry on need to go under the seat you could get off the plane safely in a decent time. Now you have to wait while everbody unloads their damned life's possessions from the bin and hope they don't bean you in the process.

I agree. The overhead bin is the bane of modern air transportation. Back when then all you could throw up there was a hat (back when men wore hats) and any other carry on need to go under the seat you could get off the plane safely in a decent time. Now you have to wait while everbody unloads their damned life's possessions from the bin and hope they don't bean you in the process.

The airlines brought this on themselves. Back in the day, those folks traveling on overnight trips gave their suitcase to the baggage handler who loaded it into and out of the cargo hold for you, as part of the ticket price. Then they figured out they could lay off half of those workers, and charge pax as much as $45 for the first bag and $55 for the second (Spirit), each way.

Airlines don't see this a negative. They have a new revenue stream for those that check, and most of the luggage is now handled at no cost by their customers.

The airlines brought this on themselves. Back in the day, those folks traveling on overnight trips gave their suitcase to the baggage handler who loaded it into and out of the cargo hold for you, as part of the ticket price. Then they figured out they could lay off half of those workers, and charge pax as much as $45 for the first bag and $55 for the second (Spirit), each way.

Airlines don't see this a negative. They have a new revenue stream for those that check, and most of the luggage is now handled at no cost by their customers.

Yes, they brought this on themselves, but the original reason carry ons came in vogue was because they had such a high rate of lost baggage. Then the snowball started...more carry ons, so airlines created larger bins. Larger bins so more carry ons. Less checked baggage but same standing army of baggage carriers, so airline said lets charge for baggage (coupled with post-911 airline woes). Now they charge for baggage, so even more carry ons.

The overhead bin debacle started long before the airlines got the bright idea of charging for checked bags.

Well the award was for benefit to the company and its shareholders, not us. I've only been on property for less then a week. So eh. I keep working and in a year or two I'll use the tickets if I get days off.
I won't rain on your parade. The management lothing of labor will become apparent soon enough. Welcome to the jungle......

American already sucks......this will just make it suck more. I got the same email and they seem awfully proud of themselves putting this piece of crap together.
My prediction is that the new Basic Economy fare will be the current Regular Economy fare. They will not lower the current economy fare to account for the lower level of service. They will add $50 to the current economy fare and THAT will be the new economy.

Botttom line, those that choose Basic Economy will pay Regular Economy fare for lower level of service (lower service for same fare). Those who choose Regular Economy will pay more for the service they are currently getting (same service, higher fare). Either way, customer gets screwed.

My prediction is that the new Basic Economy fare will be the current Regular Economy fare. They will not lower the current economy fare to account for the lower level of service. They will add $50 to the current economy fare and THAT will be the new economy.

The goal is to recapture revenue lost to Spirit and Allegiant and other ULCC's; if they do what your describe it would defeat the purpose.

Botttom line, those that choose Basic Economy will pay Regular Economy fare for lower level of service (lower service for same fare). Those who choose Regular Economy will pay more for the service they are currently getting (same service, higher fare). Either way, customer gets screwed.

Can you please describe what ratio of fare price to service level would not be considered to be screwing customers and how you arrived at that conclusion?

Back