A voice for GA goes silent

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
I just read Lane Wallace's last "Flying Lessons" column. She has written for Flying and Sport Aviation magazines over the years, and I've always enjoyed her unique perspective on G.A.

I also know she was an inspiration for women pilots. Other women pilots (Amy Laboda, Julie Boatman, Meg Godlewski, Martha Lunken, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting...) have written well about aviation, but Lane was in a class of her own.

She will be missed. :(

She's not going silent, just not writing a monthly column for EAA.

She "went silent" when she left Flying magazine but then she popped up at Sport Aviation within a few months. The Atlantic also has occasional pieces from her. I imagine we'll see her around.

-Paul

Writing columns in a publication that is only read by subscribers of that publication is not being a voice. Being a voice for GA would be writing a weekly/monthly GA column in the Times, Post, Tribune etc...

hyperbola/e - it's not just a math function.

PS - I have sky proof umbrellas I'm selling if you want to buy one Jay.

I used to have a major crush on Lane. Then it seemed like her columns got too feminine or mushy or something.

I hope that doesn't mean that I like my women masculine.

Sorry for being off topic Jay, are you participating in Falcon Flight, RV formation flight clinic at Gillespie County Airport 3/13-3/14 ?

A guess is that she was under Mac's umbrella, and lost the column upon his retirement as editor of SA.
I think this is closer to the mark, but I'm guessing she left voluntarily when Mac did rather than "losing" her column. I know folks didn't believe he was a good match for EAA, but he is a very competent, very professional magazine editor. When you're a freelance writer, that counts for a lot.

It's likely he has a new position identified, and he probably offered Ms. Wallace a similar spot in his new magazine. I know that when Dave Martin left KITPLANES, I probably would have followed him to a new magazine, if he'd stayed in the business.

Ron Wanttaja

Sorry for being off topic Jay, are you participating in Falcon Flight, RV formation flight clinic at Gillespie County Airport 3/13-3/14 ?
Nope. I've never done formation flying, but would love to.

I would never be able to get away during Spring Break. :(

I think this is closer to the mark, but I'm guessing she left voluntarily when Mac did rather than "losing" her column. I know folks didn't believe he was a good match for EAA, but he is a very competent, very professional magazine editor. When you're a freelance writer, that counts for a lot.

It's likely he has a new position identified, and he probably offered Ms. Wallace a similar spot in his new magazine. I know that when Dave Martin left KITPLANES, I probably would have followed him to a new magazine, if he'd stayed in the business.

Ron Wanttaja
I hope you're right. She's one of the grassroots pilot/writers that offset so much of the gunslinger/gee-whiz/testosterone-driven "There I was..."-style of aviation writing that, while fun to read, doesn't appeal to many.

She also offsets the turbine/bizjet writers who love the technical minutia of airplanes while completely missing the romance and adventure side of flying.

I've met Lane once or twice, in passing over the years, and I've always admired her writing and passion for aviation. Wherever she lands, I will be sure to follow.
:)

The love of aviation is in her blood,she'll be back hopefully.

I hope you're right. She's one of the grassroots pilot/writers that offset so much of the gunslinger/gee-whiz/testosterone-driven "There I was..."-style of aviation writing that, while fun to read, doesn't appeal to many.

She also offsets the turbine/bizjet writers who love the technical minutia of airplanes while completely missing the romance and adventure side of flying.

I've met Lane once or twice, in passing over the years, and I've always admired her writing and passion for aviation. Wherever she lands, I will be sure to follow.
:)

I thought she was a great fit for FLYING. Maybe she will land there again. She'd be awesome writing for AOPA Pilot too.

I'm so out of it I didn't even know Mac left. A pity that, he wrote competently.

The love of aviation is in her blood,she'll be back hopefully.
Well...she probably still loves aviation, but may have gotten tired of the grind of writing about it.

There are few in the aviation-writing business that are wholly supported by their writing endeavors. Those that are, are typically out-and-out employed by a magazine. And there are few of those Remember, a title isn't employment... being a "Contributing Editor" doesn't mean you're drawing a paycheck.

Just a reference point: I write one article for EAA every year. If I wrote an article every month (and got the paid the same for it), I'd take in less than 10% of my annual engineering salary.

So we writers generally have other sources of income...and, concommittally with that, other lives. Unfortunately, when one commits to a monthly column, writing can take too much from those lives. The deadlines are fixed, and in addition to the natural desire to honor your promise to deliver, there's the knowledge that if you *don't*, the editor (typically a friend) is going to have to scramble to plug the hole. Going to go on vacation? You don't get time off, you just have to write twice as much to get ahead before you leave.

Plus the fact that you have to come up with a new article every month. A new idea, a new slant, a new product, a new procedure, a new friend, a new way to say "Gee I love to fly" without repeating yourself.

Doesn't sound so bad, over the course of a year. Imagine 20 years of it, like Lane Wallace.

Plus, of course, continue to work your full time job. And fly your airplane. And maintain your airplane. And be with your family. And take your kids to soccer. And fix the leaky roof. And deal with aging parents. Remember, your deadline is only a couple of weeks away.

Yes, a lot of people work two jobs. Few of them enjoy the experience. And aviation writing just doesn't bring in that much to make two jobs worthwhile.

I've been offered columns several times over the years. My usual response is along the lines of "no freakin' way."

So a big salute to people like Dick Stark, Jim Weir, Lane Wallace, and the others that make it worthwhile to open that brand-new magazine in the mail. And if they want a rest, who can blame them?

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
Ron,

Thanks for the insider perspective. It does bring the issue into focus.

Has she started a new column yet? I noticed her Cheetah listed on Trade-A-Plane a few months ago and am wondering if she got out of GA.

Has she started a new column yet? I noticed her Cheetah listed on Trade-A-Plane a few months ago and am wondering if she got out of GA.
Oh, that's sad. Let's hope it's only to buy a cool RV-8!

She would look awesome in an -8...

Just a reference point: I write one article for EAA every year. If I wrote an article every month (and got the paid the same for it), I'd take in less than 10% of my annual engineering salary.

What're you talking about? I received a whole $35 in book royalties this year!

Good thing you didn't post a link. Half the guys here would call her up pretending to be interested. In the plane.

Good thing you didn't post a link. Half the guys here would call her up pretending to be interested. In the plane.

It was being sold through a broker or dealer, if I recall correctly. Apparently she's smarter than you think :)

Back