A tale of two CFIs: Logging PIC time in HP Complex

ArnoldPalmer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ArnoldPalmer
Title was inspired by another thread on PoA.

So.. am working towards my commercial ticket and have had a few flights in a Cessna 182RG to get the complex requirements done.

I am also a member of the CAP, and have been working towards getting my mission quals, flying a Cessna 182 (no retract).

I've had 2 flights in each aircraft. Now I don't have a HP or Complex endorsement. The CAP instructor after looking up AOPA and the Herman LoI is of the opinion that I can log this time as PIC time.

My commercial and 182RG instructor differs on this. Showed him AOPA opinion and the LOI. He says I cannot log PIC time. He also says if I was a safety pilot for someone under the hood flying a 182RG, I could log they safety pilot time as PiC time.

Confusing. What is your opinion?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

“Two flights in each aircraft” doing what exactly? Receiving logged instruction from a CFI?

You may not ACT as PIC in an aircraft that requires the complex endorsement.

FAA has been pretty clear that ACTing as PIC and LOGging of PIC are completely separate in the regs.

You may LOG PIC time if the aircraft requires two pilots or the operation being conducted does, and you are rated in category and class, and when you are sole manipulator of the controls.

However saying you “went flying” isn’t enough information for us to know if the flight you took was a flight operation requiring two pilots.

Were the flights with a CFI and documented correctly in your logbook as training?

You may simultaneously log PIC and dual received if you are rated in the aircraft (category and class), are the sole manipulator of the controls, and are receiving flight instruction.

The CFI will be also logging it as PIC per regulation allowing that, and also will be Acting PIC, since you don’t have the endorsement they’re training you for.

If those flights aren’t with a CFI and there’s not a training signature next to them in the log, then things get a little different. Let us know.

My commercial and 182RG instructor differs on this. Showed him AOPA opinion and the LOI. He says I cannot log PIC time. He also says if I was a safety pilot for someone under the hood flying a 182RG, I could log they safety pilot time as PiC time.

You cannot log PIC time if you're flying the airplane, but you can if you're a safety pilot? Wtf. That's completely backward.

I feel like it's way past time for the FAA to add questions about logging flight time to the written test.

You cannot log PIC time if you're flying the airplane, but you can if you're a safety pilot? Wtf. That's completely backward.

Right, the commercial instructor had it the wrong way around.
[Edit: re-read original post and can't figure out from pronouns which instructor came on which side originally. But anyway...]

You can log it PIC if you're sole manipulator of the controls (and PP/category-and-class). Even if you don't have the endorsements and are not acting PIC. Like happens during dual instruction past the PP.

You can also serve as a safety pilot with just PP/category-and-class, but safety pilot time is worth nothing for logging, unless you are also *acting* as PIC during that time (when two pilots are necessary), and you'd need all the endorsements in order to do that.

You can also serve as a safety pilot with just PP/category-and-class, but safety pilot time is worth nothing for logging, unless you are also *acting* as PIC during that time (when two pilots are necessary), and you'd need all the endorsements in order to do that.

It can be logged as SIC, since the legal requirement of the flight is a two pilot crew. It is not “worth nothing”.

It can be logged as SIC, since the legal requirement of the flight is a two pilot crew. It is not “worth nothing”.
Yup, yup... yerright.

Thought the CAP 182s were 200 hp, which makes them HP? And doesn't the CAP instructor also a CFI?

Thought the CAP 182s were 200 hp, which makes them HP? And doesn't the CAP instructor also a CFI?

Skylanes come standard with a 230HP engine unless modified, so it is a HP plane. 200HP is not high performance. It has to be over 200HP.

Skylanes come standard with a 230HP engine unless modified, so it is a HP plane. 200HP is not high performance. It has to be over 200HP.
So...the OP can log dual HP time, right?

So...the OP can log dual HP time, right?

Who logs HP time and for what?

What are you asking?

He was asking if he could log PIC time.

In the above answers, replace “complex” with “high performance”, it doesn’t change the answer. It’s an endorsement.

Stick “tailwheel” in there if you like. Same deal.

A tale of two CFIs. One who knows, understands, and accepts the rule and one who doesn't. And, based on the description, doesn't understand the safety pilot logging rule either.

Yes, you can log the "sole manipulator of an aircraft you are rated for (airplane single engine land)" time as PIC under 61.51 as written and as officially interpreted by the FAA for at least 38 years. You can only log safety pilot time as PIC when you are "acting" as PIC, which you can't do without the endorsement, under formal interpretations going back almost as long.

I thought we were finally past this one in the instructor community except for some old codgers who don't like and refuse to accept the rules. Guess not. Perhaps he does so much instruction he never has to do an FIRC, where it has been discussed a number of times through the years.

Last edited:
“Two flights in each aircraft” doing what exactly? Receiving logged instruction from a CFI?

Correct.

Receiving dual to get the endorsement for HP Complex.

235 or so. Makes them HP. But the point remains, no endorsement in logbook yet. Working with the CFI to get this, so can the dual time towards this count as PIC time?

Thanks

235 or so. Makes them HP. But the point remains, no endorsement in logbook yet. Working with the CFI to get this, so can the dual time towards this count as PIC time?

Thanks

Yes you can log dual received and PIC time.

The 182s are 230 or 235 which makes them HP.

200 does not make an airplane HP. Over 200 does.

Title was inspired by another thread on PoA.

So.. am working towards my commercial ticket and have had a few flights in a Cessna 182RG to get the complex requirements done.

I am also a member of the CAP, and have been working towards getting my mission quals, flying a Cessna 182 (no retract).

I've had 2 flights in each aircraft. Now I don't have a HP or Complex endorsement. The CAP instructor after looking up AOPA and the Herman LoI is of the opinion that I can log this time as PIC time.

Confusing. What is your opinion?

You may not act as PIC of a HP or complex aircraft unless you have received training and receive the endorsements. You may log PIC for all hours you are the sole manipulator of the controls in an aircraft you are rated. You are rated in a SEL. Log it.

Does this answer the question (notice the date)? This isn't on the FAA's Chief Counsel website because of it's age, but if you want a more recent confirmation, here's the 2009 Herman update (not even with a CFI)

==============================
OCT. 28, 1980

WINSTON SCOTT JONES

Dear Mr. Jones:

This is in response to your letter in which you request an interpretation of Section 61.51(2)(c) of the Federal Aviation Regulations, regarding logging of pilot-in-command (PIC) flight time.

Specifically, you ask what time may be logged as PIC time when the pilot in the right seat is a certificated flight instructor (CFI) along for the purpose of instruction and is not a required crewmember, and the pilot in the left seat holds either a private or commercial certificate in an aircraft for which he is rated.

Section 61.51 is a flight-time logging regulation, under which PIC time may be logged by one who is not actually the pilot in command (i.e., not "ultimately" responsible for the aircraft) during that time. This is consistent with the purpose of Section 61.51, which as stated in 61.51(a) is to record aeronautical training and experience used to meet the requirements for a certificate or rating, or the recent flight experience requirements of Section 61.

Section 61.51(c)(2)(i) provides that a private or commercial pilot may log as pilot-in-command time only that flight time during which the pilot--

1. Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which he is rated; or

2. Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or

3. Acts as pilot-in-command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft, or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.

Under Section 61.51(c)(2)(iii) a certificated flight instructor may log as pilot-in-command time all flight time during which he or she acts as a flight instructor. Sections 61.51(b)(2)(iii) and (iv) provide for logging of flight instruction and instrument flight instruction received.

Accordingly, two or more pilots may each log PIC time for the same flight time. For example, a pilot who is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which he or she is rated may log that time as PIC time under 61.51(c)(2)(i) while receiving instruction, and the instructor may log that same time as PIC time under 61.51(c)(2)(iii).

There is no provision in the FAR's for logging of "dual" flight time; however, we assume that you are referring to logging time as instruction received. Section 61.51(b)(2)(iii) and (iv) allow flight instruction and instrument instruction received time to be recorded. There is nothing in the FAR's which prevents a pilot from logging the same time as both instruction received and PIC time, as long as each requirement is met. The pilot may also log the same time as instrument instruction. Note, though, that one hour of flight logged both as one hour of PIC and one hour of instruction received still adds up to only one hour total flight time.

You request interpretations of these regulations for situations in which:

1. The purpose of the flight is instruction in advanced maneuvers.

2. The purpose of the flight is simulated instrument instruction in actual VFR conditions.

3. The purpose of the flight is instrument instruction actual IFR conditions.

4. The pilot in the left seat is not current in the aircraft or in the conditions of flight.

5. The purpose of the flight is transition from tricycle to conventional landing gear.

6. The purpose of the flight is obtaining logbook endorsement authorizing operation of a high performance aircraft, as required by FAR 61.31(e).

7. The purpose of the flight is transition to a different type aircraft of the same category and class for which the left seat pilot is rated and a type rating is not required.

In each situation, the CFI may log PIC time for all flight time during which she or he acts as flight instructor. The pilot receiving instruction may also log PIC time in each of these situations, as the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which she or he is rated. Specifically, neither the currency requirements of situation 4 nor the log book endorsement of situation 6 are ratings within the meaning of Section 61.51. "Rating" as used in that section refers to the rating in categories, classes, and types, as listed in Section 61.5, which are placed on pilot certificates.

We trust that this discussion answers your questions.

Sincerely,

EDWARD P. FABERMAN
Acting Assistant Chief Counsel
Regulations and Enforcement Division
==============================

Last edited:
Thanks all!

BTW, When I did my HP/complex transition, my CFI thought it was not logable as PIC. No big deal, especially then. So, later on, I added the time to the PIC column in my logbook.

My commercial instructor is hung up on 61.31, but refuses to look at 61.51.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

He clearly doesn’t know the difference between ACTING and LOGGING PIC time. You are rated in the airplane. You can LOG PIC.

My commercial instructor is hung up on 61.31, but refuses to look at 61.51.
That's the No 1 error in understanding logging PIC. To answer a logging question you never look at anything other than 61.51 unless 61.51 tell you to.

Don't worry about it.

HAHA. I did the same!!
I doubt we were the only ones. I think you see a lot of it in the tailwheel area. Many of the very best tailwheel instructors are "old school" when it comes to the logging PIC rules. "Old school" in this case just meaning they were never exposed to the dichotomy or the technical difference between "rating" and " endorsement" and assumed one could not log PIC unless one were at least authorized to act as PIC.

It's not exactly an unreasonable assumption. Having been part of the "logging PIC wars" when the correct interpretation was being discussed in the days of early CompuServe and Usenet, it was not a concept easily accepted. Many people still have a lot of difficulty beyond rote knowledge and have problems applying it to any new situation. I find it humorous when someone who has learned it comes along and talks about how "obvious" it is - now that they have been taught it, of course ;)

Back