A summer fly-in at Bob Bement's place?

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement

I am trying to have a little fly-in offer to my friends in the North west area at Vale, Or. S49 Miller Memorial, this summer some time ( date not set as yet ). I will try to update as more info is available. It will probably be in the later part of June or after July 4th a couple of weeks into July. I have some from the Purple board already coming.

Barb and I would love to come, keep us posted, we should be back by then and the 170 will be flying.

Looks like a good excuse for me to get out that way. Wouldn't mind checking out Minam Lodge and/or Land's Inn on the way there or back. And Hell's Canyon. Will see what the wife thinks. Count me as a possible.

Hopefully the fire season doesn't mess up views of the scenery too much.

Good. I like that some of you might be interested in visiting. Eastern Oregon. We could fly into somewhere in the Idaho Back country or the Minam Lodge. in OR. Sounds good.

Good. I like that some of you might be interested in visiting. Eastern Oregon. We could fly into somewhere in the Idaho Back country or the Minam Lodge. in OR. Sounds good.

Thanks for thinking of hosting a fly-in, this sound interesting and I'd like to see a little bit of what your back country flying is about.

Sounds like fun. Of course, that's right in the time frame when our daughter expects to present us with our first grandsons, so we may be preoccupied. :yes:

Thanks for thinking of hosting a fly-in, this sound interesting and I'd like to see a little bit of what your back country flying is about.

I can lead you in, or if you don't feel up to it I could fly you in to the Minam from say LaGrande,Or. and into Johnson Creek from Cascade, ID.:yes:

The dates I have set are June 19 - 22 if you can't make those dates and would still like to fly to Bob's place let me know. We can work something out. The meet and greet is set for these 4 days.

I have a few on this board and a few on the Purple board that are talking about some plans. I like the sound of it.

The dates I have set are June 19 - 22 if you can't make those dates and would still like to fly to Bob's place let me know. We can work something out. The meet and greet is set for these 4 days.

Since summer solstice falls on June 21, I think there should be plenty of daylight!

Since summer solstice falls on June 21, I think there should be plenty of daylight!

It is hard to find a date the suits every one I can just set a date and hope some can fit it in. Yes that should help. I hope some plan on a fly out or two to some back country strips. I am looking forward to it.

I hope you at least give it a thought if you can make it I would sure like it a lot.

If you haven't done any back country flying and plan on flying your plane into one of these strips. I recommend doing some slow flight practice. As some of these strips are short, and they are usually in the bottom of a canyon along a creek. There fore the canyon is narrow and when you turn in a canyon you should have flaps down ( I use two notches on my 182 Cessna) and hand on the throttle, I use 80 in the turn and slow down to 60 over the fence or end of the runway. Just saying it never hurts to practice that. Picture Landing at the Minam Lodge Strip.

Attachments

• Approach to the Minam Lodge strip.jpg
    Approach to the Minam Lodge strip.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
We are getting some interest in the west coast fly in in June I hope you think about it anyway.

It is hard to find a date the suits every one I can just set a date and hope some can fit it in. Yes that should help. I hope some plan on a fly out or two to some back country strips. I am looking forward to it.

I too hope it works out in terms of weather and folks available.

I have several that have shown a lot of interest some from WA, OR, MT, CA. So I will be just fine it they show up. If they don't we will try it another time.
:yes:

I have several that have shown a lot of interest some from WA, OR, MT, CA. So I will be just fine it they show up. If they don't we will try it another time.

You don't happen to have any recommendations for places to stay in the area - either around Vale or some of the other airports in the region?

You don't happen to have any recommendations for places to stay in the area - either around Vale or some of the other airports in the region?

We have a bed and breakfast in our town and a courtesy car at the airport. If you want to camp there is a couple places for that. Don't let that stop you from joining in.

I am thinking I would like to have a flyout to Big Creek U60 on the 21st. They are trying to raise money for a new lodge there. The old lodge built in about 1932 burned down in 2008. If you are on facebook. search Big Creek Lodge. The breakfast is $10.00 each but the flight is great. About 40 minutes from Vale in my 182.

Attachments

• Big Creek takeoff.jpg
    Big Creek takeoff.jpg
    785.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5257.JPG
    IMG_5257.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5258_1.JPG
    IMG_5258_1.JPG
    583.2 KB · Views: 28
This is a little sketch I did to show how I sometimes land at Big Creek. In AirNav.com Big Creek is listed as U60.

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    994.8 KB · Views: 31
  • gord's pictures 1329 (800x600) (2).jpg
    gord's pictures 1329 (800x600) (2).jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 27
We have a bed and breakfast in our town and a courtesy car at the airport. If you want to camp there is a couple places for that. Don't let that stop you from joining in.

Bob, thanks for the suggestions. We're planning on showing up. Since we were planning on exploring some of the area by car we would likely hop over to Ontario and rent a car and possibly stay a night there. (If the B&B you mention is the Oregon Trail Inn, it seems to have gotten poor reviews on Trip Advisor.)

Bob, thanks for the suggestions. We're planning on showing up. Since we were planning on exploring some of the area by car we would likely hop over to Ontario and rent a car and possibly stay a night there. (If the B&B you mention is the Oregon Trail Inn, it seems to have gotten poor reviews on Trip Advisor.)

I don't really know that much about the B&B here in Vale. It used to be good but it has changed hands in the last few years. So I don't know. I thought we could have a BBQ out in the back yard there as they have a good set up for that. I will do a little detective work in the next few days.

Barb and I would love to come, keep us posted, we should be back by then and the 170 will be flying.

Tom would you be interested in flying into the Minam and Big Creek while you are here. I would like to do that but don't know if that is something that my guests would want to do?:yes:

I asked around and got mixed answers. I guess the people that bought it a few years back are older and are having some health problems. I talked to some that stayed there recently and the had no complaints. So I don't really know what to tell you.

I asked around and got mixed answers. I guess the people that bought it a few years back are older and are having some health problems. I talked to some that stayed there recently and the had no complaints. So I don't really know what to tell you.

Thanks for asking around. Will keep it open as a possibility.

If and when we fly into the Minam Lodge for a visit, don't worry about parking. They have Valet parking there.:yes:

Attachments

• Valet Parking Minam.JPG
    Valet Parking Minam.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
I hope some of you can make it to my place on these dates. June 19 --- 22 for a fly-in fly-out.

I hope some of you can make it to my place on these dates. June 19 --- 22 for a fly-in fly-out.

I've got a plane already booked for those days. Not sure which days we'll show our faces at your place and which days we'll be off checking out the area on our own. Also not sure if the wife will be up for a fly-out to Minam or Big Creek.

I've got a plane already booked for those days. Not sure which days we'll show our faces at your place and which days we'll be off checking out the area on our own. Also not sure if the wife will be up for a fly-out to Minam or Big Creek.

Well I hope you come and I don't want to force anyone into going into those strips if they don't feel comfortable doing so. If you make it that will be great.

I need to start getting a list of those pilots and others that plan on coming to Vale for my fly-in/fly-out. I need to start making some arrangements so please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks------ Bob.

It's on my calendar and vacation is scheduled...haven't done anything else for accommodation, etc.

I need to start getting a list of those pilots and others that plan on coming to Vale for my fly-in/fly-out. I need to start making some arrangements so please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks------ Bob.

Still planning to be there. Tentatively planning to fly in on the 20th and depart the 23. Likely stay someplace in Ontario.

Still planning to be there. Tentatively planning to fly in on the 20th and depart the 23. Likely stay someplace in Ontario.

Jim, are you planning on joining us on the flyouts I was planning to the Minam on the 20th and to Big Creek on the 21st ?

Jim, are you planning on joining us on the flyouts I was planning to the Minam on the 20th and to Big Creek on the 21st ?

Minam is iffy since we probably couldn't show up till early afternoon. What time of the day were you thinking of having the flyout to it?

Big Creek on the 21st is a destination I think we could do.

Minam is iffy since we probably couldn't show up till early afternoon. What time of the day were you thinking of having the flyout to it?

Big Creek on the 21st is a destination I think we could do.

Jim, we would want to go as early as possible. I think we will shoot for an eight o'clock Mountain time blast off. So we can get there eat look around and get out of there before it warm up to much. We have some that are concerned with useful load, and Density Altitude.

Jim, we would want to go as early as possible. I think we will shoot for an eight o'clock Mountain time blast off. So we can get there eat look around and get out of there before it warm up to much. We have some that are concerned with useful load, and Density Altitude.

Unfortunately we wont be able to arrive till after noon, so we wont be able to do Minam. :(

I suspect I'll also have to pass on joining in on any early departure to Big Creek. These days I only get up early if there is income involved.

early is good - the 'kota has enough ground role without adding high DA to the equation

Unfortunately we wont be able to arrive till after noon, so we wont be able to do Minam. :(

I suspect I'll also have to pass on joining in on any early departure to Big Creek. These days I only get up early if there is income involved.

You could join us at a later time at Big Creek we will be there for a while . I would like to get out of there no later than 10:30, especially if the weather is warm at all.

Back