A&Ps and medical insurance.

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Tom-D, May 15, 2019.

1. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    Those of us who are working small shops, How do you work medical insurance?

Is the shop responsible for providing it?

Shop is not a FBO, CRS or any other incorporated entity A&Ps are employed to maintain owners aircraft.

How should the medical insurance be handled?

2. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    The employer mandate only kicks in when you have 50 full timers working there. It's up to your conscience and business sense as to whether to provide it otherwise. Several carriers provide small business plans. Otherwise, you and your employees will have to pick it up on the exchanges.

3. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    If you are working for a small company, it usually is a poor quality health plan with the employer paying 0-80% of the premium.

4. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    In this case, it isn't a real company.

5. Bell206

Bell206 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    Before the ACA it was not an issue for the small shops I worked with. Afterwards it was a goat f. Since most employer discounts started at the magic 50 number it became almost impossible to control costs from year to year. Some dropped it, some closed. One converted employees to contractors so they could access the marketplace exchanges.

6. flyingron

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    It was no bargain for companies with 50+ employees either. We ended up casting around trying to find something and ended up going with a HDHP and comping the employees the deductible. Things didn't get any better after we became part of the massive Textron bureaucracy. You think there would be an economy of scale. Textron is self-insured and uses United Healthcare to administer it. Of course, they carefully determine what the suckiest commercial plan is and match that.

I just went on my wife's federal plan.

7. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    1099 and nut'n else.

8. chartbundle

chartbundle Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
    Several not-aircraft-related companies I've worked for have used services like Paychex Business Solutions or TriNet (I guess they're called PEO). So the employees are 'virtual' employees of one of those companies and bundle together all the companies they manage for health insurance and related matters. Not sure how bad the overhead is on something like that.

9. flyingron

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    1099 or employee doesn't change whether it is a company or not. I can hire four guys to work for me as a sole proprietorship. The use of the word company (other than oddly "and company") implies a corporation. Sole proprietorships and corporations can have employees or independent contractors. The nature of the relationship is what determines if someone is legitimately an employee or not.