A&P Rates

Lastly if more pilots took an interest in their aircraft in how it works and inspecting their aircraft, they would understand the cost of maintenance.
Guess I'm lucky, everyone in my circle of friends is into high quality maintenance for there plane. If I don't have the hardware Joe, Branden, Tall Joe, Phil, Allen has it or the tool you are looking for. Several A&P's/IA's all friends myself included and we always help each other out. Some are professional pilots and some are private pilots, we all enjoy aviation

Guess I'm lucky, everyone in my circle of friends is into high quality maintenance for there plane.
In my experience, I don't think its as much as luck as it is the "camaraderie" of aviation community that still exists widespread in your state, especially given the importance of aviation there. In the lower 48 it still does exist in a number of areas but that "common interest" as been in slow decline for the past 25 years or so. Having the opportunity to see both regions on a regular basis makes it even more clear how things are changing down here.

One of the downsides are those owners that believe maintenance is overblown and mostly unneeded, is when something happens and reality bites them in the azz, and they find out that those years of neglected maintenance is about to be a bill of tens of thousands of dollars.

And of course, they blame the “greedy mechanic” that breaks the news to them.

I think you nailed it again. Just because you personally can’t handle the required responsibility doesn’t mean everyone else is the same. Quite a few owners accept and handle that owner responsibility with minimal issues. Even your hero, Mike Busch, states being an owner comes with that regulatory responsibility and it’s the owner who manages the APIAs and not the FAA like you believe.

But given you’re so steadfast in your lack of ability to fulfill that responsibility, by your own words, perhaps it’s time for you to get out of aircraft ownership and just rent. This would relieve you of that responsibility before you set yourself up to fail. Something to think about.;)

What a crock of crap.

All I've said is that the requirement is silly.

If I told you that you had a "responsibility" to build, maintain, fix, and inspect something you don't know how to do, you hire professionals to do it and have to trust them in the end. If they're regulated you also have to trust their regulators.

I've not changed any of your many words on the topic. I've said they're a "duh" topic. Anybody who owns an airplane already knows them. And that the majority of owners do their best. I've also said the fleet of machines 30 years old or more on the ramp that fly daily here seem to indicate there's not really the magnitude of problem you grouse about.

Think all the bizjet fractional owners know their 'FAA responsibility" to maintaining their aircraft? Sure. Duh. They hire someone to handle it. They know jack all about turning a wrench. FAA ain't quizzing Warren Buffett on the details of a jet engine.

You seem to want some higher standard applied to the smaller aircraft owners.

I'd they're hiring the local shop and looking over the work as best as they know how as non-professionals, maybe even hiring someone like MB to look over the work also, that's reality. Doesn't matter what anybody says they are supposedly supposed to do with untrained and unqualified eyes to do so.

You're heavily hung up on MB. I can take him or leave him. In the end he's just another mechanic I don't know from Adam. Just like the mechanics my big shop hires. The big shop has mechanics come and go constantly. We deal with the front end guys who've been there for thirty years and sometimes they sign the book, sometimes the people they hire sign the book. The signatures mean the same thing to me.

Part of it is just "welcome to the big airport". The big shops don't want anybody poking around their full hangars and two months of backlogged airplanes inside. They're definitely not running owner mechanic schools.

If they recommend maintenance or fixes we tell em to do it. My lifetime of wrenching on cars non-professionally ***might*** give me a hint if one is making up crap, but if they say the combobulator needs replacing, I'll be hitting the books looking up a combobulator.

The non-mechanical owner who just showed up in his Tesla and wouldn't know a 10mm socket from a pair of vice-grips? Laughable if the FAA thinks they know anything about fixing their Cirrus.

Maybe they'll hire MB to look over their mechanic's shoulder. Maybe they won't. I truly don't care.

I've run into ONE who got sold the song and dance by the Cirrus rental place that he'd make a lot of money leasing back his Cirrus to them if he bought one back when they were starting out and needed a fleet. A few years later more exciting and interesting Cirri were the darlings of their rental fleet and his was sitting around too much. He didn't sound like he had any trouble writing checks for whatever his experts recommended on his.

That's pretty much reality for at least one large group of owners. He's no mechanic and never will be. Never touched a wrench in his life. Zero difficulty writing checks in any amount for whatever the experts want to do. He's relying on the system and multiple sign offs and the other owners he knows for advice.

Same thing with any new students at the flight school. On the day FAA hands them a private certificate they know the same bare minimum standard about aircraft wrenching that Cirrus guy does. Maybe they got lucky and got the instructor who goes above and beyond the stsndard, maybe they didn't. There's no requirement to show them the inside of a magneto beyond a drawing and a basic understanding of how they work.

They know and are tested by the DPE that they're responsible for accepting the aircraft as aurworthy and know what documents to look at which says it is. They're tested to take a decent look that all the big pieces are in the right places, and any gotcha quirks of the type they flew for the checkride.

After that, they're pretty much on their own. They can go buy whatever they like and hopefully their CFI they do an insurance type checkout with and their mechanic like to teach. And hopefully they're receptive.

Around here mostly what they're going to get is a couple of shops that'll tell them they'll come get the airplane from the hangar and fix it and put it back when they're done. They won't be invited into the maintenance hangar most of the time, and they'll get maybe ten minutes of face time with the lead mechanic if they're lucky. They'll probably talk more to the receptionist about the bill than their mechanic.

If it's REALLY broke or something is about to, they'll get invited into the hangar and the mechanic will point at things they don't understand as well as the mechanic and maybe they'll get it, maybe they won't. As long as they nod and smile and write the check, there's no test to see if they actually get it.

Like I said, welcome to the big airport. I've flown out of smaller airports here where you might actually know the names of the two mechanics on the field. And had the airplane fixed at a few of those also. Same problem. I don't know them from Adam. I can look up an exploded diagram of the system and apply what I know from outside aviation to it.

The average non-mechanic owner... They might understand it, they might not. If they run into someone like you who wants to teach, great. If not, they're trusting the system. Maybe they like calling MBs company for a warm fuzzy too. I don't care.

Warren Buffett doesn't know how to fix a turbine. Never will. FAA can call him "responsible" for it all they like. Doesn't change what he knows.

In my case I usually know what's broken and usually could easily fix it myself. The gasket thing is a good example. I need a magical signature to do it. So I don't. Instead I wait two months for the place with the magical safety signature people to come get the airplane and pay them.

My airport literally bans independent A&Ps from operating on the field without paying them an annual business fee. So the mythical nice old guy who operates out of his truck and teaches pilots things either doesn't exist or is doing it illegally. Either they have a business license to be on the airport and paid the airport authority their minor ransom, or they aren't supposed to be there.

It ain't much money (couple hundred bucks a year last I checked) but if we want to talk about cheap... Nobody does it.

Heck if I found that magical mythological teaching mechanic who would come to the hangar and teach us everything he knew while fixing the airplane, I'd pay the $200 if he'd file the paperwork. It ain't about the money.

An I sure the four twenty somethings who bought a clapped out Skyhawk together in another State and are all flying the crap out if it to go chase their big jet dreams after filling their logbooks with time probably aren't willing to hire the old guy or pay his way on to the airport? Sure. They're not a majority of owners around here. Hell, they're probably flying the airplane broken and unairworthy to Kansas to find a cheaper shop rate too.

I don't argue that there's bad owners out there. I argue there's far more "average" ones who have no idea what they're supposed to do other than call up the two local mega shops and wait a couple months for a gasket replacement when they find a fuel leak.

They're not important enough on the mega shop schedule to get any better. Some mini-Warren Buffet's crew can get their airplane in and done tonight to depart tomorrow morning and that owner doesn't know dick all about that airplane.

Does the field need another shop? Probably. Been 30 years and nobody's built one. I'm going with "not gonna happen"...

Would I pay a new shop more than the existing ones? Maybe. I'm sure Cirrus/Tesla guy might too, but he'll lose even more money on his magic money making leaseback. If he didn't sell the plane already.

If you're out there educating pilots on stuff, great. It ain't the norm nor required by anybody other than FAA PRETENDING Cirrus/Tesla guy knows what he's doing in a shop. He doesn't.

MB for all his faults at least offers owners someone who claims to educate. He's no John Frank but John is dead and ain't coming back.

John taught quite a few of us Cessna owners a bunch of things. Hands on, with the cowl and inspection plates off. When I met him there was a whole hangar full of us willing to write him a check to do so.

Money isn't the problem for most owners. It just isn't. Fire up some classes and whole bunches of us will come visit weekly. We don't know what we don't know. FAA can pretend they taught us all they like. Doesn't make it magically turn into reality.

What an inane rambling diatribe. :rolleyes:
Yes the statement that it's a serious problem that owners won't spend money and that they're mechanical experts both really were.

Good that you finally admitted it's not really the sky is falling problem that you two claimed it is.

The general public can show up for an intro flight on any given day and feel plenty safe that the vast majority of even the beat down rental fleet in the least profitable sector of aviation will be maintained well enough to bring them back to the airport in an hour.

Even when the entire fleet is on leaseback and the flight school relies on all private owners and their vast mechanical knowledge to accomplish the necessary maintenance.

40+ years of spamcans getting 100 hour inspections and flying daily. 30 years of me seeing them on the same ramp doing it.

Almost none hurting anybody from all the sky is falling predictions of anonymous internet posters saying their owners didn't spend enough money on them or don't understand their maintenance responsibilities.

But it's fun to pretend yall even have a documentable set of numbers showing it. Online anyway.

The majority of the fleet do maintenance as needed and have the same dispatch rate they had the day the aircraft arrived on the ramp from Wichita. And no particularly higher in flight failure rates of anything critical.

Cirrus/Tesla guy pays his mechanics. They do magic he doesn't understand and his airplane flies just fine.

All I've said is that the requirement is silly.

If I told you that you had a "responsibility" to build, maintain, fix, and inspect something you don't know how to do, you hire professionals to do it and have to trust them in the end. If they're regulated you also have to trust their regulators.

I've not changed any of your many words on the topic. I've said they're a "duh" topic. Anybody who owns an airplane already knows them. And that the majority of owners do their best. I've also said the fleet of machines 30 years old or more on the ramp that fly daily here seem to indicate there's not really the magnitude of problem you grouse about.

Think all the bizjet fractional owners know their 'FAA responsibility" to maintaining their aircraft? Sure. Duh. They hire someone to handle it. They know jack all about turning a wrench. FAA ain't quizzing Warren Buffett on the details of a jet engine.

You seem to want some higher standard applied to the smaller aircraft owners.

I'd they're hiring the local shop and looking over the work as best as they know how as non-professionals, maybe even hiring someone like MB to look over the work also, that's reality. Doesn't matter what anybody says they are supposedly supposed to do with untrained and unqualified eyes to do so.

You're heavily hung up on MB. I can take him or leave him. In the end he's just another mechanic I don't know from Adam. Just like the mechanics my big shop hires. The big shop has mechanics come and go constantly. We deal with the front end guys who've been there for thirty years and sometimes they sign the book, sometimes the people they hire sign the book. The signatures mean the same thing to me.

Part of it is just "welcome to the big airport". The big shops don't want anybody poking around their full hangars and two months of backlogged airplanes inside. They're definitely not running owner mechanic schools.

If they recommend maintenance or fixes we tell em to do it. My lifetime of wrenching on cars non-professionally ***might*** give me a hint if one is making up crap, but if they say the combobulator needs replacing, I'll be hitting the books looking up a combobulator.

The non-mechanical owner who just showed up in his Tesla and wouldn't know a 10mm socket from a pair of vice-grips? Laughable if the FAA thinks they know anything about fixing their Cirrus.

Maybe they'll hire MB to look over their mechanic's shoulder. Maybe they won't. I truly don't care.

I've run into ONE who got sold the song and dance by the Cirrus rental place that he'd make a lot of money leasing back his Cirrus to them if he bought one back when they were starting out and needed a fleet. A few years later more exciting and interesting Cirri were the darlings of their rental fleet and his was sitting around too much. He didn't sound like he had any trouble writing checks for whatever his experts recommended on his.

That's pretty much reality for at least one large group of owners. He's no mechanic and never will be. Never touched a wrench in his life. Zero difficulty writing checks in any amount for whatever the experts want to do. He's relying on the system and multiple sign offs and the other owners he knows for advice.

Same thing with any new students at the flight school. On the day FAA hands them a private certificate they know the same bare minimum standard about aircraft wrenching that Cirrus guy does. Maybe they got lucky and got the instructor who goes above and beyond the stsndard, maybe they didn't. There's no requirement to show them the inside of a magneto beyond a drawing and a basic understanding of how they work.

They know and are tested by the DPE that they're responsible for accepting the aircraft as aurworthy and know what documents to look at which says it is. They're tested to take a decent look that all the big pieces are in the right places, and any gotcha quirks of the type they flew for the checkride.

After that, they're pretty much on their own. They can go buy whatever they like and hopefully their CFI they do an insurance type checkout with and their mechanic like to teach. And hopefully they're receptive.

Around here mostly what they're going to get is a couple of shops that'll tell them they'll come get the airplane from the hangar and fix it and put it back when they're done. They won't be invited into the maintenance hangar most of the time, and they'll get maybe ten minutes of face time with the lead mechanic if they're lucky. They'll probably talk more to the receptionist about the bill than their mechanic.

If it's REALLY broke or something is about to, they'll get invited into the hangar and the mechanic will point at things they don't understand as well as the mechanic and maybe they'll get it, maybe they won't. As long as they nod and smile and write the check, there's no test to see if they actually get it.

Like I said, welcome to the big airport. I've flown out of smaller airports here where you might actually know the names of the two mechanics on the field. And had the airplane fixed at a few of those also. Same problem. I don't know them from Adam. I can look up an exploded diagram of the system and apply what I know from outside aviation to it.

The average non-mechanic owner... They might understand it, they might not. If they run into someone like you who wants to teach, great. If not, they're trusting the system. Maybe they like calling MBs company for a warm fuzzy too. I don't care.

Warren Buffett doesn't know how to fix a turbine. Never will. FAA can call him "responsible" for it all they like. Doesn't change what he knows.

In my case I usually know what's broken and usually could easily fix it myself. The gasket thing is a good example. I need a magical signature to do it. So I don't. Instead I wait two months for the place with the magical safety signature people to come get the airplane and pay them.

My airport literally bans independent A&Ps from operating on the field without paying them an annual business fee. So the mythical nice old guy who operates out of his truck and teaches pilots things either doesn't exist or is doing it illegally. Either they have a business license to be on the airport and paid the airport authority their minor ransom, or they aren't supposed to be there.

It ain't much money (couple hundred bucks a year last I checked) but if we want to talk about cheap... Nobody does it.

Heck if I found that magical mythological teaching mechanic who would come to the hangar and teach us everything he knew while fixing the airplane, I'd pay the $200 if he'd file the paperwork. It ain't about the money.

An I sure the four twenty somethings who bought a clapped out Skyhawk together in another State and are all flying the crap out if it to go chase their big jet dreams after filling their logbooks with time probably aren't willing to hire the old guy or pay his way on to the airport? Sure. They're not a majority of owners around here. Hell, they're probably flying the airplane broken and unairworthy to Kansas to find a cheaper shop rate too.

I don't argue that there's bad owners out there. I argue there's far more "average" ones who have no idea what they're supposed to do other than call up the two local mega shops and wait a couple months for a gasket replacement when they find a fuel leak.

They're not important enough on the mega shop schedule to get any better. Some mini-Warren Buffet's crew can get their airplane in and done tonight to depart tomorrow morning and that owner doesn't know dick all about that airplane.

Does the field need another shop? Probably. Been 30 years and nobody's built one. I'm going with "not gonna happen"...

Would I pay a new shop more than the existing ones? Maybe. I'm sure Cirrus/Tesla guy might too, but he'll lose even more money on his magic money making leaseback. If he didn't sell the plane already.

If you're out there educating pilots on stuff, great. It ain't the norm nor required by anybody other than FAA PRETENDING Cirrus/Tesla guy knows what he's doing in a shop. He doesn't.

MB for all his faults at least offers owners someone who claims to educate. He's no John Frank but John is dead and ain't coming back.

John taught quite a few of us Cessna owners a bunch of things. Hands on, with the cowl and inspection plates off. When I met him there was a whole hangar full of us willing to write him a check to do so.

Money isn't the problem for most owners. It just isn't. Fire up some classes and whole bunches of us will come visit weekly. We don't know what we don't know. FAA can pretend they taught us all they like. Doesn't make it magically turn into reality.
What a crock of crap.
My thoughts exactly.:rolleyes:

But if you don't want to believe that 91.403 and 91.405 define an owners regulatory responsibility, or that some owners purposely do not want to spend money on the their aircraft and seek out APIAs who will comply with their requests, so be it. Not much more that I can add. ;)

The FAA puts the responsibility on the owner/operator to make sure that the aircraft is maintained as required. The responsibility for doing any maintenance requested to a certain standard is on the mechanic. How could it be otherwise and why all the fuss and feathers?

So if I understand this, the FAA requires owners to know everything there is about their airplanes and to know whether or not the A&P/IA performed the work correctly by inspecting what the mechanic did, but we aren't actually allowed to perform and sign off on the work that we are approving? Got it. What's the point of an A&P/IA signature then if final inspection/approval still falls on the owner? We as owners know nothing, but are supposed to know everything? That's some great logic there.

So if I understand this, the FAA requires owners to know everything there is about their airplanes and to know whether or not the A&P/IA performed the work correctly by inspecting what the mechanic did, but we aren't actually allowed to perform and sign off on the work that we are approving? Got it. What's the point of an A&P/IA signature then if final inspection/approval still falls on the owner? We as owners know nothing, but are supposed to know everything? That's some great logic there.

See post #128

Oh come now! Did you just need to get that straw man off your chest? :) You are generally a pretty rational contributor here. Do you have any evidence that the FAA has ever interpreted its rules to require the owner/operator to be responsible for the quality of the work actually done and signed off by an A&P? That would be nonsensical. Just as nonsensical as holding me responsible if the owner of one of the planes I annualed last year, over flies a repetitive AD, or over flies his/her next annual.

Oh come now! Did you just need to get that straw man off your chest? :) You are generally a pretty rational contributor here. Do you have any evidence that the FAA has ever interpreted its rules to require the owner/operator to be responsible for the quality of the work actually done and signed off by an A&P? That would be nonsensical. Just as nonsensical as holding me responsible if the owner of one of the planes I annualed last year, over flies a repetitive AD, or over flies his/her next annual.

I was just extrapolating based on what some other posters were saying. :D
I actually do have PA24 mx/mod question for you, PM incoming.

I was just extrapolating based on what some other posters were saying. :D
I actually do have PA24 mx/mod question for you, PM incoming.

If one is going to extrapolate, best not start with the craziest post you can find in the thread. Just makes you look crazy. :D

So if I understand this, the FAA requires owners to know everything there is about their airplanes and to know whether or not the A&P/IA performed the work correctly by inspecting what the mechanic did,
As mentioned above, you’re drilling it down too far. The owner’s responsibility is no different than a mechanic’s responsibility when installing a store bought engine. The mechanic is only responsible for the external work performed and not the internal work on the engine. Same with the owner’s “external” airworthiness responsibility with a mechanic.

Provided the owner ensures the maintenance work performed meets the requirements of Part 21, 43, and 91, at the oversight level vs the task level, then there will be no problems. Now if the owner has the intent of not following that guidance, as in a “pencil-whipped annual” example, then the owner AND the APIA have fault.

Now in the case where the owner does his due diligence and ensures the mechanic followed the guidance in Part 21, 43, and 91, e.g., used approved parts, used the appropriate reference like 43 App D, performed the correct inspection, entered the applicable record entry, etc., and that APIA missed a cracked spar for any reason, then only the APIA is violated as Part 43 is a performance based regulation. However, if the APIA also missed a recurrent AD requirement then per 91.403 the owner is back on the hook along with the APIA for the AD.

Bottom-line, if an owner follows the conditions in Block 6 on the AWC and both 91.403 and 91.405 he meets the majority of his regulatory airworthy responsibilities in most cases. Anything short of that starts themselves down the proverbial slippery slope.

I must say, I'm a bit surprised at the level of contention in this thread. Some of it may be well-founded, but there are certainly some common misconceptions in both directions.

I've been a mechanic for a 135, managed a 145, worked for two other 145s, and ultimately ended up independent. That whole time I was also a pilot.

Disclaimer: I've never owned an airplane.

But I did see an abundance of owners that fit some of these stereotypes you've all mentioned. The impatient ones with deep pockets, the friendly safety-conscious, the friendly-until-invoice dudes, the ones that just simply don't understand aviation but they could "afford" an airplane and "got a great deal" on the hangar queen with no logbooks and obvious botched airframe repairs etc.

But I'd say, at least in my own experience, there is no shortage of owners expecting you to accept an insulting rate.

The conversation usually begins when they see work you've done on someone else's bird so they seek you out and say something like, "I saw what you did on so and so's airplane. I've got a (insert crappy ubiquitous neglect-a-bird from the 60s or 70s) and I need (insert some task that isn't in the appendices). What would you charge for something like that?"

You tell them your rate or even a job figure and this is the important part: the next phrase out of their mouth will usually be something like, "what if I supply my own parts?"

Here's what I've learned: when that question is their immediate return salvo, you can save a lot of time and headache by responding with a higher number. That'll confuse them for a second.

If the little hourglass in their eye really starts struggling to figure out what you mean, that's when I explain that while I don't make much on parts (if any) the odds are pretty high that you'll bring me parts from the following categories:
A. eBay crap with no traceability or documentation
B. An experimental version of an FAA PMA part
C. An approved part with an 8130 that just isn't applicable to your serial number because you just Googled "crappy ubiquitous neglect-a-bird from the 60s or 70s starter" and bought the cheapest one that looked right to your eyes.
I'll say, "you're welcome to bring me parts for your airplane, but just know that it could slow the process if I have to source them for you after the fact. I will, of course, call you if that becomes necessary."

This type of early exchange is very important because it helps me to read the prospective customer. How did they sound or even look when we spoke? Were they understanding of my position? Did it appear that they hadn't considered such a scenario? Were they receptive to my cautionary scenario? If so, there may be hope for a relationship.

Sometimes, they are not receptive and that's just fine. I'm not the mechanic for them and they aren't a customer I with whom I'd want to encumber myself.

Another thing I've learned is that it's really hard to work for friends. I avoid it as best I can. However, part of being a good friend is helping a friend in need. If it's an emergency or I can tell they just don't trust the other guy, I'll do my best to help.

To date, there is but one friend I've ever had that is great to work with and I believe that's because he was first a customer of one of the repair stations at which I worked. After his (large) avionics job was complete, we forged a friendship and still grab beers together. We fly when we can, and occasionally he has me work on his bird.

I suppose I've spent so long on the maintenance side of things that I may have a harder time seeing things through the customer's eyes, but I do really try to educate without condescending to them. In essence, my litmus test for new customers is to try and gauge their knowledge, risk tolerance, and hopefully find that thirst for learning in them. I find that I learn a lot from people that are humble enough to try and learn from me. In that respect, sometimes I get a better deal than they do.

As for the pay/wage debate: I'm going back to flying and I'll fill gaps with the wrench.

You tell them your rate or even a job figure and this is the important part: the next phrase out of their mouth will usually be something like, "what if I supply my own parts?"

Here's what I've learned: when that question is their immediate return salvo, you can save a lot of time and headache by responding with a higher number. That'll confuse them for a second.

as an aside, anyone remember the joke about the plumber's rates... something along the lines of $100/hour, but $200/hour if the homeowner helps.

Back