A&P and Post-Mx test flights

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
If an A&P (who only holds a PPL certificate) performs work on an aircraft and does a post-maintenance flight to make sure the aircraft is functioning properly, would 61.113 apply? Unless the pilot pays the operating expenses of the flight, which as defined in 61.113 to be “fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees" than 61.113(a) is being violated because "no person who holds a private pilot certificate may.....for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft. Or would the A&P just be fulfilling his duties as a mechanic? Maybe this is why most individuals fly with the mechanic after a repair is made? More gray area within the regs.

sigh.

looks like ryanb IS tom.
Discussing what PPL holders can and cannot do in another thread recently, brought this question to mind.

Last edited:
Someone at our shop flew ours, I never knew who! There was never a separate charge for "test flight", and total time was never as much as an hour on the clock.

Tom started a thread almost identical to this a month or two ago; I think it was in the hangar talk section. I quit looking at it after a while but you can probably guess how it went.

Tom started a thread almost identical to this a month or two ago; I think it was in the hangar talk section. I quit looking at it after a while but you can probably guess how it went.
I just looked at his thread history and don’t see this subject anywhere...

Okay, well going further into his history I see this, which is basically along the same lines..

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/a-p-compensation.112860/

I’m usually in the ‘don’t ask—don’t tell’ camp, but I was just curious on the actual legality of this because I know a lot of people do it.

There's a CC opinion which says it's ok. Probably a better source than SGOTI. I will post an excerpt below but the entire text can be found here.

"The scenario you present is a mechanic who, as part of his duties, conducts flight tests after performing maintenance on the aircraft, and does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire. The mechanic holds a private pilot certificate with a valid third class medical certificate. This situation is covered under § 61.113(b), which states that, "[a] private pilot may, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if (1) the flight is only incidental to that business or employment and (2) the aircraft does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire." As these flight tests are incidental to his employment as a mechanic, the mechanic is not in violation of § 61.113 when conducting these flight tests."

There's a CC opinion which says it's ok. Probably a better source than SGOTI. I will post an excerpt below but the entire text can be found here.

"The scenario you present is a mechanic who, as part of his duties, conducts flight tests after performing maintenance on the aircraft, and does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire. The mechanic holds a private pilot certificate with a valid third class medical certificate. This situation is covered under § 61.113(b), which states that, "[a] private pilot may, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if (1) the flight is only incidental to that business or employment and (2) the aircraft does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire." As these flight tests are incidental to his employment as a mechanic, the mechanic is not in violation of § 61.113 when conducting these flight tests."
Not sure how I missed that when I was researching this topic, but that answers it.

Yeah, that's in the second link in my post. *shrug*

It was also referenced in Post # 24 of the thread that Ryan linked in post # 8 of this thread. And I believe that I referenced it in at least one other thread since joining POA for a total now of at least three times. So your point was? :p

No point, I guess. Still figuring out how things work around here. I'll try to type less and read more.

LOL. Just teasing you. I completely missed your posted links. Well actually I saw them but they didn't look like links to the CC opinion so I didn't click on them. They do lead there so good job. As far as reading more and typing less, this is POA, we don't allow that. ;)

True dat! We’re gonna do it again too...........eventually!

The two I have been to were the one at BQ1 which was last fall and the one at GMU which was last December. Can't believe it's been that long since a plan came together for me to make it to another. Your idea for KDKX was great as was eman's idea for KCUB but weather and such just didn't cooperate. Bummers.

The two I have been to were the one at BQ1 which was last fall and the one at GMU which was last December. Can't believe it's been that long since a plan came together for me to make it to another. Your idea for KDKX was great as was eman's idea for KCUB but weather and such just didn't cooperate. Bummers.
Yeah I was actually thinking about that the other day. It’s been close to a year already since we did GMU. I’m hoping the stars will align for us to do a repeat, so we’ll see. If not a DKX trip would be fun!

Oh brother. :rolleyes:

C’mon Dave...

Last edited:
Oh, I'll give you a break. Pick one.

typical_fractures.jpg

:D

Back