A nice little IFR flight KASE-KAPA

No clue. WAM is a technology, and fairly specific as a name. Secondary surveillance radar probably means something in FAA speak but sounds much more generic to me. One could even call WAM a "secondary surveillance radar" I suppose, but FAA likes names like that to mean something, so I'd have to ask the radar ops guy I know, if it stands for a specific system type.
Yea, the reason I ask is I'm 100% sure Aspen is single-site secondary surveillance radar (SSR) only and is not a candidate for WAM. The antenna is on one of the mountain tops north and slightly west of the airport. I just wasn't sure if they started to refer to SSR as WAM.

Interesting. That's new-ish. They used to act like those were classified.

Of course, they're also mostly useless. They show shapes and altitudes, but there isn't a scale printed on them nor are there any landmarks whatsoever, so you still can't tell what the MVA is in a particular area unless you match up terrain and obstacles on the sectional with some of the higher-altitude sectors.

Interesting. That's new-ish. They used to act like those were classified.

Of course, they're also mostly useless. They show shapes and altitudes, but there isn't a scale printed on them nor are there any landmarks whatsoever, so you still can't tell what the MVA is in a particular area unless you match up terrain and obstacles on the sectional with some of the higher-altitude sectors.

Pretty sure an ATC'er would be able to tell immediately what the scale and centerpoint is.
Should be an easy project to match that with a sectional for someone with a bit of time.

The AIXM files contain lat/long data, but are not (yet?) available for all sectors.

Back