A new level of jerk-dom amongst pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
I would not have thought it possible for me to post anything surprising about motel guests. After 9 years in the business, I thought I had seen everything.

The fact that this situation involves a couple of pilots has truly blown me away. I share this tale partly as catharsis, and partly as warning -- if you didn't already know it, there are people out there who will screw you in every possible way.

The story started pleasantly enough. This morning the pilot called to inquire about our new motel. He'd heard about us on the internet (perhaps here?), and wanted to check us out. My desk gal, Victoria, explained the way our courtesy car worked (it's parked at the airport, keys under the mat), and that we give you the make, model and license plate of the vehicle once you make a reservation. After that, the car is yours to use during your stay, within reason.

The guy thanked Victoria, saying he wasn't sure if they could make it, but it would be two single rooms for two nights.

This evening, the guy called back. Their trip was on. In fact, they were on the island, at the airport. Mary (trusting soul that she is) didn't get a guaranteed reservation, since the guy sounded nice and was just down the road from us. She did get his name and phone number, and he said he'd be "right over".

Being a Wednesday night in the off-season, Mary quickly hustled to "unpickle" our two best rooms. ("Pickling" means A/C off, fridge unplugged; we save over $1000 per MONTH in electric bills at our Iowa motel by doing this.)

45 minutes went by, and no joy on the pilots. Odd, since the airport is just 3 minutes away. We figured they stopped for dinner, though, no biggie.

30 minutes later, the guy called. They "drove past the place, and decided they wanted to stay on the water instead". (We are 6 blocks from the water, in any of three directions.)

The guy then stated that they were "at dinner" -- WITH OUR CAR.

Mary laughed (instead of screaming, I suspect), and told the guy that, no, he could NOT use our courtesy car if he wasn't a guest at our motel. The guy actually then had the balls to say "Well, we've just ordered our food -- we'll return it when we're done."

Mary, for the first time in years, was left speechless. What do you say to such a person? What CAN you say?

I, on the other hand, was apoplectic. First, I was angry at Mary for breaking protocol and lending our car to someone without getting a credit card number. Second, I was angry (and ashamed) that any pilot could be such a complete jerk. I've made a career on the fact that pilots are a cut above the general population, and it truly hurt to be slapped so hard.

I asked Mary to call the guy back, and tell him in no uncertain terms that we wanted our car back, pronto. He refused (of course), but she was able to find out what restaurant he was at -- and it was just down the street from us.

Resolving to fix the guy, I decided to drive down to the restaurant and repo our courtesy car. I gleefully pictured the guy coming out after a few beers, only to find an empty parking lot...

Well, I got there, and my car was chock-full of his luggage. My choices were (a) go into the restaurant and make a scene, or (b) dump the jerk's luggage in the parking lot and drive away.

Gritting my teeth, I opted for (c) -- go home and have a beer.

I have no idea what kind of upbringing or abuse could produce a human being like this, but I am thankful that of the thousands of pilots who have stayed at our motels over the years, these were the first who had the chutzpah to take our car, KEEP our car, and then NOT stay at our motel.

I hope those pilots weren't Texans... I'd be positively ashamed of 'em.

Ryan

Too bad you couldn't buzz the restaurant, using HIS airplane! (call him on the cellphone, "hey pal, look up!")

Jay you are a better man than I. I would have unloaded his bag in the lot, gone into the restaurant told him his bag were in the lot and left.

I bet you could find the guys Tail number post it and let POAers contact him and let him know what a sleaze ball he is.

I would've dumped his luggage in the parking lot, no questions asked.

What he did is just plain WRONG.

Typing as a pilot who has used Jay's, et.als. car, dump the bags and go. If they take the car they agree to pay for a nights stay. Quid pro quo.

I'm sorry. But, even though the guy appears to be a jerk, I don't think what he's done is truly beyond the pale. I mean, he did call you to say that he'd changed his mind.
Yes - he's using your car and should not be, as he's decided not to stay at your hotel. But, as of your post, he hasn't done any great or irreparable harm.
I don't think it's a new level of jerkdom. And, if this is the worst you've seen as a hotel owner, I think you've had it easy.

Probably best that you went home and had a beer.

Of course, I'm looking forward to the rest of the story...
And, hope it works out that this is the worst of his transgressions.

Forgive me, Father, for I have used a courtesy car to which I am no longer entitled after changing my mind. I should have turned around and headed right back to the airport the minute I decided to stay elsewhere.

I too vote for "dump the bags in the parking lot."
I always thought that there was a real, unwritten tradition of camaraderie amongst pilots... and there almost always is, excepting those two miserable douchenozzles.

Jay.. revenge can be sweet... but I applaud you for taking option C.

One of the things that has impressed me is the rate and prevalence of civility and honor amongst pilots. Camping at OSH proved that to me... I wouldn't dare trust campers on the riverfront or the beach nearly like I would with a bunch of pilots.

But there are always a few who just dont get it.. Karma's a *****. One day they will meet her. If they take advantage of you, they will take advantage of others, and after a while they will find themselves needing help with nobody willing to offer it..

Not only was it wrong, the varmint stole your horse. And in Texas, that's a hangin' offense!

But on a more pragmatic approach, I would have called the cops and reported the car stolen.

I would have repo'd the car, luggage and all. Or better yet, just call the police to have them recover the stolen car.
It proves you are a better man than I. I trust they do return the car in the morning.

It's hard to describe...ya show up some where 800 miles from home...ya gas up...ya tie down...ya walk over to the car and everything is as described...ya drive over to your plane, load yer bags...drive to the hotel...and it all just works. Heck of a lot of trust and performance.

Why would anyone screw that up? What can you say other than please don't let one bad guy ruin it for the rest of us...

Sorry to hear about it, Jay. Hope it doesn't sour you on the rest of us. Too many privileges and courtesies disappear after knuckleheads take advantage of them.

Dunno about dumping their stuff in the lot myself, but reporting it stolen might have been entertaining.

Our state department of transportation has granted a number of airports across the state with courtesy cars. There is no requirement to stay anywhere. But, there is a lot of trust also for its use. I love the concept of a car potentially being available to any pilot at a little used airport even though they are older cars. I have never used one, but look forward to being able to someday.

For a privately owned courtesy car, it sounds like a lesson learned. Change your policy that it is courtesy only with a room, or else it becomes a rental. Then treat it as such and don't release it until you have your written agreement. Or, as a condition of picking it up, they must sign it out agreeing to your terms. If it isn't signed out accordingly, and is taken, then it is obviously stolen.

Sorry to hear about it, Jay. Hope it doesn't sour you on the rest of us. Too many privileges and courtesies disappear after knuckleheads take advantage of them.

Dunno about dumping their stuff in the lot myself, but reporting it stolen might have been entertaining.

Only it wasn't stolen. In Texas, what you have just described is "unauthorized usage".. which is IS a State Jail Felony (6 mos to 2 years confinement, with up to $10k fine). Once he was notified he was no longer authorized to use the vehicle he could have returned it or surrendered it.

You should put a notice in the car, a placard, that use of the car is for reserved hotel guests only. They sell key-boxes that you can put on the window.. that use combination locks.. that you can change combos from time to time...

Jay.. I'd say put a tracker on it.. You could even get a ham license and install one that runs on HAM freqs. Then you never have to LOOK for it, and know if its moving.. and where it is.

Paid tracker service might cost a bit.. the HAM stuff.. once you own the gear its free...

An example of how it looks can be found here: http://aprs.fi/?call=k5efd-9&dt=1287273600&mt=roadmap&z=11&timerange=3600

Click on the "select date" links to see where my particular tracker has been. Most of my beacons are associated with charity bike rides that we work while on HAM radio freqs.. This tracker can also be used by planes. All it takes is a HAM license and a couple hundred bucks of gear.

Last edited:
His loss Jay, not staying at your Most Excellent Haven of Rest.

You took the high road, which was admirable, and the right call.

Still. What a dick.

Only it wasn't stolen. In Texas, what you have just described is "unauthorized usage".. which is IS a State Jail Felony (6 mos to 2 years confinement, with up to $10k fine). Once he was notified he was no longer authorized to use the vehicle he could have returned it or surrendered it.

You should put a notice in the car, a placard, that use of the car is for reserved hotel guests only. They sell key-boxes that you can put on the window.. that use combination locks.. that you can change combos from time to time...

Jay.. I'd say put a tracker on it.. You could even get a ham license and install one that runs on HAM freqs. Then you never have to LOOK for it, and know if its moving.. and where it is.

Paid tracker service might cost a bit.. the HAM stuff.. once you own the gear its free...

An example of how it looks can be found here: http://aprs.fi/?call=k5efd-9&dt=1287273600&mt=roadmap&z=11&timerange=3600

Click on the "select date" links to see where my particular tracker has been. Most of my beacons are associated with charity bike rides that we work while on HAM radio freqs.. This tracker can also be used by planes. All it takes is a HAM license and a couple hundred bucks of gear.

How big is the HAM transmitter? Would it fit on a motorcycle? Reckon you could point me to a link about these things? This is very interesting.
Thank you sir.

Louisiana is the same way. In any case two county mounties interrupting the miscreants' dinner would have been most satisfying to watch. No need to press charges; the entertainment of a police-supervised unloading in public would be worth whatever angst those two gave you. Is there cab service, or would they have had to hitchhike to the "place on the water"?

I think your existing procedures are fine; just follow them.

Are these corporate jocks? Find out who they work for and write their boss a polite, professional letter regarding the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would have opted for option "D". Pulled the coil wire.

I think I would have opted for option "D". Pulled the coil wire.

HAH! That would have been an interesting phone call. "Your car won't start. Can you come pick us up?"

They probably would have run the battery down to molten slag, though. :(

I am waiting to see if Jay updates us on the details. Hopefully he won't say the -ssholes got drunk and wrecked his car..:fcross:

I don't think it's a new level of jerkdom. And, if this is the worst you've seen as a hotel owner, I think you've had it easy.

Yeah, you're still a hotel business cherry until you've had to clean up after your first dead hooker....:incazzato:

The answer was to take the car WITH the guy's luggage and use it for ransom to get adequete compensation from him for use of the car. :devil:

Once the guy pulls this stupid stunt, I wouldn't recommend having him stay in the hotel....just in case he decides to try to "get even" by trashing the room.

It's not worth it.

I think you should have brought the gentleman's luggage back to his room, but make sure he pre-paid the room before he got the key.

What he did was Grand Theft Auto and I would have reported it to the police as such. He took your car under false pretenses.

RT

Jay did the right think. Being a Jerk back doesn't do anything.

Simplest way to disable the car would have been "the club". BUt then your still being a Jerk.

Since you didn't have the reservation, per protocol and does not sound like thre was any real loss due to their using the car, I would've asked them to be sure and fill it when they return it after dinner.

I think getting the credit card number before giving out car details is a damn good idea. I would also refer to it as the rental car, available for $50/day. However, that fee is waived for hotel guests.

I don't believe in the "brotherhood." Most people are good people, and there are always a few who make everyone else look bad. I don't care what group you are talking about. OK, I think that you did the right thing Jay. No use escalating the situation. It is just a car.

Like some have suggested, you could have called the cops and had him charged with operation of motor vehicle without owner's consent. For "Grand Theft Auto" you would have to show that he had no intention of returning the vehicle. Not really the case here. The hassle with calling the cops, is that they are not going to file the charge, you are. It is not their car. They would just facilitate it and take care of the dirty work. In the end you would be involved with it from filing the charge to the court hearings. Personally, I would have filed, but then I've been through it a couple thousand times. Just chock it up as a bad day, move on and keep doing what you've been doing. Don't let one jerk change what has been working for a long time. And please, don't let this one guy change the way you think about the rest of us pilots. :D

Ah yes, Internet Tough GuyTM responses.

I'm with Kent and Spike and am glad you chose option C and vented here instead.

There are two sides to every story, and had you left his bags in the parking lot, his might have been "yeah we talked to the guy's wife and she said it was OK to use the courtesy car and then the crazy husband tracked us down while we had dinner and left our bags outside and they got rained on/stolen/ravaged by rabid raccoons (pick one)."

Jay, you've regaled us with stories of what people have tried to get away with in your business. Add this one to your list. As my dad taught me, once you lose your reputation, you can't get it back.

I think getting the credit card number before giving out car details is a damn good idea. I would also refer to it as the rental car, available for $50/day. However, that fee is waived for hotel guests.

Yabut... auto rental is a licensed business in Texas.

Agreed - The high road isn't the most satisfying one in the short term, but it's still the right one.

Good on you, Jay. :yes:

Wait a minute - Jay took the High Road? Jay got Taken! The crew car is Jay's property, not the airport's if I understand the situation. There was a verbal agreement (lawyers, help me out here) that taking the car was based on the condition that the jerks stay in Jay's hotel.

Analogy - a neighborhood kid offers to cut your lawn, trim the trees, etc. but you need to provide the lawnmower. You agree, leave for work. You come home absolutely nothing has been done to your yard but your next door neighbor's yard is beautiful. You find the kid 3 doors down working on another yard and ask him what's going on...he replies "they offered me more money but I like your lawnmower better, and no, I'm not gonna do your yard, but I'll bring the mower back tonight when I finish all the other yards".

Do you strangle the kid now or later?

So Question #1 is "Did they understand that the car did NOT belong to the airport?" If not, then at least there's some semblance of compassion for them.

Otherwise, absolutely no compassion, no understanding, no high road.

Where's the nearest tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back