A handgun shot at 73,000 fps

LandSickness

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
fri tale
Super cool footage.

Mythbusters joins "Mr. Wizard" and "Bill Nye the Science Guy" in making science cool.

I was really dubious when they announced they were getting rid of the interns, and all the new episodes would focus only on Adam and Jamie, but so far I'm liking the new shows.

I saw that handgun show a few nights ago, and it got me wondering...how the hell does a camera even take 75,000 frames per second? How does that technology work?

I'm going to have to Google that and learn more...

When I saw the headline of the thread, I took fps to be feet per second. I thought, no freakin' way. :lol:

When I saw the headline of the thread, I took fps to be feet per second. I thought, no freakin' way. :lol:

You weren't the only one. I was imagining a .50 cal casing necked all the way down to a .17 cal piece of lead or steel.

I'm a little disappointed I thought for sure I was about to see some new military round or something hahaha. But the video is cool still.

I've long maintained that those guys are having too much fun doing that show and this video is further proof. :yes:

Impressive....:yes:...

Bob Hoover comes to mind...:rolleyes:

What comes to mind is that we bought a bunch of those then parked them in the desert to rot, and after seeing it fly I am trying to figure out why we haven't put them into working inventory.:dunno: Looks pretty handy.

What comes to mind is that we bought a bunch of those then parked them in the desert to rot, and after seeing it fly I am trying to figure out why we haven't put them into working inventory.:dunno: Looks pretty handy.

Agreed.... It is a prop driven A-10...:yes:

They are in the working inventory. USASOC/USASOAC and the USCG are flying them.

...how the hell does a camera even take 75,000 frames per second?...

I think the first step is relieving you of close to a quarter million bucks, they ain't cheap. I'm not sure of the technology but I notice they have big fans and lots of cooling fins. Look up SloMoGuys on YouTube. They've done just about everything you can imagine including splitting watermelons with high powered rifles, shooting guns under water, spinning a CDROM disc until it comes apart, bouncing a soccer ball off a guys face, popping water baloons, setting off airbags, etc, etc, and having a lot of fun doing it. They also show and explain a little bit about the equipment.

How about 1,000,000 FPS. See my link above.

I use this picture when introducing hyperbolas in math:
6Tjo1F2.jpg

Shock waves are hyperbolic, so it's a wonderful example of where those functions are found in life. I always make them guess what the picture is first. Usually, they guess "boat".

That, and nuclear tower cooling towers as well. Hyperbolics tend to make the best cross-section to maximize cooling (probably combined with structural integrity):
JafBcHU.jpg

Probably a really dumb question but is the lead briefly becoming a liquid on impact? Insane to see what looks like a solid chunk of metal flex and wiggle like that.

Probably a really dumb question but is the lead briefly becoming a liquid on impact? Insane to see what looks like a solid chunk of metal flex and wiggle like that.

Can't tell ya if it's actually heating and melting from the impact or just crushing, but metals definitely aren't as solid as we think them to be when subjected to massive force.

I use this picture when introducing hyperbolas in math:

Shock waves are hyperbolic, so it's a wonderful example of where those functions are found in life. I always make them guess what the picture is first. Usually, they guess "boat".

That, and nuclear tower cooling towers as well. Hyperbolics tend to make the best cross-section to maximize cooling (probably combined with structural integrity):

This is POA, we deal in hyperbole, not hyperbolas. Get your act together man!

Back