A couple of questions about Commercial rating...

BrianNC

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
BrianATL
If one gets the single engine commercial rating first, then what is required to add the multi commercial?

And vice versa. If doing the multi commercial first, what would you do in the twin, and what would you do in the single to make it more cost effective, etc? Would you doe the maneuvers in the single, etc, and just show proficiency in the multi?

And if you already have the instrument rating, is hood flying and approaches included when taking the commercial check ride?

Edit: One more question.

I have all single requirements except for the long x-country and the 5 hours night flying with TO's and landings at an airport with a central tower, and the maneuvers training (I'm just starting back the training after a few years of non-flying). Would you go ahead and finish out on the single, and add the multi commercial later, or go ahead and do multi commercial, then add on the single? I have done no multi, and don't have a ME rating. I have found a place that will do the multi in 20 hours of training and that includes doing all the requirements for the multi commercial including the ME rating itself.

Last edited:
I'd continue with the single, assuming you've got the complex airplane time/availability.

When you add on the multi, you can do that at the commercial level with instrument privileges with a little bit of instrument work during the checkride. I think I did my multi in about 5 hours that way.

If one gets the single engine commercial rating first, then what is required to add the multi commercial?

Grab a copy of the PTS - you'll need it. There's a table in there for what tasks are required for an add-on rating.

Also how fast are you going to train? ACS is supposedly coming for the Commercial and all bets are off on what that will entail. Not published yet.

Grab a copy of the PTS - you'll need it. There's a table in there for what tasks are required for an add-on rating.

Also how fast are you going to train? ACS is supposedly coming for the Commercial and all bets are off on what that will entail. Not published yet.

I read that is June 15. Not sure I can get it done by then but I'll try. Gonna do the written in the next week or two.

I'm betting that the reference materials, maneuvers, and standards will be almost unchanged. ;)

I read that is June 15. Not sure I can get it done by then but I'll try. Gonna do the written in the next week or two.

Yeah that's what I was thinking that it's coming up soonish. Since it's not published nobody really knows what's in it, but I would suspect it'll be materially the same as the PTS with just a lot more detail, if it's like the other ACS conversions. I wouldn't sweat it, the requirements *should* be essentially the same.

The main difference in an add-on (just summarizing without the book in front of me here) is the Commerical maneuvers and the precision landings (still have tighter tolerances for the landings in the twin but they're not hard by the time you've flown it enough to handle everything else). You don't do the precision power off landings in the multi, but there's other stuff to do. More systems to cover. Orals are essentially the same (usually with an emphasis on aircraft systems and performance of the aircraft you're flying for the ride) and safety.

If you're feeling rusty at all, I'd say do the single first if renting. I did mine backward because I own a single without retractable gear. But the single will be cheaper to knock the rust off in and you'll need less time in the multi. If you need the multi time (future job, whatever) no harm in the extra multi time to do it first but it'll cost more.

I'm betting that the reference materials, maneuvers, and standards will be almost unchanged. ;)

That's what we're all betting but until someone can see it and analyze it...

I mean, you know, the last round brought us all a new definition of "slow flight" for the Private we all rolled our eyes at... ;-)

That's what we're all betting but until someone can see it and analyze it...

I mean, you know, the last round brought us all a new definition of "slow flight" for the Private we all rolled our eyes at... ;-)
True...but ten minutes of ground instruction and a 30-minute flight later, they're ready for the "revised" checkride.

True...but ten minutes of ground instruction and a 30-minute flight later, they're ready for the "revised" checkride.

True. True. Well in the case of the slow flight thing I haven't met any instructors who aren't teaching both what I'm seeing now called "MCA" and "FAA Slow Flight". Gotta know both now. If someone can do the former, doing it a little faster for a checkride is a piece of cake. Almost feels like cheating. :)

So what's the new deal about slow flight? I've heard about it but don't know the details.

So what's the new deal about slow flight? I've heard about it but don't know the details.

Long story short, checkride slow flight shouldn't sound the stall horn.

Those of us who learned slow flight as being relatively synonymous with Minimum Controllable Airspeed think it's kinda fast. ;-)

Rod Machado has some excellent rants about it a while back on his Facebook page and probably his website.

It's just a minor thing but it caused a minor stir.

Back