A Case for VFR Advisories

Very nice. Of course TCAS is ideal, but anything to boost SA is a positive. I'm not a huge fan of the advisories TCAS issues because I always find myself hoping the other pilot obeys his TCAS and does not panic and do the opposite of what he should do. Brings to mind the DHL vs. Russian airliner mid air over Europe years ago. The crews disobeyed the TCAS and obeyed the controller. Wrong decision.

Indeed an tragic and unfortunate accident. To be clear, PCAS does NOT provide conflict resolution. It advises of the distance and relative altitude of the target(s) and in the case of the XRX adds quadrant bearing and optional display of traffic on your GPS. That is plenty of useful info that can be used by the pilot to help decide on the appropriate action to take. But again, no conflict resolution.

Anthony

I think I like the passive version better just for the simple fact it tells you where the traffic is. It does not tell you what to do about it. No bells and whistles to freak a timid pilot out.

I think I like the passive version better just for the simple fact it tells you where the traffic is. It does not tell you what to do about it. No bells and whistles to freak a timid pilot out.

There is a little more detail to this. Keep in mind that this "passive" system requires that something is interrogating the aircrafts transponder. If you are out in the middle of nowhere and there isn't a radar (or TCAS) airplane hitting their transponder--You won't know about them.

There is another step up. I'm not exactly sure what it's called but Lance Fisher has a system in his Baron that essentially acts as a TCAS (minus conflict resolution). It does actively interrogate other aircraft. Correct me if I'm wrong Lance.

The scary thing is. The times that I have flown with Lance in his Baron--even with a plane full of pilots-- there are some other aircraft you just never see. Or you finally do see them at the last moment in a place you would have never even looked. The pilots out there that claim that their eyes keep them safe--are full of ****. It's a big sky and that is all we have going for us.

The problem with the big sky is sometimes planes will crash into each other. The lucky ones will see and avoid--and the unlucky ones will never know what hit them. There is no reason this entire problem couldn't be eliminated by technology if the FAA had their **** together.

I smell what you're cookin' Jesse. I'ts pretty nerve wracking up here zooming around with a few hits on TCAS but knowing there are probably 3 airplanes sans X-ponderfor every one that does show up. It still blows my mind how some yahoo in a super cub can get within 500' verticaly inside 1nm to a 707 with a big black flying saucer on it's back.

I have since established myself as Canada's authority in the area working closely with Zaon Flight Systems. Prior to the tragedy I was a user of PCAS starting with the Surecheck VRX.

Anthony, I scanned your website last night and it looks very good. I plan to read the stories soon. Thanks for focusing on this topic.

It's my sincere pleasure. Thanks for your interest and comment. Maybe the articles and this dialog will do someone some good. That would be a rewarding day.

A

Of course in Chicago, it would go something like "Traffic your 12 o'clock 5 miles, southbound. 2,500 indicated. Type unknown. I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO HIM." Of course, you've got to be IFR to even get this! To be fair, they do sometimes talk to us, but it is unusual enough to be notable when it happens. I've really stopped trying in most instances, unless it's late evening.
I'll say it again: I have never been denied VFR Advisories north of ORD B or running the lake shore.South of the loop most times they hand me off to MDW. That said i'm doing it tomorrow, I'll report back on how it goes.(3CK>Lakefront>KOXI & back>5K6).

I'll say it again: I have never been denied VFR Advisories north of ORD B or running the lake shore.South of the loop most times they hand me off to MDW. That said i'm doing it tomorrow, I'll report back on how it goes.(3CK>Lakefront>KOXI & back>5K6).

And the only time I've ever gotten advisories was on the way to OSH this year, when they set up a dedicated frequency for all the FLIBs who don't know the "rule" that you don't call Chicago Approach asking for flight following. FWIW, I never heard a single traffic call on that frequency either. I wonder if that Cherokee that I flew within a quarter mile of freaked out when he saw me...

That said, when IFR I did get cleared direct over ORD at 6,000 feet, but that was at 6 AM on a Sunday night.

And I know what you're thinking... "That guy must suck on the radio." Not so - I fly out of a class C, I've gotten Bravo clearances at every other facility I've asked (TPA, IAH, DEN, etc.) and I've never been denied FF from any other facility.

Chuck, how often have you flown around Chicago (C90)? I won't say that they never give it, but it's a crap shoot.
I fly around C90 airspace a lot. Many times with a 'Coast Guard' call sign and I can hardly get the service. MDW guys will give it to me very easily and will even go out of their way to let me hit some hot spots around their airport that we need to patrol. But pretty much from Navy pier northward until UGN you get nothing from C90.

By the way, Anthony, welcome to PoA! (and America inherently include all of North and South America, and we welcome other continents too!)
I just learned last week that North America does not include Canada so I am not sure about this statement.

I was at an IEEE meeting and we planning our meetings going into 2009. There is a motion that we had passed earlier this year that we wanted one of the plenary session to be held outside of North America. The executive secretary then returned with choice for us to pick for our NON-NORTH AMERICAN meeting. It was Rome, Italy or Vancouver Canada.

So there you go, Canada must not be part of NA.

That must explain those criminally high UPS brokerage fees I pay when I buy av-toys from the US! :rolleyes:

A

Could be!

My brother in law works for Starbucks in Seatlle and has a great Canada story too.

Starbucks had a gathering of all of the big franchisee owner to celebrate the opening of their international division and their first international store.

There were about 30 Canadians there that wondered what the heck this was all about since Starbucks had been operating in Canada for about 8 years. When the announcement was made it was to celebrate the first international store in Hawaii!

Seems that Starbucks considered B.C. Ontario, and Alberta part of the US division and Hawaii was part of Asia Pac. That has since been changed once the Canadians reminded the CEO of Starbucks that Canada was another country.

Seems that Starbucks considered B.C. Ontario, and Alberta part of the US division and Hawaii was part of Asia Pac. That has since been changed once the Canadians reminded the CEO of Starbucks that Canada was another country.

Actually, the US must be part of Canada for all the Canadian coins I get in change around here. :D

They don't work in the vending machines, but otherwise they seem to be interchangable. Now, that pocket full of Australian coins I came home with, that's a different story...

Could be worse - there is a bank (which will remain nameless) in Chicago that was family run - big bank, lots of $$$$$. The fellow who was chairman, eldest son, not all that bright but what are ya gonna do?, went down to the internation money section and told the teller ...

I'm going on vacation to Hawaii. I'll need to do an exchange for some Hawaiian money.

Sheesh. I don't remember how she handled it. A woman I was dating at the time moved in those circles, so she heard all about it from someone at the bank. :D

FWIW, I've never been refused FF anywhere I've flown, Southern California, Bay area, Cleveland Ohio, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Portland Oregon.

If things are crowded I usually offer to change altitude or route if they would like me to.

I also try to plan my route so that I'm not in the same place as everyone else.

FWIW, I've never been refused FF anywhere I've flown, Southern California, Bay area, Cleveland Ohio, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Portland Oregon.

Well, if you ever feel like getting refused, c'mon up to Chicago Approach airspace. :yes:

FWIW, I've flown in all of the places you mentioned except CA and never had a problem outside of ChiApp either. (And there's a lot more on the list - Off the top of my head: Madison, Milwaukee, Volk, Green Bay, South Bend, Indianapolis, Toledo, Mansfield, Cleveland, Akron, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Lexington, Louisville, Tampa, Miami, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Quad Cities, Des Moines, Little Rock, Razorback, Portland, Denver, and Houston TRACONs and Chicago, Minneapolis, Cleveland, New York, Fort Worth, Miami, Houston, Indianapolis, and Kansas City ARTCC's. Prolly missed a couple.)

Well, if you ever feel like getting refused, c'mon up to Chicago Approach airspace. :yes:

FWIW, I've flown in all of the places you mentioned except CA and never had a problem outside of ChiApp either. (And there's a lot more on the list - Off the top of my head: Madison, Milwaukee, Volk, Green Bay, South Bend, Indianapolis, Toledo, Mansfield, Cleveland, Akron, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Lexington, Louisville, Tampa, Miami, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Quad Cities, Des Moines, Little Rock, Razorback, Portland, Denver, and Houston TRACONs and Chicago, Minneapolis, Cleveland, New York, Fort Worth, Miami, Houston, Indianapolis, and Kansas City ARTCC's. Prolly missed a couple.)

Ditto for almost each and everyone of those and still the only problem area has been Chicago.

Back