A Case for VFR Advisories

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
So yesterday we were all set for a trip to Pittsburgh to visit friends and go to the Pgh. Renaissance Festival with them.

We departed Martin State at 11:00 EST into pretty good weather, very light winds, few clouds, but knowing that there are areas with heavy mist low to the ground en route. AGC, however, was in the clear and the plan was to head west, and if it got too bad enroute, we'd stop somewhere and wait a while.

Fortunately, the weather turned out to be no factor, other than once we hit the higher ridges of the Allegheny mountains we had to drop down to 4,500 to stay under a line of ridge clouds.

However, what was somewhat surprising was how busy the airspace was when we first were departing the Baltimore area. Turns out BWI and Dullas were both using northern approach paths pretty heavily that morning.

My plan was to pick up VFR advisories as soon as possible, but I wasn't able to get clear contact with Potomac until around Westminster, when I was sufficiently clear of the Baltimore Bravo to climb up to 4,500. Our adventure began then... The controller asked if I planned to stay at 4,500 and I told him I'd intended to climb to 6,500 at Frederick (I like extra room between me and big mountainous stretches of trees...)

Well we must have had a dozen traffic warnings, most of them heavies going north to south at 5k and 7k. I was apparently keeping this guy on his toes...although I did offer repeatedly to change altitude if it would help him.

But the most exciting moment (and you know how much pilots like excitement...) was when we were climbing from 4,500 to 6,500. The day was a bit warm and with my wife and I and our luggage, the climb rate at full power (yes, with leaning) was only about 300' when I was making 100kts. I was hoping to make a nice, gradual climb up to 6,500 while still making good forward speed. Right at 5,000ft the controller advises me of traffic, 12 o'clock, 7 miles, doing about 200kts. Ok, I'm looking, but I can't see a thing in front of me, but my wife spots a heavy WAY higher than us, and I lock onto it thinking "oh that must be it", so I tell the controller I see him but he's way higher. The controller is getting nervous, "No, thats not the contact, you've confused it with the heavy. Traffic now 3 miles, 12 oclock, if no contact turn right and descend 500", meanwhile I'm now up to 5,500 - and so is the contact. I look for about 3 seconds and think, "OH ****!" and cut power and nose her down and start to turn. I don't answer the controller, I'm busy looking and getting the hell out of dodge. Oh, and the controller had moved the contact to another freq so neither of us could hear the other.

It wasn't until I'm turned more to the north and descending until I call approach and tell them, "No contact, I'm getting out of the way" when I FINALLY see the contact. I don't know what it was - it was smallish, sleek, silvery, and FAST, and I only saw it because his strobes were blinking right at me alternating wing to wing. He was about 200' higher than me and right where I'd been just a moment ago. I let approach know that finally I had visual and eventually he asked me if I was going to resume my climb.

THis time, I wasted no time - pitched up to 80kts at full power and got up to 6,500 as fast as I could, and got a very strongly stated request from the controller to stay glued to that altitude because his separation was REALLY tight this morning what with me in the way.

Once we got west of Hagerstown, we were out of the approach path and had no further excitement, but that was just fine. We'd had plenty.

Moral of the story:
1) Don't dally when changing altitudes. Traffic can be coming the other way.
2) Use VFR advisories if you can get em, especially in busy places. I'm sure that if I hadn't used them, the controller would have had a much worse day, while I went blindly forth making a big VFR target that he had to move people WAY around. Being in contact let him slip me thru the cracks and let him keep his other traffic reasonably well uninterrupted.

We kept in contact all the way to AGC, where Corporate Air treated us wonderfully. :)

Have a safe flight - its a big sky, but it ain't empty. :)

Great writeup - glad everything turned out OK! Although now I'm wondering what that other plane was too....

You're correct that advisories are good to get if you can get 'em; recently attended a safety seminar where controllers from local airports were talking about runway 'hot spots'. In addition to the runway issues, the controller from Midway gave some very useful information about why it's useful to request advisories if you're planning to do the lakeshore light on certain days. Depending on conditions, heavy metal heading eastbound over the lake could be held for a while at both 3000 from MDW and 4000 from ORD; if you're not careful, your photogenic flight at 3500 could turn you into prime fixings for a Boeing sandwich :)

Leslie

thanks for sharing Chuck. Probably a good move to go ahead and make the heading and alt change, even though you couldn't see the contact.

Great experience and lesson. In the area right above me, you don't hold around 5000 to 7000 for long. At night, driving back north on I-85, you can see a string of lights indicating why.

Nice writeup Chuck, and it sounds like you did the right things!

Advisories are a luxury I rarely get because I'm usually too low for radar contact. At 1000 AGL there have been times when KABE couldn't get me (and other helicopterts) 15 nm to the south! On the other hand at 1000 AGL there ain't much traffic!

Might be a good idea to fill out a HATR for that incident.

Hazardous Air Traffic Report. I googled to see if I could find a link, but it seems it may just be a military thing. It's a report similar to the NASA ASRS form where you report hazardous situations such as the one described above. It's supposed to be for improving the national air traffic system only (not a confession with punishments involved).

Ahh. Would be better on a site that is mostly civvies to use the term ASRS or something, that way we can actually follow your advice!!
:D

The NASA ASRS report can save you from other punishment, though. It's not uncommon for punishment/paper work to be reduced after an incident or near-incident if they see you've fill out one of these reports already. I filled one out as soon as I hit the ground after declaring an emergency a while back and never had to fill out anything else, and only had a short interview with a guy from the FSDO (Basically just - why did you slow down our system today and is everyone alright?). It's a good form to fill out and this seems like a perfect near-incident for NASA's research.

Ahh. Would be better on a site that is mostly civvies to use the term ASRS or something, that way we can actually follow your advice!!
:D

Didn't realize it was a mil-only type deal until you queried me. :D

I had a similar thing descending outside of Cleveland. I think our lesson learned is if you can't see it ask immediately for recommended vectors(?).

In my case the controller eventually said, "Recommend you stop your descent." and the other guy said, "Thanks." I couldn't see the traffic below me and ahead due to the cowl. (Yeah. I could have tried turning.)

Depending on conditions, heavy metal heading eastbound over the lake could be held for a while at both 3000 from MDW and 4000 from ORD; if you're not careful, your photogenic flight at 3500 could turn you into prime fixings for a Boeing sandwich :)

Leslie
Leslie , Why would anyone go the lakefront @ 3500? I always go at 2200.
Remember, the Bravo is @ 3000 and up. I don't go out far enough to be under the 3600 shelf.

Bruce,

I don't recall ever not getting it...

Bruce,

I don't recall ever not getting it...

I've been denied several times around Dayton, OH, I've been dropped by Austin one time (when climbing out of San Marcos as there was a fly-in down at New Braunfels, meaning that there were targets everywhere:hairraise: ), and a handful of drops in other places.

No, I mean...

I don't recall there ever being a time when I didn't get why people would be frustrated with not being able to get advisories.

As long I can remember I've been very pro-vfr advisories.

The return trip from AGC yesterday was no exception. It was uneventful, but its nice to know you've got some extra eyes out there on your side, so to speak.

Hi Chuck,

Your story is similar to the many I recieve for my monthly column "Close Calls" which can be found online at http://CloseCalls.PCAS.ca , as well as a number of other aviation websites and publications. In my column I share the stories of anonymous pilots who found themselves in situations like yours. The purpose is to recognize that while mid-airs are fortunately very rare, close calls occur far too often. Additionally, the articles provide an opportunity for other pilots to learn from the experience.

I'd be very interested in learning more about your story and get your permission to write it up in "Close Calls".

Anthony Nalli
Columnist, Collision Avoidance Advocate,
and President of PCAS.ca

Although on the flip side being in contact with a controller does not guarantee you advisories. On my way home the other weekend, I called up MSN approach, and got what had to be a controller eating dinner, sice he wasn't really providing much service to anyone. I called up around 30 miles out, and I got my squawk code, but didn't get any acknowledgement until I was almost in the class C airspace, and only then after I called in for a radio check fearing I had missed a call. Finally the guy responded with radar contact expect rwy 21.

What really annoyed me was when I saw a light twin cross ahead of me within a 1000' feet in altitude (or so it seemed). I don't think there was any immeadiate cause for concern, but I would have expected a traffic advisory. It wasn't exactly busy that afternoon either. So always keep your eyes out for other traffic even when expecting advisories.

Pete

So always keep your eyes out for other traffic even when expecting advisories.

Pete
Heck, always keep your eyes out for other traffic unless you're actually in the clouds! In the pattern at a towered airport or while flying IFR in VMC, avoidance is still primarily your responsibility. Plus, it's you that's going to wind up in a heap on the ground, not the controller!

Agreed. No one practice is sufficient to ensure safety. I constantly encourage my readers always maintain a diligent lookout (employing passengers as well), keep a listening watch on local frequencies, call intentions and position reports, and use flight following. All of these and maybe even the cake's icing of electronic aids make for a well rounded set of tools that increase safety for us all.

Anthony

It was not a case of me relying on the controller. I saw the traffic as part of my normal see and avoid practice. I was more annoyed with a controller who obviously wasn't busy at all, that couldn't be bothered to provide a traffic call that in my mind was well justified.

Pete

It was not a case of me relying on the controller. I saw the traffic as part of my normal see and avoid practice. I was more annoyed with a controller who obviously wasn't busy at all, that couldn't be bothered to provide a traffic call that in my mind was well justified.

Pete

Remember, however, that one controller may be on multiple frequencies, while you are just on one.

He might have been busier than a one legged man in an arse kicking contest on another freq and your freq happened to be the low volume frequency he was also covering.

By the way, Anthony, welcome to PoA! (and America inherently include all of North and South America, and we welcome other continents too!)

Heck, always keep your eyes out for other traffic unless you're actually in the clouds! In the pattern at a towered airport or while flying IFR in VMC, avoidance is still primarily your responsibility. Plus, it's you that's going to wind up in a heap on the ground, not the controller!

true... anytime I'm going to be up for more than 20 minutes or so, I always ask for FF. I figure between my eyes being primary, ATC as secondary, and if so equipped, the TIS in the G1000 as the 3rd set of eyes, that's about as much coverage as you can get under VFR.

Just have to remember that the TIS isn't perfect (only works in some areas and requires the other a/c to have an Xpndr) and FF is on a workload permitting basis... so that leaves it as my eyeballs being the only constant and always available.

And isn't it infuriating (and scary) when your secondary system warns you of a conflict that you just can't find with your primary system? That's when you may have to ask for recommended vectors!

And isn't it infuriating (and scary) when your secondary system warns you of a conflict that you just can't find with your primary system? That's when you may have to ask for recommended vectors!

exactly.... or when the G1000 TIS points out a target and you can't find it. The couple times the TIS showed them but I couldn't find them, they were far enough away that I wasn't too worried... but it's still frustrating when you know the direction and altitude to look, and you still can't find them :mad:

Chuck, thank you for a great post.

The chance of a mid-air is my biggest fear in flying (yes I know statistically it's remote) and is keeping me from enjoying longer XC flights. (Of course the irony is that I stay close to my home drome, tool around to other local airports within, say 50nm, and spend the majority of time NOT under FF.)

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a ringing endorsement or stinging rejection for the Zaon XRX portable collision avoidance system? I've read Aviation Consumer's write-ups about it, but in the real PoA world, does anyone else feel the same way? It's not cheap, but if it makes me feel more comfortable exercising my license if I'm dropped from FF or otherwise in a dense traffic area, it may be worth it. I would use it in a rental 172SP.

I think we should think of VFR advisories as a way to help out the controller more than help us. With advisories, he KNOWS where you are and where you're headed. I can't tell you the number of times flying the GHG-OWD-AFN route at 2,500' that I've had the controller say "Traffic your 12 o'click 5 miles, southbound. 2,500 indicated. Type unknown. I'M NOT TALKING TO HIM.". All this under the class B shelf.
VFR advisories are a must for busy areas and a plus if you do not file a flight plan.

I think we should think of VFR advisories as a way to help out the controller more than help us. With advisories, he KNOWS where you are and where you're headed.

..snip...

good point... and it also allows the controller to have us climb, descend or turn in order to make the traffic flow better if that makes the most sense. I've had that happen around the Indy Class C several times, once was right after the Brickyard 400 was done, and they vectored me out of the way of departing traffic. Sure it added a few minutes to my time in the air, but it made the most sense for all involved.

I think we should think of VFR advisories as a way to help out the controller more than help us. With advisories, he KNOWS where you are and where you're headed. I can't tell you the number of times flying the GHG-OWD-AFN route at 2,500' that I've had the controller say "Traffic your 12 o'click 5 miles, southbound. 2,500 indicated. Type unknown. I'M NOT TALKING TO HIM.". All this under the class B shelf.
VFR advisories are a must for busy areas and a plus if you do not file a flight plan.
Of course in Chicago, it would go something like "Traffic your 12 o'clock 5 miles, southbound. 2,500 indicated. Type unknown. I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO HIM." Of course, you've got to be IFR to even get this! To be fair, they do sometimes talk to us, but it is unusual enough to be notable when it happens. I've really stopped trying in most instances, unless it's late evening.

I've never been turned down for flight following by SEA approach or center. And they have uniformly been helpful. I love having that second set of eyes watching the airspace around me. I never really thought about it being helpful for them, as well. But I have heard "I'm not talking to him" more than once and now I see the advantage for them, as well.

Great post.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a ringing endorsement or stinging rejection for the Zaon XRX portable collision avoidance system? I've read Aviation Consumer's write-ups about it, but in the real PoA world, does anyone else feel the same way? It's not cheap, but if it makes me feel more comfortable exercising my license if I'm dropped from FF or otherwise in a dense traffic area, it may be worth it. I would use it in a rental 172SP.

I don't want to seem to commercialize the thread but in a very short time following a mid-air collision in August of 2006 near my home field which sadly claimed 3 lives I took on a personal mission to promote general aviation collision avoidance with the goal of eliminating mid-airs and reducing close calls (thus the title of my column).

I have since established myself as Canada's authority in the area working closely with Zaon Flight Systems. Prior to the tragedy I was a user of PCAS starting with the Surecheck VRX.

I welcome you to go to my website for a whole host of information on PCAS. It is true that I sell these units but as I mention on my site, while I'd certainly like the sale I would very strongly recommend the use of collision avoidance technology from ANY manufacturer, purchased from ANY vendor. Doing so will only make the skies safer for us all.

There are a few Aviaition Consumer reviews out now as well as some others. I get the best endorsement from clients who have had their PCAS point out traffic that they'd otherwise have missed. The first time this happens, they feel the purchase has just paid for itself. Many add that they'll not fly without their PCAS ever again.

Is it perfect? No. Does it replace a good lookout, radio work, or flight following? No. Should it? NO! It's just another tool available to the GA pilot. And I recommend it without reservation.

Anthony

I should add that some (though not all) of my Close Calls articles come from PCAS users. Their stories often include details of how their PCAS helped them to decide the appropriate actions to take given their scenarios.

Anthony

Because I'm too lazy to do the research myself, I'll ask here. Does this PCAS act similar to TCAS? What I mean is does it talk to other such equiped aircraft to produce TA's and RA's? Or is it just an SA tool for the pilot?

PCAS is essentially (and over-simplistically) a "transponder detector". If there is a nearby transponder equipped aircraft responding to either radar or TCAS interrogation, PCAS will detect the response and report the position of the aircraft if within the detection envelope.

The key difference betweeen TCAS and PCAS is the passive nature of PCAS. It does not interrogate on its own (unlike TCAS which is an active system) and therefore relies on ground radar or overflying TCAS. The other key difference is cost of course.

I very highly recommend TCAS but recognize that this is a cost prohibitive option for many GA pilots. I have posted a video on YouTube (also available on my site) explaining how PCAS works.

Anthony

Back