A beach with and airport code

Love that strip. Love Tom. Thanks for the link.

Flew there for my long XC dual.
Pretty neat.

4115B08D-4661-4FAA-B3F0-41507D0300DF.jpeg

Can’t imagine the salt corrosion

I flew the coast of FL and parked inland a mile for a week- got home and wiped the dust on the leading edges and tasted it- salty salty salty… washed her like I was cleaning a crime scene! Can’t imagine landing in the spray…. Though it would be fun in a rental :)

Gonzaga Bay in Mexico too.. the runway floods at high tide so you have to pull the plane high enough up the sand to keep it dry

Can’t imagine the salt corrosion

Exactly. I wouldn't land at a place like that unless my life depended on it. If you kicked up some salt water spray, you would NEVER get all the salt out of the plane.

Tim

I wouldn't land at a place like that unless my life depended on it

One of my previous job descriptions called for beach landings. The passengers thought it was really cool. But the beaches I flew to weren't flat like the one in the above picture. Or as straight. Or as clutter free.

The planes got a bi-weekly wash using a salt neutralizer such as Salt Away. Plus a very good rinse. the planes were older 206s, but not crappy planes. Actually some of the best 206s I saw in Alaska or pretty much anywhere. They were never in the water though.

Any possible beach landing spots for a Cessna 150 in the Northeast? I know it is a long shot.

I'd love to fly over to Copalis Beach and land, but our club rules are that we are only to land on paved runways. And the last time someone violated that rule (that we know of) our insurance company had to pay for an engine tear down and a new prop as he had a prop strike. Rats.

I'd love to fly over to Copalis Beach and land, but our club rules are that we are only to land on paved runways. And the last time someone violated that rule (that we know of) our insurance company had to pay for an engine tear down and a new prop as he had a prop strike. Rats.

If it was a violation of club rules, I’m surprised the insurance company paid.

I flew the coast of FL….. got home and wiped the dust on the leading edges and tasted it…

uh. wait. what?? I mean, because that’s a perfectly normal thing to do, of course. why even wipe it off, just give the leading edges a good lickdown. like all normal pilots do.

Insurance policies generally don't embody the policy holders' internal guidance on conduct.

But if your rates were based on, “we are never going to do this” or if it’s against the club rules, why did the club even make an insurance claim instead of making the pilot pay?

But if your rates were based on, “we are never going to do this” or if it’s against the club rules, why did the club even make an insurance claim instead of making the pilot pay?
A few places I used to rent had such rules to reduce the chance of claims and keep rates low. The pavement rule for example was NOT in the insurance policy.
It was unwritten at one place, if you asked, and did a checkout with the owner and he was happy with your flying such policies were waived.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

uh. wait. what?? I mean, because that’s a perfectly normal thing to do, of course. why even wipe it off, just give the leading edges a good lickdown. like all normal pilots do.

mom like a mother cat with her kitten with the plane , lol.

idk I was just curious how much salt really was in the air if flown I guess :)

Insurance policies generally don't embody the policy holders' internal guidance on conduct.

I used to be involved as a lessor in one club, and as the lessee in another club, so I've been around quite a few policy negotiations. While a few times the insurer did dictate specific terms to us, usually they looked at our rules and gave approval or not. Since we had a few taildraggers in one club (not to mention the Navion which was also designed for unimproved strips), we didn't want to restrict ourselves to paved or public airports. We went around on that with a couple of underwriters but we ended up with just requiring it to be designated as an airport. We did have to write in some training/currency rules for the taildraggers. So no, while it isn't always the insurance that dictates the rules, you may have had to adapt the rules to get approval or a good rate out of an insurer.

Back