A barbecue adventure, the saga unfolds.

I think I have relegated that my smoker is not going to be a universal Swiss army knife do it all. It's not the appropriate hardware for brisket, and any beef, chicken or pork venue short of ribs is going to be replicated just fine on either the grill, oven or crock pot. Therefore its use seems to be just ribs. I mean I -could- smoke turkeys, prime ribs and the like, but why, the work vs. return ratio isn't there. Now if I had either a pellet smoker, or a full time @Matthew, it might be a different story.

Prime rib and turkey are both easy to smoke, and awesome when they are done. You might give each a try before you give up on them.

Turkey: get a Honeysuckle or Butterball bone-in turkey breast. They are pre-brined and injected. Rub with whatever poultry seasoning you like and smoke roughly 4 hrs until around 160 (temp will rise to 165 when resting). Turkey is a set it and forget it kind of thing.

Pork loin: a little mustard and then rib rub. Smoke until137-ish and pull it off to rest. Might take 1.5 - 2 hrs. It’s my go to for simple. A whole loin is cheap, but good, eats.

Both can be cooked at the same time and get you plenty of lean leftovers for sandwiches. And they won’t take all day.

Edit: I do understand the issues. Set up, cook, monitor, cook some more, eat, clean up. That’s a lot of time.

I was kind of surprised myself. This was Choice, not prime.
It almost looks like the brisket was cut right in half. That looks like part of the flat, then the fat layer, then the point underneath.

I’d cook that and dive in with my hands behind my back.

Pulled it out in time to come up to near room temp before hitting the smoker.

I am no expert, so take this with a grain of salt-- I have read that cold meat will take the smoke flavor more than warm, so many folks recommend putting the meat on the smoker cold to enhance the smoke flavor.

I am no expert, so take this with a grain of salt-- I have read that cold meat will take the smoke flavor more than warm, so many folks recommend putting the meat on the smoker cold to enhance the smoke flavor.
I heard meat absorbs less and less smoke as it cooks. I hadn't heard about starting w/ cold meat. I always try to have meat a room temp b/c I _thought_ it made for more even cooking.

It’s all relative. When I put this on the smoker this morning it was still 43* in the middle after sitting out.
b22b0a69c4782cfc5228de94a19e5f7b.jpg

I’ve done meats right out of the refrigerator and after sitting out for a while and my taste buds can’t tell a difference in smoke absorption. What I believe is that once a brisket gets to about 165* it’s done absorbing smoke so the longer it takes to get to that number, the more smoke ‘flavor’ is going to be imparted.

But that’s just me and it’s entirely unscientific.

I heard meat absorbs less and less smoke as it cooks.

The general thought on this is that the meat will stop absorbing smoke flavor after 4 hrs. So after that, you might as well stop adding any more "smoke" wood and stick with the "heat" wood. Or wrap in foil. Or, if you are backyard cooking and the weather looks bad, finish it up in the oven. Adding more flavor smoke after 4 hrs seems to just add bitterness to the bark.

It’s all relative. When I put this on the smoker this morning it was still 43* in the middle after sitting out.
b22b0a69c4782cfc5228de94a19e5f7b.jpg

I’ve done meats right out of the refrigerator and after sitting out for a while and my taste buds can’t tell a difference in smoke absorption. What I believe is that once a brisket gets to about 165* it’s done absorbing smoke so the longer it takes to get to that number, the more smoke ‘flavor’ is going to be imparted.

But that’s just me and it’s entirely unscientific.

That's going to be awesome.

I'll typically let meat sit out 30 min to an hour to sweat from the rub. It gets the outside closer to room temp, I guess, but an 18 lb brisket (pre-trimmed) and 8 lb pork butts will take too long to get to room temp all the way through. They cook for 8-12 hrs anyway, might as well get them started on the outside and let the inside come to room temp while the outside is cooking.

Seven hours total, most of it at 225*. Pulled off at 203* and let it rest about an hour before slicing. Ended up a little tight, probably because I chose not to wrap at the stall and instead ramped it up to 250*. Probably won’t do that again.

4fc7eba53c418b2366231d6aa3a3a05f.jpg

Sure didn’t suck though.

09e0d11d5dd4fdeae8454b627f391080.jpg

My team (I semi retired) is cooking a contest today. One of the guys and I will cook one in mid Oct. I stopped by to check on them last night. Good times.

Seven hours total, most of it at 225*. Pulled off at 203* and let it rest about an hour before slicing. Ended up a little tight, probably because I chose not to wrap at the stall and instead ramped it up to 250*. Probably won’t do that again.

4fc7eba53c418b2366231d6aa3a3a05f.jpg

Sure didn’t suck though.

09e0d11d5dd4fdeae8454b627f391080.jpg

Brisket? Looks good. Seven hours is manageable. I might just try it.

For fun, try a pre-packaged corned beef (expect it to shrink a lot during cooking, though). Rinse it heavily to wash off as much brine and salt as possible, then season heavily with a rub that’s high in black pepper. It’s an easy way to make something that can pass for pastrami. Makes some great sandwiches. And it might take only 3-4 hrs.

I have a mean hankerin’ for brisket right now. Time to check the freezer for leftovers.

For fun, try a pre-packaged corned beef (expect it to shrink a lot during cooking, though). Rinse it heavily to wash off as much brine and salt as possible, then season heavily with a rub that’s high in black pepper. It’s an easy way to make something that can pass for pastrami. Makes some great sandwiches. And it might take only 3-4 hrs.

Sounds like a good idea. I have baked corned beef before (in the turkey roaster) but found it to be way salty. I have since learned to wash it off as well as possible - even when crocking it. I might give it a shot sometime.

I might, however, entertain the thought of smoking a turkey. I've had smoked turkey, and it had been some of the best turkey I ever had.

Sounds like a good idea. I have baked corned beef before (in the turkey roaster) but found it to be way salty. I have since learned to wash it off as well as possible - even when crocking it. I might give it a shot sometime.

I might, however, entertain the thought of smoking a turkey. I've had smoked turkey, and it had been some of the best turkey I ever had.
Simple turkey is a bone in breast. It cooks evenly. The dark meat needs to get to about 185 to really get tender, but cooking the white meat >165 will dry it out. You might not have enough room on your smoker for a spatchcock turkey. But you can put leg quarters on a separate rack and let those go longer to finish.

Part of one. That started as a 5lb point.

For fun, try a pre-packaged corned beef (expect it to shrink a lot during cooking, though).
I’ve done that when we were in CO and couldn’t get whole briskets. Down here, we can get flats at HEB. They’ll even pre-season it if you like.

I did another practice cook today, for a KCBS backyard BBQ competition next month. Chicken and ribs. I think I've finally got the flavor profile I want, on both. Very minor tweaks needed to the cook time, but overall I was really happy with the results. It's still an enormous pain in the butt trimming the chicken, to include scraping all of the fat off of the skins, and I think the total ingredient count for both meats is up to 5 rubs, 4 sauces, two fruit juices, a brine, and an injection, plus brown sugar, honey, and margarine for the rib wraps.

But the results are pretty.

IMG_0953.jpeg IMG_0950.jpeg

I did another practice cook today, for a KCBS backyard BBQ competition next month. Chicken and ribs. I think I've finally got the flavor profile I want, on both. Very minor tweaks needed to the cook time, but overall I was really happy with the results. It's still an enormous pain in the butt trimming the chicken, to include scraping all of the fat off of the skins, and I think the total ingredient count for both meats is up to 5 rubs, 4 sauces, two fruit juices, a brine, and an injection, plus brown sugar, honey, and margarine for the rib wraps.

But the results are pretty.

View attachment 110877 View attachment 110878
Some appearance feedback as a KCBS judge:

The chicken looks awesome. That’s a 9 from me.

The ribs are an 8. I know they aren’t turn-in ready yet, but they could reach a strong 8 and maybe get some 9s. Try to make them as shiny as the chicken. They look like they’d need another 30 min to pull back from the bone ends just a little more. I think a little more time would be necessary for that solid 9.

And yes, nobody likes doing chicken. They are a tremendous waste of time. At the end of the day, it’s just chicken.

Some appearance feedback as a KCBS judge:

Thanks--I appreciate the feedback!
The chicken was dipped to sauce, which did give it the wet look I wanted. Brushing sauce on the ribs just didn't compare; I should have at least done a final spray of apple juice.
There was a third rack of ribs, which despite rotating racks between the smokers ended up a bit overdone--lots of pull-back on those bone ends, and two bones dropped out entirely. I need to work a little more on finding the happy medium. Kind of a pain to check, once they are double wrapped.

Thanks--I appreciate the feedback!
The chicken was dipped to sauce, which did give it the wet look I wanted. Brushing sauce on the ribs just didn't compare; I should have at least done a final spray of apple juice.
There was a third rack of ribs, which despite rotating racks between the smokers ended up a bit overdone--lots of pull-back on those bone ends, and two bones dropped out entirely. I need to work a little more on finding the happy medium. Kind of a pain to check, once they are double wrapped.
Most cooks will dunk the chicken, then put it back in the smoker about 10 min to set the sauce.

Ribs are like Christmas presents. You don’t know what you have until you unwrap. I will usually schedule the ribs to finish about an hour ahead of turn in. If they are done, they’ll keep in a cooler or hot box. If not, you’ll have some time to finish. Sauce them and back on for a few minutes, cut, find the best 6, box them, then a quick spray of apple juice for a nice shine. Everyone does it their way, though,
so do what works best for you.

My team got a 9th place in chicken today, out of 87 teams. They did drumsticks.

One of the guys and I will cook one more contest in mid Oct. I hope my chicken looks as good as yours.

edit: you doing Red, White, and Q in Jackson?

Last edited:
My team got a 9th place in chicken today, out of 87 teams. They did drumsticks.

One of the guys and I will cook one more contest in mid Oct. I hope my chicken looks as good as yours.

edit: you doing Red, White, and Q in Jackson?

Yep, Red, White, and Q. Team Smoke-Chem BBQ (I'm a chemist).

Costco had beef ribs today. It dawned on me, in ~25 years as a Costco member and as many years smoking meats, I have never seen beef ribs there nor have I smoked them. I've smoked bone-in prime rib, but never just ribs. I bought two racks and am very much looking forward to this weekend. Any tips?

Costco had beef ribs today. It dawned on me, in ~25 years as a Costco member and as many years smoking meats, I have never seen beef ribs there nor have I smoked them. I've smoked bone-in prime rib, but never just ribs. I bought two racks and am very much looking forward to this weekend. Any tips?

If they’re plate ribs, prep like brisket, don’t mess with the membrane…smoke at 250, look for an internal temp a little hotter than brisket. You want them jiggly.

If they’re plate ribs...
They are beef back ribs. Looks to be a lot less meat on them than your video. 7 ribs weighs 6 pounds. I sure hope these things aren't for making broth or something :(

mmm...had a meating with the October team today, three of us. Making plans for who brings what to our next contest in about 3 weeks.

I'm scheduled to judge again this weekend, too. These will be the last 2 BBQ comps for me this year, one as a judge and one as a cook. Looking forward to both, but that late Oct contest cook will require the overnight stay and there's no telling what the weather will bring at that time of the year.

Don’t over do them. They were the subject of my original post. I was disappointed with the lack of meat on them.

...They were the subject of my original post....
Doops. Sorry about that. I mustn't have read back that far. I never thought I'd say this, but given the lack of meat on these things, I'm thinking of boiling then finishing on the grill.

Doops. Sorry about that. I mustn't have read back that far. I never thought I'd say this, but given the lack of meat on these things, I'm thinking of boiling then finishing on the grill.

Or you might just grill them. Assuming you are talking about back ribs, they are just the rib side of a rib roast.

They are beef back ribs. Looks to be a lot less meat on them than your video. 7 ribs weighs 6 pounds. I sure hope these things aren't for making broth or something :(

Oh. Never done them. Sounds closer to a short rib which we typically braise. I’d start around 275* and see if they’re tender at 203 or whether they need to go longer. I’d probably wrap in butcher paper after about four hours.

Your meat to experiment with though.

Or you might just grill them. Assuming you are talking about back ribs, they are just the rib side of a rib roast.
They are back ribs.

I was thinking there might be some connective tissue in need of breaking down. I bought two racks so I'll try different options and see what turns out best.

Did I say boil? Braise...that's what I meant! Sounds so much less offensive! Seriously, I've decided these things are not worth firing up the smoker or grill. I'm taking @TCABM's advice and will braise.

Did I say boil? Braise...that's what I meant! Sounds so much less offensive! Seriously, I've decided these things are not worth firing up the smoker or grill. I'm taking @TCABM's advice and will braise.
heh - as much a BBQ geek as I am, I am not a rib Nazi. Cook them whatever way works for you.

Back