A barbecue adventure, the saga unfolds.

Judging starts in about 20 minutes. Only 58 teams this year, pretty sure there were 70+ last year.

And I found the setup my team should get.
IMG_6860.jpeg

IMG_6862.jpeg

Wow, I suspect I would be sorely disappointed upon opening the package.

I think they came out with ketchup flavored potato chips that I wanted to try but haven't seen them anywhere.

IMG_5770.jpeg
I may have to give a BREP on this Kingsford charcoal with hickory. I normally like unadulterated charcoal but I had a coupon and it was the only thing I could use it on at the time.

IMG_5771.jpegIMG_5772.jpeg

I can't tell a difference tastewise in the hickory infused charcoal, but I did notice that it was more smoky throughout the grilling period. But I did do a teriyaki marinade, which will negate a lot of the smoke taste. It came out pretty good. The flank steak was perfectly, exactly the way I like it. I left the chicken on longer to ensure it was cooked. I think it turned out okay. If not, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

IMG_5776.jpegIMG_5777.jpegWell that was good. I used a dry rub and could taste the smoky flavor this time. Flank steak again perfectly to my liking. The chicken was of course cooked through.

Today’s cook goes in the category of…experimentation?

Boneless pork butts were on sale and for some weird reason the butcher took a prime flat and cubed it up and advertised it as brisket for burnt ends. Sigh.

I usually don’t bother with a boneless pork but, but on sale and a wife that loves pulled pork resulted in that making it to the basket. I took pity on the cow that devoted it’s life to a prime lifestyle only to be hacked up by the butcher and took those, too. Only because they were marked down as the sell by date was today though.

The butt got a mustard bath then some Holy Smoke and brown sugar, while the ends rolled around in Hard Core Carnivore. I figure low low low is the only chance those brisket-lets have at turning out half decent, so the smoker is set to 200. We’ll see how this turns out.

3d1b280b18611d8b117008a7bc4d6191.jpg

My expectations are low.

Today’s cook goes in the category of…experimentation?

Boneless pork butts were on sale and for some weird reason the butcher took a prime flat and cubed it up and advertised it as brisket for burnt ends. Sigh.

I usually don’t bother with a boneless pork but, but on sale and a wife that loves pulled pork resulted in that making it to the basket. I took pity on the cow that devoted it’s life to a prime lifestyle only to be hacked up by the butcher and took those, too. Only because they were marked down as the sell by date was today though.

The butt got a mustard bath then some Holy Smoke and brown sugar, while the ends rolled around in Hard Core Carnivore. I figure low low low is the only chance those brisket-lets have at turning out half decent, so the smoker is set to 200. We’ll see how this turns out.

3d1b280b18611d8b117008a7bc4d6191.jpg

My expectations are low.
I mean, it's not tofu...

I mean, it's not tofu...

So far the end cubes are a pain in the a$$ because they don’t cook evenly. Some of the smaller ones have been picked as an app; the pig is still on the smoker, but it’s close at 189*

02404ddefc0d42786c3ab120ec893b6e.jpg

I got to judge my first KCBS competition this weekend at the NJ KnoQ-Out BBQ competition in Blairstown. https://campgroundbbq.com/nj-knoqout

NJ is on the outer fringe of BBQ culture in the US, but the Team of the Year points chase brings top competitors all the way out here. We had 50 teams registered Saturday, almost 40 on Sunday, a mix of Masters Division (turning in chicken, pork ribs, pork shoulder, and brisket) and Backyard Division, judged to the same standards but cooking only chicken and ribs (no overnight cooking required). Teams have to hit a narrow turn-in window every 30 minutes, chicken first, then ribs, pork, and brisket, followed by the Backyard division chicken, then ribs.

So, for 3 hours, the judges are getting 6 portions of meat every 30 minutes. Even judging based on one bite (the norm, though a second bite is allowed if needed), it’s a lot of meat.

BUT, at this level of competition, it’s really good. The best was extraordinary, and even the worst was just…ordinary. There wasn’t a bad bite during the entire competition, at least at the tables where I was judging. It’s double-blind judging, so I’ll never know whose entries I judged, but I did get to eat some of the best BBQ I’ve ever had.

jack-daniels-world-championship-invitational-barbecue-kcbs-judging-ribs.jpg
File photo--no photography allowed in the judging pavilion.

1713732171117.jpeg

I got to judge my first KCBS competition this weekend at the NJ KnoQ-Out BBQ competition in Blairstown. https://campgroundbbq.com/nj-knoqout

NJ is on the outer fringe of BBQ culture in the US, but the Team of the Year points chase brings top competitors all the way out here. We had 50 teams registered Saturday, almost 40 on Sunday, a mix of Masters Division (turning in chicken, pork ribs, pork shoulder, and brisket) and Backyard Division, judged to the same standards but cooking only chicken and ribs (no overnight cooking required). Teams have to hit a narrow turn-in window every 30 minutes, chicken first, then ribs, pork, and brisket, followed by the Backyard division chicken, then ribs.

So, for 3 hours, the judges are getting 6 portions of meat every 30 minutes. Even judging based on one bite (the norm, though a second bite is allowed if needed), it’s a lot of meat.

BUT, at this level of competition, it’s really good. The best was extraordinary, and even the worst was just…ordinary. There wasn’t a bad bite during the entire competition, at least at the tables where I was judging. It’s double-blind judging, so I’ll never know whose entries I judged, but I did get to eat some of the best BBQ I’ve ever had.

View attachment 128039

View attachment 128040

That looks good. I couldn't be a judge. I just like to chow down too much.

View attachment 128039

View attachment 128040
Awesome!

Now you’ve seen how contest cooking is so different from your basic backyard adventures.

I’ve already done 2 this season, I have 3-4 more on the schedule, and plan to do another 2 or 3 when they open for sign ups. I’m going to try to do the Royal this year, it’s the big boy, 600+ teams, sign up starts in May.

My next event is mid-May when I help cook at a charity fundraiser.

Last edited:
I'm now a KCBS Master CBJ (certified BBQ judge), so now the dollars will start rolling in.

I'll probably get that sweet new name tag, chicks dig it.

I'm now a KCBS Master CBJ (certified BBQ judge), so now the dollars will start rolling in.

Wait. You get paid to eat bbq? Is that by the bite or by the contest.

From what I’ve seen: I now am authorized to get a sweet new name tag, buy a shirt with my name embroidered on it, and gain 85 pounds.
Sounds like the equivalent of an ATP in the BBQ world.

I could tell from your posts you are quite knowledgeable. It's great you are so willing to share your knowledge. That's uncommon. I had a relative who used to complete and he wouldn't tell me a thing!
His advice is like scripture, e.g.

"That water pan is generally just to act as a heat buffer between the coals and the meat. Any humidity it adds is a bonus, I guess. You'll find out that anything around the edges of the cooking grates will get done much faster than what's in the center because of extra heat that travels up and around the water pan."

Matthew #8:136151

Congrats! I know that takes a good bit of time and effort!

But based on my very limited experience judging, you get to eat some great BBQ!

Congrats! I know that takes a good bit of time and effort!

But based on my very limited experience judging, you get to eat some great BBQ!
Most of the time.

I judged on a day it was so cold the ink in my pen froze. Another time the ground was so soggy from rain my chair sank in the mud.

Of course I cooked in those conditions, and worse, too.

Good times.

Oh, yeah, pork butts are $1.49 at the local grocery store. Approx $30 for a two-pack of ten pounders. I passed on that today, but I might go back tomorrow. Supposed to get t-storms all weekend, though.

Back