911 Whats Your Emergency?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Ma'am, My family and were outside and smelled natural gas. I went to the meter, and there is a hole in it. My mowers appear to have hit it with a mower and gas is whooshing out.

911: So you were outside?

Me: Yes we were having a water balloon fight. We went to wash the grass off our feet and I smelled gas. That is when I noticed the smell and saw the hole in gas meter.

911: Ok so how much gas has come out so far?

Me: What? I mean the mowers came this morning so it has been leaking for a long time.

911: Okay, and how much would you estimate has come out?

Me: I am not sure you are thinking of the right thing

911: Ok, let me ask this. Is it a lot? Is it spilling out into the road?

Me: Ma'am, I am talking about natural gas. Not automobile gas.

911: Okay, so it's a vapor

Me: No its a gas!. It is gas. Just gas.

911: So its not a vapor?

Me: Ma'am it is invisible.

911: Has anyone come in contact with it?

Me: I mean we can smell it so yes I guess

911: Ok, I am going to give you instructions. How many people have been contaminated?

911: Can you tell me the chemical symbol?

Me: Really??? No.

Me: Ma'am, this is the stuff that you cook with on the stove like the definition of GAS.

911: Okay, is it on fire?

Me: NO! there is no fire, just gas leaking

911: The police are on their way. So to recap are you inside the house.

Me: No. We don't water balloon fight indoors anymore

3 police cars show up and I s**t you not, they get out of their cars and start playing football with my neighbors.

#MyLifeDoesntMatter #ThatMightBeABaseball
13770451_10208803805386704_2416487262600365248_n.jpg

Only kidding, the cops were fantastic. ^ They really did socialize w/ neighbors but they were awesome.

Then that thing happened where 2 more police trucks showed up and then a fire truck.

20160719_203425_resized.jpg

A swarm of people came out of the emergency vehicles, assessed the situation and one guy radios to the other guy: "We're gonna need the tool".

Sweet, This is going to be epic.

The tool it turns out, was a pair of "pliers".

I had turned the shutoff valve but the hole was on the city side of the meter so it was still leaking. However any other average Joe out there would have known with "pliers" you can shut off the city side as well.

Now here is where it get's good.

Fireman #4 (that's a beer joke) says "you're still screwed. Atmos will have to replace the meter, you have to be home when they come and I bet it will be at least a day." Fireman 1, 2, and 3 nod in agreement.

That said, the fireman radios and says we need an atmos guy out here stat.

Maybe 5 minutes later, here comes the gas guy.

He jumps out of the truck carrying a gas meter that looks like it just came from powder coating.
Sweeeeeeet!

I tell Eren, "you realize this means you can have a hot shower tomorrow and prepare my required meals without fear of failing me and my dinner needs right?

She breathed a sigh of relief.

Look at that fine piece of machinery:
13754231_10210119000518446_2064327116931492605_n.jpg

I grabbed a twenty and told the guy "You probably have a policy against this and you are just doing your job but you made the difference between a bad and a good day for my family tomorrow. Take this and get a nice case of beer" He objected a couple times but finally took the twenty.

I promptly called my mowers and dismissed them.
I owe them $100 and I will pay for all but today's service.

Just to be a dick, I am going to average 12 months of gas bills and send them a bill for the delta for this month. I doubt it is really on them or enforceable but I am a little agitated.

They mow, then weed / edge, and blow the grass.
I could smell the gas 30-40 yards easily. They had to know what they did.

No matter... Lessons learned today
I am lucky. It could have been 100X worse.
My police and fire community are a great bunch
911 is not hiring the sharpest tools in the shed.

#MowHole:(
13726827_10210118706111086_3570638816951926749_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like damage from a cirrus, you probably did it when you pulled the chute. :cool:

Your posts are usually pretty funny, this one was as well. With that said, the 911 operator was probably confused because she works Under the assumption that callers have an actual emergencies and not something that could be fixed with a crescent wrench and a call to your local gas company.

Your posts are usually pretty funny, this one was as well. With that said, the 911 operator was probably confused because she works Under the assumption that callers have an actual emergencies and not something that could be fixed with a crescent wrench and a call to your local gas company.

I am with you.
I called the gas company and checked with my neighbor. Both said try 911

I told the firemen "I hope I am not abusing the 911 system" They said "NO, this is a valid reason to call 911"
I was VERY hesitant.

The firemen basically said even though this was not life threatening, call 911.

I went back and forth a lot on this one.

Well, you could have said "gaseous" or "natural gas" instead of just "gas" :)

Last edited:
Why will your bill be exciting if the meter was not spinning? The repair?
Sort of amazed an impact there would cause a leak.
How about some bollards to prevent incident #2?

Maybe...but that rust on the piping should be addressed. With the quality and workmanship typically seen on residential gas piping, maintenance is a really good idea. I was a little shocked when I modified my gas lines. From the exposed threads in 6PC's pictures, there are problems there similar to what I've found. "Just slap some sealant on it an turn it 3 times" smdh

I know that but this girl was going to gain no valuable information from me saying that. She had no idea what I was talking about. I figure she was hoping I would say methane so she could read the exposure instructions to me. My neighbor wss rolling when he heard me trying to answer her questions

Maybe...but that rust on the piping should be addressed. With the quality and workmanship typically seen on residential gas piping, maintenance is a really good idea. I was a little shocked when I modified my gas lines. From the exposed threads in 6PC's pictures, there are problems there similar to what I've found. "Just slap some sealant on it an turn it 3 times" smdh

They are supposed to look that way. For some reason you are not allowed to clean and paint the black steel pipes that NG is delivered in.

That's a good way to spend an evening. 911 lady, PD, FD, gas-meter guy, neighbors. All you needed was a group of Pokie-hunters wandering through and it would have been a righteous party.

Since it was on the city side, it was spewing but the meter was registering nothing.

I suspect my bill will still be exciting.

Maybe you'll get one of those $1,254,098.98 bills when the meter readings are so far off with the replacement.

They are supposed to look that way. For some reason you are not allowed to clean and paint the black steel pipes that NG is delivered in.
That is bad information. Piping should be maintained.

6PC said:
I promptly called my mowers and dismissed them.

I'm as confused as the 911 operator. Dont you have kids? How do you "fire" your kids? You do have your kids mowing the lawn right? As a way to finally contribute to the family, instead of being little parasites?

Or are you one of those sunshine & butterfly fathers whos little precious cant possible do something degrading, like working?

:D:D:D:D:D

Glad your house didnt blow up.

And it was probably the Monkey.

Dude, get all your exciting adventures out of your system this week, we are looking for a calm NON eventful trip next week.

Hold the phone....
I plead ignorance. So this is like elec. where they come out and read it and bill me based on that?
I guess that makes sense... Why else have a meter?

So now with the new one zeroed out, I wonder how the billing works. I was thinking they could asses what I was using and would get hit for the leak.

They have your old meter and will bill you for the difference between the numbers on it and what the numbers were the last time it was read. Meters get replaced all the time, they keep the numbers straight...usually. If the leak was on the utility side then your meter shouldn't have registered the loss. Newer meters (in my neighborhood it's the electric meters) will transmit wirelessly to the receivers mounted to the top of nearby light poles. I don't know if they send directly to the electric co or if a truck still has to drive by and download.

You PAY someone to mow your grass?
They have your old meter and will bill you for the difference between the numbers on it and what the numbers were the last time it was read. Meters get replaced all the time, they keep the numbers straight...usually. If the leak was on the utility side then your meter shouldn't have registered the loss. Newer meters (in my neighborhood it's the electric meters) will transmit wirelessly to the receivers mounted to the top of nearby light poles. I don't know if they send directly to the electric co or if a truck still has to drive by and download.

That is fine I guess. I may or may not have left the hot tub heater on and it switched to pool mode over night.
Pool was 95* yesterday morning when I realized it was left on. Was getting excited at the possibility of dodging that mistake.

You PAY someone to mow your grass?

Dude...
It gets hot here. I'm fair skinned. And have allergies. And am lazy.

For $25 a week to come home on Friday and not have to mess with it...
It probably be a family task now that the kids are getting bigger.

carefully
Kill the corrosion and apply a coating

I like this stuff called "Naval Jelly"
It is a rust remover. Am I okay to brush that on and then coat it with... (With what?)

How does one maintain their pipe?

Well first, don't just put the pipe into any hole out there. Specialty coatings are available to prevent pipe spillage, and corrosion to the pipe. For ease of pipe laying I would suggest the anti friction coating available at your local pharmacy... :D

@SixPapaCharlie, I wouldn't pay them any of the $100 owed. They caused a major screw-up. Tell them to go to hell, and if they have a credit card on file, dispute the charge.

We had a similar issue with the gym that Laurie was a member of. The particular gym location (Gold's) got bought out by another gym company (Genesis), who then shut the gym down and had no other equivalent gyms within a reasonable drive. They then gave multiple, conflicting stories on how to cancel in order to put off allowing her to cancel. Then on Monday they told her "Our policy is that you must give us 30 days notice, so we're charging you through August 22nd." "No, you aren't, you don't have permission to bill my card." "I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's what we're going to do.

Me that night: "Hello, American Express? I have a dispute to file."

We ended up getting refunded all the membership dues from the start of when Genesis bought out Gold's May 1st. Had they not been jerks, we would've just canceled and moved on with life.

Ma'am, My family and were outside and smelled natural gas. I went to the meter, and there is a hole in it. My mowers appear to have hit it with a mower and gas is whooshing out.

So many missed opportunities on that call. I mean it was obvious she was never going to get it anyway... totally could have had some fun there while waiting for the cops.

Here's how it should have gone -

You: Ma'am, My family and I were outside and smelled natural gas. I went to the meter, and there is a hole in it. My mowers appear to have hit it with a mower and gas is whooshing out.

You: No, I was making that part up.

You: A lot. Plus I had Mexican for lunch, so there's that.

You: I don't know, two hundred... three hundred gallons.

911: Is it spilling out into the road?

You: Ma'am, it's spilling out everywhere. Onto the road, onto the cars, the people, houses... the neighborhood is covered. Things are coming from together all over the damn place.

You: Well... the old lady across the street appears to be glowing green and my neighbor's dog has tentacles coming out the side of its head.

911: Ok, I am going to give you instructions. How many people have been contaminated?

You: I'd say the whole damn neighborhood. Christ... is that kid levitating?!

You: GOOD GOD, people are EATING each other! I have to g...

You (cont...): Oh my God... no... please... I'm a Cirrus Pilot for God's sake... you can't.... NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You: (dead)

911: Sir? Is there any fire? Sir....?

Oh well. At least your house didn't blow. Hope you fired the mower.

"I'd say the whole damn neighborhood. Christ... is that kid levitating?! "
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I am with you.
I called the gas company and checked with my neighbor. Both said try 911

I told the firemen "I hope I am not abusing the 911 system" They said "NO, this is a valid reason to call 911"
I was VERY hesitant.

The firemen basically said even though this was not life threatening, call 911.

I went back and forth a lot on this one.

twice, I've had 911 operators who seemed to me to be spring-loaded to the "this is not an emergency" assumption. Once, some asshats sped past my family and threw something that hit my, then, 9 year old daughter, who then fell to the ground screaming hysterically. I called to report it and got a lot of attitude from the 911 operator and eventually hung up on her. It turned out my daughter was ok. But, the way those kids in the car were speeding and swerving, they were endangering themselves and others.

The other time was a dog that was acting aggressive, making strange growling noises, and foaming at the mouth. After trying to get ahold of animal control, and being told to call 911, I again got an operator with a lot of attitude, who said that "this number is not for pet problems." As a result, I don't bother with 911 except for gunfire, house fire, or CPR in progress. So far, its worked, I haven't had to call them since. Not worth the hassle.

So many missed opportunities on that call. I mean it was obvious she was never going to get it anyway... totally could have had some fun there while waiting for the cops.

Here's how it should have gone -

You: Ma'am, My family and I were outside and smelled natural gas. I went to the meter, and there is a hole in it. My mowers appear to have hit it with a mower and gas is whooshing out.

You: No, I was making that part up.

You: A lot. Plus I had Mexican for lunch, so there's that.

You: I don't know, two hundred... three hundred gallons.

911: Is it spilling out into the road?

You: Ma'am, it's spilling out everywhere. Onto the road, onto the cars, the people, houses... the neighborhood is covered. Things are coming from together all over the damn place.

You: Well... the old lady across the street appears to be glowing green and my neighbor's dog has tentacles coming out the side of its head.

You: I'd say the whole damn neighborhood. Christ... is that kid levitating?!

You: GOOD GOD, people are EATING each other! I have to g...

You (cont...): Oh my God... no... please... I'm a Cirrus Pilot for God's sake... you can't.... NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You: (dead)

911: Sir? Is there any fire? Sir....?

Oh well. At least your house didn't blow. Hope you fired the mower.

Ha! Well done Ms Cajun, well done.

I actually have a gas odor inside one of the bathrooms. Think it's the toilet seal (and NOT me). All the traps (toilet, sink, tub) have water in them. Anyone have any other ideas? Plumber coming Monday, busy I guess.

Cajun you stay out of this! ;):D

I've had the opposite occur. Once we had a stove fire (the internal workings of the stove caught fire) but we killed the breaker and that put it out. We called the non-emergency number to get someone from the FD with FLIR out to make sure it was out. They sent EVERYONE. I was expecting one of those fire SUV's not 3 entire fire trucks!

Back