8,000 hr C-172

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Is 8,000hr Cessna 172 too high of hours, good maint. nice looking but all the moving parts have a lot of time on them and metal fatigue is with high time. Just how many times would you except a engine overhaul from a good shop, over and over same engine, again metal fatigue in the engine also.

I've seen an Arrow III with something like 16,000 hours on it and still passing inspection... YMMV

I’d wager many of the older model 172’s on the flight lines around the country have 8,000+ hours on them. In fact, one the 152’s at my airfield has close to 7,000hrs on it, so I’m sure it’s not that unusual.

If the airplane has been well maintained it should have plenty of good hours to give.

I mean you want a plane that’s been run regularly

Not every hour is equal. Was it an 8000 hour trainer near the coast...or a multigenerational family truckster???

Is 8,000hr Cessna 172 too high of hours, good maint.
metal fatigue is with high time.
Never really used TT as a make/break indicator. Why concern of metal fatigue?

FYI: you can possibly get more "metal fatigue" in a 1000 TT depending on type of operation it was used in. Have seen 70 year old aircraft in better shape than 5 year old aircraft. So it depends on more than TT.

I am sure the plane is fine but if you buy it then go to resell nobody will want it.... It would be a good bird for a flight school.

Reminds me of when one of our flight school’s 172’s was up for sale. One of the owners said to my student, “You fly that plane all the time, you should buy it”. His response was, “Hell no, that’s the plane I learned to land in, I know what it’s been through!” :)

The best flying 172 I've flown to date had around 13,000 hours on it at that time. Last time I flew it was over 5 years ago and it is still going. I imagine it has 15-17,000 hours on it by now.

Same with the 152, the best one I've flown has over 10,000 hours on it.

Both of those airplanes were rentals at a couple of the local FBOs. Without question, the worst (and scariest) airplanes I've flown and worked on to date were ones that people always seem to place a higher value on, that being the privately owned and operated airplanes.

Oh boy.

Don’t fly regularly and POA says the plane will rust apart.

Plane has been flown a bunch and has 8k hrs and you’re worried if it’s flown too much

Just can’t win

For me, I’d target a sub 5k airframe and have a DEEP prebuy done, actually even if the plane was 6mo old and had 100hrs I’d have a DEEP prebuy.

The 5k thing is just marketing reasons. I’ve seen planes flown by students and ham fisted people with 1200tt they were BEAT, I’ve see pro flown planes with 10k+ that were smooth as silk.
Which reminds me, for the first flight have the owner fly it and sit right seat to compare to book numbers, etc, but to also see how he flys it

Also why are you getting a 172? That’s like learning to ride a bike, buying a bike as a adult and still wanting one with training wheels on it

Last edited:
Not an expert, and many more folks here with depth with this kind of knowledge, but I believe an occasional flaw in older 172s is spar corrosion, above the cockpit? Tough o get a look at it. . .

My 182 has over 11,000 on it. It's cleaner than a lot I've seen with 1/4 the time.

but to also see how he flys it
Amen to that. Had a friend go up for a test flight in a plane he was thinking of buying, sat right seat, and watched the owner depart with cowl flaps closed and run the engines up to around 440 CHT.. It was a Mooney and owner claimed that there was nothing wrong flying it like that.. engine was high-ish time and he walked away

Also why are you getting a 172? That’s like learning to ride a bike, buying a bike as a adult and still wanting one with training wheels on it
Yes, this is the single best way to describe owning a 172. I'm saving this and using it.

The Cessna 172’s and 152’s at the local schools here in Vancouver pretty much all have 15,000+ hrs on them some topping 20,000. If I remember correctly the highest time 172 in the world had over 30,000 when it was retired from air taxi service.

I was a director of aircraft maintenance ina flight school. We used to sell the 172s off at around 12,000 hours, as that's where Cessna wants a bunch of NDI done on the airframe, and, typically, the upholstery and interior were shot, the engine was nearing TBO, the control cables and pulleys were worn out, stuff like that. Add it up and you can buy another 2000-hour airplane, spend the money on it instead and be ahead. However, as pointed out, there are schools running 20K hour airplanes, but I do wonder if they're paying attention to the weak spots.

The forward spar in the horizontal stab cracks out from the center hole when people push down on it to lift the nosewheel to turn the airplane on the ground. Cessna forbids that, and it's an expensive repair. I found one in an airplane bought sight unseen by some poor fellow; that spar was broken completely through and only the skin was holding stuff together. Another spot is the bottom of the aft doorposts, where the post cracks where it joins the gear box. Taxiing over rough ground, or landing in a crab, does that. It's hard to spot, but I found the posts cracked in a 2100-hour airplane we bought.

If you're going to buy an airplane, get an experienced and conscientious mechanic to do a thorough prebuy on it. Any big defects can be used to get the price down, perhaps enough to pay for the prebuy plus some margin to fix the issues.

Oh boy.... but to also see how he flys it

Amen to that. Had a friend go up for a test flight in a plane he was thinking of buying, sat right seat, and watched the owner depart with cowl flaps closed and run the engines up to around 440 CHT.. It was a Mooney and owner claimed that there was nothing wrong flying it like that.. engine was high-ish time and he walked away

Yes, this is the single best way to describe owning a 172. I'm saving this and using it.

Best advice yet for buying a plane... After a walk around and reading the log books. Knowing the owners pre/post flight routine and does he prep, drive, and put it up like a 30 year of Ford F-150 junk haul truck or treats it like a classic Ferrari?

Last edited:
Back